Main Site | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
User name:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your password?

All Forums
 Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 VA stops working after a while and crashes...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Woody

Czech Republic
30 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2017 :  07:30:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello,
I'm successfully using VA for a while, but recently it started behave in a way where usually during debugging and navigating through files it stops working. The navigation bar becomes completely empty even on files where it worked seconds ago (no split, no controls, no GO button) and I can't use alt-g in this file browsing and some other VA functionality. I can open other files though. Open File Solution works fine. Reopening the file or disabling/enabling VA doesn't help. Switching to other files can either lead to working navigation bar or not. If the Navigation bar is gone and I click on VA options icon, the dialog looks corrupted or VA causes a crash to Visual Studio. The VS restarts itself during a crash, so I can't see the crash callstack. I tried both VS2015 and VS2017, different VA versions (even a year old that worked fine before), rebuilding VA DB, clearing caches and resetting everything in the VS using:
devenv.exe /ResetSettings
devenv.exe /setup
devenv.exe /resetskippkgs
devenv.exe /InstallVSTemplates
I also tried disable multithreaded parsing or underclock CPU and RAM to increase stability. Nothing helped. It could be connected to either Ryzen 1800x CPU I'm using for a while or Win10 Fall Creators Update slow ring preview. I have no other problem regarding those two though. VS restarts helps for a while, until it's broken again.

How can I force VS to not restart during a crash to find out more? My info is:
License: [email protected] (Non-renewable license) Support ends 2018.04.08
VA_X.dll file version 10.9.2237.0 built 2017.10.03
DevEnv.exe version 15.0.27004.2002 Community
msenv.dll version 15.0.26929.2
Comctl32.dll version 6.10.16299.15
Windows 10 10.0 Build 16299
16 processors (x86-64, WOW64)
Language info: 1252, 0x409

Platform: Project defined
Stable Includes:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\8.1\Include\winrt;
C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\8.1\Include\shared;
C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\8.1\Include\um;
C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\Include\10.0.10240.0\ucrt;
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\VC\atlmfc\include;
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\VC\include;
C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\8.1\include;

Other Includes:

Stable Source Directories:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\Source\10.0.10240.0\ucrt;
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\VC\crt\src;
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\VC\atlmfc\src\atl;
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\VC\atlmfc\src\mfcm;
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\VC\atlmfc\src\mfc;

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18750 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2017 :  12:56:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Firstly apologies for this problem.

The navigation bar going blank makes me wonder if this is due to some form of resource limit being reached.

How many files do you have in your solution?

If you open VA's Open File in Solution dialog (Alt-Shift-O) the title bar contains two numbers. The first number is the number of files currently listed, which changes as you filter the list. The second number is the total number of files in the list, which is normally the number of files in your solution. What is this second number?

I am wondering if you are working with a particularly large solution, or a particularly large number of projects.

Can you please download and run Process Explorer:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/process-explorer

Once this is running, you can right click on the column headings to select which columns to show. At a first guess, the columns to turn on, and to keep an eye on, are:

Process Memory -> Working Set Size
Process Memory -> Peak Working Set Size
Process Memory -> GDI Objects
Process Memory -> USER Objects

can you see if any of these are getting larger over time, especially just before the crash?

For capturing a mini dump, ProcDump may be able to do this. Download it from here:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/procdump

then, with the IDE running, run the command:

procdump.exe -t devenv.exe ide_crash_exit.dmp

this should write out a mini dump when the IDE process terminates, or in this case, crashes. Hopefully this will actually tell us something about the crash, rather than how the crash is handled.

Another option, once you see the visual problems that tell you the crash is about to happen, grab a full dump of "devenv.exe", which will tell us about its current state. Combined with a screen shot or two of the visual problems, this may help to point us towards what is going wrong here.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18750 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2017 :  2:06:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you do get a mini dump, or even full dump, please submit the files via the form:

http://www.wholetomato.com/support/contact.asp

including this thread ID or URL in the description, so we can match it up.

Go to Top of Page

Woody

Czech Republic
30 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2017 :  12:32:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My solution is quite big. It's roughly 60 projects. The number of files in the Open file in Solution dialog is either 15094 with the "Show only files in the current solution" or 23157. I have the checkbox enabled all the time. I was able to attach to VS2017 by another VS2017 before it crashes, so I made a screenshot of the callstack and a crashdump with heap when it crashed. I can't send them through the form (reports Connection reset) while those files are attached, so I sent a link to Google Drive instead. Processexp.exe stats looks fine (similar to a situation where everything works fine). Capture of those are on the screenshot with the callstack.

Edited by - Woody on Oct 13 2017 12:49:59 PM
Go to Top of Page

Woody

Czech Republic
30 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2017 :  12:22:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For others, I was given this link:
https://support.wholetomato.com/default.asp?W730
that I will follow to find out any improvements
Go to Top of Page

Woody

Czech Republic
30 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2017 :  03:55:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nothing helped yet from the page. Looks really related to the Win10 Fall Creators Update I mentioned as other reports appeared since the recent official release.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18750 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2017 :  07:23:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Were you using the preview of the Fall Creators Update? This thread started before the release of the final fall creators update, so I just want to check this. I am not aware of any reports of problems due to earlier Windows 10 updates.

