New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

evolution
Tomato Guru

USA
105 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2023 :  8:15:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not sure exactly when it started (within the past week or two), but my "Open File in Solution" dialog is showing all of the files in my UE4 solution directory (and I mean ALL files....including .uasset, .bmp, .uexp, every single file that exists in the directory containing my UE4 project, whether it's a text file or not). Naturally this means the "Open File In Solution" dialog takes a looooooong time to open. I'm sure I have accidentally enabled something somewhere that is causing this, but I haven't been able to figure it out.... HELP? :D

- In "Open File In Solution", I have "Show only files in the current solution" enabled
- Under VAX options, C/C++ directories, "Project defined" is selected and the other dropdown is "System Include Files". The list of directories includes all of the "Inc" folders that are inside Engine\Intermediate and Project\Intermediate
- Under VAX options, Game development, I have "Enable support for Unreal" enabled, everything else disabled. Plugin indexing set to "Referenced Only"
- in VS options, General, I have "Show Misc Files in Solution Explorer" disabled.
- In VS options, under VC++ Project Settings, I have "Solution Explorer Mode" set to "Show only files in project".

Edited to add: >In the "Open File In Solution" dialog, the "Project" listed for all of these extra files is [Solution]<

I've tried rebuilding symbol databases. I've tried deleting the hidden .vs folder that's in my UE4 solution directory. I've tried doing both at the same time.

I'm not sure what other settings are relevant but happy to post any other info that's useful. Any ideas what else I should check?

<license info snipped>
VA_X64.dll file version 10.9.2471.0 built 2022.11.25
DevEnv.exe version 17.4.33205.214 Community
msenv.dll version 17.0.33205.214
Comctl32.dll version 6.10.19041.1110
Windows 10 10.0 22H2 Build 19045.2486
20 processors (x86-64)
Language info: 1252, 0x409

Platform: Project defined
Stable Includes:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\Include\10.0.19041.0\cppwinrt;
C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\Include\10.0.19041.0\winrt;
C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\Include\10.0.19041.0\shared;
C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\Include\10.0.19041.0\um;
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\2022\Community\VC\Auxiliary\VS\UnitTest\include;
C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\Include\10.0.19041.0\ucrt;
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\2022\Community\VC\Auxiliary\VS\include;
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\2022\Community\VC\Tools\MSVC\14.34.31933\atlmfc\include;
C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\include\10.0.18362.0\winrt;
C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\include\10.0.18362.0\um;
C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\include\10.0.18362.0\shared;
C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\include\10.0.18362.0\ucrt;
C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\NETFXSDK\4.8\include\um;
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\2022\Community\VC\Tools\MSVC\14.34.31933\INCLUDE;
<<<<<
<list of every \Inc\ folder that exists in my UE4 project...snipped for privacy>
>>>>>
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2019\Community\DIA SDK\include;

Other Includes:

Stable Source Directories:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\Source\10.0.19041.0\ucrt;
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\2022\Community\VC\Auxiliary\VS\src;
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\2022\Community\VC\Tools\MSVC\14.34.31933\crt\src;
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\2022\Community\VC\Tools\MSVC\14.34.31933\atlmfc\src\atl;
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\2022\Community\VC\Tools\MSVC\14.34.31933\atlmfc\src\mfcm;
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\2022\Community\VC\Tools\MSVC\14.34.31933\atlmfc\src\mfc;

what could possibly go wrong? :D

Edited by - evolution on Jan 27 2023 8:22:20 PM

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18724 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2023 :  07:38:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you turn On:

VA Options -> Coloring and Attributes -> Show system symbols in italics

are UE symbols being shown in italics? I am just checking that in general VA's UE support is working correctly.

Which version of UE are you using? I am not sure this matters, but if I need to run tests here I can make sure I am running a similar version.

Can you please try creating a new, simple default C++ UE project, maybe one of the simple game types, to see what VA does inside that solution? It is possible that this odd problem is somehow solution specific.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

evolution
Tomato Guru

USA
105 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2023 :  2:59:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
UE symbols are not shown in italics with that setting (show system symbols in italics) enabled. I also have "Enable support for Unreal Engine" set to always. FWIW, my UE4 directory is on F, not C: program files. I build the engine from source, pulled down from P4, not installed from Epic Games launcher.

I'm using UE 4.27. Does not repro when I open a fresh solution/project, so it does seem solution specific.

Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18724 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2023 :  08:15:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In your VA about information, does it actually list all of the UE directories on F drive for you? If UE symbols are not being shown in italics then this suggests that you are running into a known limitation of VA's UE support, in that it won�t correctly pick up the Unreal Engine directory tree if it installed outside of "C:\Program Files\"

case=105950

to work around this problem can you please create a junction point link to point at the installed engine. So:

Create the directory "C:\Program Files\Epic Games\"

Open a command prompt inside this directory, running as administrator, and run the command:

mklink /J UE_4.27 "F:\UE4\4.27"

Where the second path is the directory where you have installed / placed Unreal Engine. This will create a directory link inside the Windows file system, so while Unreal Engine will appear to exist inside this Program Files sub-directory, is still where it was originally installed.

Now to update your project to use the new path, open the Unreal Engine editor via this junction point, so run:

C:\Program Files\Epic Games\UE_4.27\Engine\Binaries\Win64\UE4Editor.exe

and open your project. In Unreal Engine 4.x, use:

File menu -> Refresh Visual Studio Project

this will update the project to use the "C:\Program Files\" path of the junction point for the location of Unreal Engine, which is what Visual Assist is expecting. When you now load your solution VA should see UE installed to C drive, and VA's UE support should work correctly, including showing UE symbols in italics. This may also fix the Open File problem, since it sounds like VA isn't treating your UE solution as an actual UE solution correctly.

Go to Top of Page

evolution
Tomato Guru

USA
105 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2023 :  7:23:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was able to get it to show UE symbols in italics (after rebuilding symbol database and clearing out the hidden .vs folder), without needing to do the junction. But still have the issue of ALL files in my solution directory showing up in the Open File In Solution dialog, including .uasset, .uexp, .exe and everything else regardless of whether it's listed in the solution file or not.

Were you thinking that the junction would somehow help with VAX showing all files in the "Open File in Solution" dialog? That doesn't seem like it could anything to do with UE...right? Are there any circumstances under which VAX thinks it should show ALL files in the Open File dialog?

Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18724 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2023 :  07:11:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't know of any reason for all of the files to show up in the Open File dialog. I asked about the junction since the file list makes it sound like VA isn't handling the UE project correctly, so it made sense to try the junction point.

I have seen some odd results tied to the IDE setting:

IDE tools menu -> Options -> Environment -> Documents -> Show Miscellaneous files in Solution Explorer

but this setting would effect all solutions, and you have a solution specific problem. Plus you have already said this is turned Off for you.

As a work around, rather than a solution, if you right click into the file list in the Open File in Solution dialog, you can turn On "Display edit control for persistent filter", and using this filter you can filter out files you don't want to see. For example, you could add:

-.uasset -.uexp -.exe

and add extra filters for extra types that also need to be filtered out. But this doesn't explain what is going on here.

Are the problem solution and the test solution using the same version of UE, in the same location? I would assume they are, but I don't want to just assume.

If you open the test solution, that doesn't have the problem, what do you see for the VA stable include directories? I am assuming you have the platform set to "Project defined". Are you seeing all of your UE directories listed here for the test solution, as you are for the problem solution?

Go to Top of Page

evolution
Tomato Guru

USA
105 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2023 :  5:32:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I didn't realize there was a context menu in that [Open File In Solution] list!! And would ya look at that? There is menu item "Include all files in solution directories" that was enabled. I disabled that and the "problem" went away. :D I must have accidentally activated its keyboard shortcut when I had the dialog up, because I have Ctrl+D bound to something I use frequently.

Edited by - evolution on Feb 08 2023 8:20:29 PM
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18724 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2023 :  06:08:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I didn't even notice that option in the context menu myself - oops! I was focussing on the option I was looking for.

Yes, now you have found it, an incredibly obvious solution to an otherwise strange behaviour, I am glad this is so easy to fix, once we know where to look

Go to Top of Page

evolution
Tomato Guru

USA
105 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2023 :  12:19:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the help! Wouldn't have solved the problem without your suggestions (though probably my fault for always dismissing that "tips" dialog that pops up when you first install VAX :P) And happy to know about the "Display Edit Control for persistent filter" option - that will be handy!

Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18724 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2023 :  06:56:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I suspect you will find the filter control rather helpful. If you use it you might want to leave it visible, simply because if it is filtering out files, and you forget you are using it, you will have "missing" files but won't know why

As for using it, you can filter out files based on the directory they are in, useful for excluding blocks of files you aren't interested in, but still need to be parsed.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000