Go to Top of Page

Woody

Czech Republic
30 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2017 :  1:47:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, I mentioned it in the beginning of this thread "It could be connected to either Ryzen 1800x CPU I'm using for a while or Win10 Fall Creators Update slow ring preview."
Go to Top of Page

phillipfoose

USA
23 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2017 :  1:54:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just updated to the fall creators update (also updated visual studio to 15.4.1 recently), and since that time visual assist has also been acting up (short cuts not working, a few hangs, where upon restart visual studio warned that the visual assist extension was acting up and did I want to disable it). Unsure if it's the exact issue here or not, but I can try and provide more information if it's not the same issue).

License: xxxxxxx Support ends 2017.10.10
VA_X.dll file version 10.9.2237.0 built 2017.10.03
DevEnv.exe version 15.0.27004.2005 Professional
msenv.dll version 15.0.26929.2
Comctl32.dll version 6.10.16299.19
Windows 10 10.0 Build 16299
12 processors (x86-64, WOW64)
Language info: 1252, 0x409

Platform: Project defined
Stable Includes:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\8.1\Include\winrt;
C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\8.1\Include\shared;
C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\8.1\Include\um;
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Professional\VC\Auxiliary\VS\UnitTest\include;
C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\Include\10.0.10240.0\ucrt;
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Professional\VC\Auxiliary\VS\include;
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Professional\VC\Tools\MSVC\14.11.25503\atlmfc\include;
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Professional\VC\Tools\MSVC\14.11.25503\include;

Other Includes:

Stable Source Directories:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\Source\10.0.10240.0\ucrt;
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Professional\VC\Auxiliary\VS\src;
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Professional\VC\Tools\MSVC\14.11.25503\crt\src;
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Professional\VC\Tools\MSVC\14.11.25503\atlmfc\src\atl;
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Professional\VC\Tools\MSVC\14.11.25503\atlmfc\src\mfcm;
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Professional\VC\Tools\MSVC\14.11.25503\atlmfc\src\mfc;

Go to Top of Page

phillipfoose

USA
23 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2017 :  2:02:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Adding to this -

"A previous session terminated unexpectedly. Disabling extension 'Visual Assist 10.9.2337.0' might help prevent similar issues."

Appears after the ide crashes and restarting.

I've tried clearing/rebuilding all the caches, deleting all temporary Visual Studio files, etc but doesn't seem to help.

I've had very odd behavior such as typing the a . not showing up under the cursor but within another editor window.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18750 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2017 :  2:28:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Woody, apologies, I missed that. I had not thought anything of the Windows level at the time, and it had completely slipped my mind. It does seem like you are seeing the same problem that is currently being investigated.

phillipfoose, most of what you are seeing sounds similar, but I think this is the first time anyone has mentioned a dot going to the wrong code file. Can you look and see if you have:

"Show Miscellaneous files in Solution Explorer" in Tools|Options|Environment|Documents.

turned On? Having this turned On has been known to cause characters to go to the wrong code file, due to a bug in the IDE. Or it could be another symptom of the Windows Fall update, or something else again.

Go to Top of Page

phillipfoose

USA
23 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2017 :  2:41:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by feline
phillipfoose, most of what you are seeing sounds similar, but I think this is the first time anyone has mentioned a dot going to the wrong code file. Can you look and see if you have:

"Show Miscellaneous files in Solution Explorer" in Tools|Options|Environment|Documents.

turned On? Having this turned On has been known to cause characters to go to the wrong code file, due to a bug in the IDE. Or it could be another symptom of the Windows Fall update, or something else again.

This is not turned on, and i'd never noticed it until this morning when the update and general strangeness started occurring.
Go to Top of Page

TaeYoung

2 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2017 :  8:06:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I��m experiencing the same issue. I don��t know since when this started exactly, but I guess it started after I updated to vs2017 to 15.4.1. I updated my window to fall-creator too. too.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18750 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2017 :  07:52:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Apologies for this. We are currently looking into this, and trying to find a solution. For now, does it make any difference if you turn Off:

VA Options -> Display -> Display VA Navigation Bar:

to stop VA showing its navigation bar?

case=111864

Go to Top of Page

TaeYoung

2 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2017 :  11:21:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
disabling navigation doesn't make difference. It still stops working;

I can't do my work fast. :(
Go to Top of Page

phillipfoose

USA
23 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2017 :  12:16:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by feline

Apologies for this. We are currently looking into this, and trying to find a solution. For now, does it make any difference if you turn Off:

VA Options -> Display -> Display VA Navigation Bar:

to stop VA showing its navigation bar?

case=111864

It definitely seems more stable in terms of crashing, but the functionality is still not fully restored, with the navigation bar disabled.

Edited by - phillipfoose on Oct 23 2017 12:16:24 PM
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18750 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2017 :  1:25:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We are working on this problem, and searching for a reliable solution.

Is restarting the IDE at the first sign of problems an option? It depends if you get any warning that things are starting to go wrong, before the IDE crashes.

If not, disabling VA via:

IDE tools menu -> Extensions and Updates...

may be the best answer until we have a new build that hopefully fixes this problem.

Go to Top of Page

MagicRatFish

USA
4 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2017 :  1:33:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I upgraded VS form 15.3.5 to 15.4.1 and immediately noticed severe stability issues with Visual Assist. Made sure I was running lasted VA (10.9.2237) Lots of crashing with VS blaming VA. Many features of VA (like control double clicking a symbol to go to its definition) are sporadic. Whole Tomato, if you need help replicating, let me know.

---
15+ year Visual Assist veteran - Cant work without it.
Go to Top of Page

sean
Whole Tomato Software

USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2017 :  1:57:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
@MagicRatFish -- are you on Windows 10? If so, do you have the Fall Creators Update?
Go to Top of Page

MagicRatFish

USA
4 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2017 :  3:01:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sean

@MagicRatFish -- are you on Windows 10? If so, do you have the Fall Creators Update?

Yes and Yes
Go to Top of Page

sean
Whole Tomato Software

USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2017 :  3:08:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
@MagicRatFish do you recall if you updated to 15.4.1 before or after installing the Fall Creators Update?
Go to Top of Page

MagicRatFish

USA
4 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2017 :  4:06:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

@MagicRatFish do you recall if you updated to 15.4.1 before or after installing the Fall Creators Update?

After. I think I updated to 15.4.1 yesterday and Creators Update on Friday.
Go to Top of Page

phillipfoose

USA
23 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2017 :  4:32:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

To add to this i'd installed 15.4.1 before updating to the creators update...
Go to Top of Page

Dracola

15 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2017 :  6:38:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am also hitting this. Similar to other got updated to creators update just today, and had 15.4.1 prior to update.
Go to Top of Page

Dracola

15 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2017 :  7:06:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One interesting thing to note is I had VA enabled, then I disabled it through the VA enable/disable. I still got a crash after a bit. Now that it's disabled through VS itself I don't get anymore crashes.
Go to Top of Page

Myria

USA
7 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2017 :  7:51:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm running into the same problem. VS 15.4.0 installed before Windows 10 16299. I have not updated from 15.4.0 to 15.4.1, though, so the .1 doesn't appear to be part of the problem.
Go to Top of Page

sean
Whole Tomato Software

USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2017 :  7:55:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the updates. Due to the nature of the problem, it'll probably take a few builds to nail down. We'll have a beta build in the next day or two with preliminary changes that help but do not completely fix it.

The root problem is that CreateWindowEx is failing intermittently. The crashes occur when Visual Studio asks us for an hwnd and the OS is unable to create one. The blank windows/space show that VA is able to cope with the failed hwnd creation (ie, not crash) but we can't prevent VS from crashing when it expects an hwnd.

Crash is less likely to occur if, when you encounter an active/focused editor that has a blank space where the VA Nav Bar is supposed to be, you close the editor.

If you do get a crash, you can identify the situation via find this managed exception:
System.InvalidOperationException: 'BuildWindowCore failed to return the hosted child window handle.'

Edited by - sean on Oct 23 2017 8:13:27 PM
Go to Top of Page

Dracola

15 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2017 :  8:15:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Did a bit of investigation here... Some folks seem to have hit and fixed a creators update regression in thread below. tldr; passing WS_EX_COMPOSITED to CreateWindowEx seems to cause issues, as does LWA_COLORKEY to SetLayeredWindowAttributes. Not sure if related...

relevant posts:
https://www.unknowncheats.me/forum/1778611-post6.html
https://www.unknowncheats.me/forum/1782126-post9.html
Go to Top of Page

sean
Whole Tomato Software

USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2017 :  11:09:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the links -- though it doesn't appear to be related, there is some comfort knowing that VA isn't the only application affected by strange change in behavior.
Go to Top of Page

sean
Whole Tomato Software

USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2017 :  4:09:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's a preliminary build that is undergoing testing:
https://www.wholetomato.com/binaries/VA_X_Setup2238_0.exe

Consider this a beta build that does appear to improve the situation for some users.
Go to Top of Page

phillipfoose

USA
23 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2017 :  9:22:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Here's a preliminary build that is undergoing testing:
https://www.wholetomato.com/binaries/VA_X_Setup2238_0.exe

Consider this a beta build that does appear to improve the situation for some users.

This has been a definite improvement in terms of stability, but still getting the occasional crash and functionality breaking.

I am curious what's going to happen in terms of maintenance licenses for those affected by this...
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000