Main Site | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
User name:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your password?

All Forums
 Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 VA stops working after a while and crashes...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

sean
Whole Tomato Software

USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2017 :  10:30:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Regarding "what's going to happen in terms of maintenance licenses", there is no plan to do anything different than the way we have operated for at least the last decade.

If you are out of maintenance and don't want to renew maintenance, your options are:
- try rolling back the Fall Creators Update
- wait to see if Microsoft acknowledges and then addresses problems introduced in FCU
- wait to see if Visual Studio team decides to change how to respond to HWND creation failure in a future VS update

Don't renew maintenance because you think it will get you a build with a fix. At this point, we don't really have a fix for the unreliable behavior of FCU.
Go to Top of Page

MagicRatFish

USA
4 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2017 :  11:03:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just so you know I rolled back the Fall Creator Update and everything is back to normal. Whew. I will wait for confirmation that this is fully fixed before I update. Thank you.
Go to Top of Page

sean
Whole Tomato Software

USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2017 :  11:18:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Glad to hear the rollback made a difference.

Beware of a different source of crashes in pre-FCU Win 10. This update is a source of crashes:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4038788/windows-10-update-kb4038788

The problem has been acknowledged and a fix is pending release -- but I don't have any details regarding whether there will be separate updates for FCU and pre-FCU, or if the fix will only be applied to FCU.

The symptoms of the bug introduced in kb4038788 are a bit different than the FCU problems. The FCU problems have symptoms like empty VA Nav Bar and/or crash due to unhandled System.InvalidOperationException with detail 'BuildWindowCore failed to return the hosted child window handle.'

The kb4038788 bug can result in a crash when opening:
VAssistX | Visual Assist Options
VAssistX | Help | About
VAssistX | Help | Keyboard Shortcuts
VAssistX | Help | Tip of the Day

The crash occurs in a native frame at a typically invalid address called from CallHookWithSEH or DispatchHookA/W.
Go to Top of Page

Woody

Czech Republic
30 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2017 :  04:49:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Unfortunately it's just slightly better. VA Find Reference Result window now isn't always empty, but the empty Nav bar and crashes are still there.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18751 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2017 :  07:06:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for the update. If you keep an eye out for the empty Nav bar, and close the editor window as soon as you see this happening, does this help?

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

sean
Whole Tomato Software

USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2017 :  6:18:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Individuals at Microsoft are 95% certain that the crashes and broken/missing windows currently afflicting Visual Assist will be fixed in the November Patch Tuesday fixes for Windows 10. We so far have not been able to get steps to repro the problems to them. If we can get steps to repro, or a vm image where it is occurring, they will be able to definitively determine whether the problem is already addressed in their Windows 10 daily builds. My understanding is that Patch Tuesday is the second Tuesday of the month, so we are looking at Nov 14 for a potential fix.
Go to Top of Page

dgallo

28 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2017 :  05:11:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello Sean,

I'm experiencing this bug (Windows 10 FCU), hiding Navigation bar helps a little, but once the bug appears, the only way to recover is to restart Visual Studio (2015 or 2017).
Unfortunately, this bug occurs every time with no pattern to reproduce, only using VS for 30 minutes to two hours.

I don't know if you can have a beta of the microsoft fix, but if you can obtain it, I can test, as this bug is occurring very frequently on my PC.
Go to Top of Page

sean
Whole Tomato Software

USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2017 :  12:36:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This update to build 2238 addresses one particular crash in the VA Options dialog that occurs when CreateWindow fails:
https://www.wholetomato.com/binaries/VA_X_Setup2238_1.exe

See also "Recent Updates to Microsoft Windows 10 Cause Failures" at https://www.wholetomato.com/downloads/default.asp

@dgallo It's unlikely that beta of the Microsoft fix is available externally, but I have asked my contact if anything is possible. Also, rather than hide the VA Nav Bar, leave it enabled and then do Windows | Close All Documents if you see it non-functional. If you ctrl+tab or click to another tab after it is non-functional, you are more likely to experience the uncaught System.InvalidOperationException crash.
Go to Top of Page

Woody

Czech Republic
30 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2017 :  2:36:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Did anyone tried the recently released Windows 10 Insider Preview 17025.1000 (rs_prerelease)? I can't rollback the FCU (I have it installed for too long) and have no spare time to reinstall clean windows and everything else. As I can't work with and without VA, I'm desperate :(
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18751 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2017 :  3:55:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have you tried installing VA 2238.1 yet? This should help a bit.

Beyond this, if you keep an eye out for the VA navigation bar not being shown in a new tab, and close all open documents as soon as this happens, this should help to limit the number of crashes and problems you encounter.

Go to Top of Page

dgallo

28 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2017 :  4:19:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm using VA 2238.1 and this build is far more stable than the 2238.
Go to Top of Page

sean
Whole Tomato Software

USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2017 :  5:58:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We received an update today and unfortunately, the news is discouraging. The CreateWindow* bug is not going to be fixed in the November Patch Tuesday. The current thinking is that the best case scenario is a fix for patch Tuesday in December. There is a bug fix coming in the November Patch Tuesday for a bug that causes crashes, but those crashes (introduced in a September Win 10 update) do not appear to be nearly as frequent as the CreateWindow* failures that started with Fall Creators Update.

Edited by - sean on Nov 02 2017 5:59:48 PM
Go to Top of Page

Woody

Czech Republic
30 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2017 :  03:51:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As you can see on this amusingly corrupted VA options, it should be the 2238.1

Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18751 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2017 :  06:56:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Were you able to close the VA options dialog, and all open windows at this point to stop the IDE from crashing?

Go to Top of Page

Woody

Czech Republic
30 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2017 :  05:29:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I didn't try that, but if I realize the Nav bar corruption and close all open files windows and reopen another one, it still has its nav bar missing.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18751 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2017 :  09:08:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Apologies for this, this is not that we were hoping for. Once you notice the VA navigation bar is missing, does restarting the IDE help at all?

Go to Top of Page

Woody

Czech Republic
30 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2017 :  04:30:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, restarting Visual Studio always fixes it for a while.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18751 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2017 :  06:45:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you, at least this is one small piece of good news. For now it looks like the IDE restart is going to have to be the work around, while we look for more fixes we can make, and wait for a patch from Microsoft. Thank you for your patience, and help in tracking down when this is happening.

Go to Top of Page

Dracola

15 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2017 :  12:57:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I rolled back windows a bit ago which was surprisingly painless. Didn't even take that long. Would recommend. Pause updating after you do it or it'll try to send you back.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18751 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2017 :  3:05:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for the update, I am glad this is a good work around for you for now.

Go to Top of Page

accord
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
3287 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2017 :  7:00:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've never done a rollback but I'm glad and also surprised it was quick and painless.
Go to Top of Page

Kim Power

USA
2 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2017 :  6:08:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am also experiencing this issue. It has ground my productivity to a halt. I was able to rollback the Fall Creators Update and install 2238.1, but it still crashes a LOT. I tried working without Visual Assist and with what I am doing, it is just painfully slow.

My project is based on Epic's Unreal code base. The project has 29k files in the current solution and 40k files overall. This is largely because Unreal is such a large codebase. If you are having issues reproducing these issues, I might suggest downloading the Unreal codebase as a test case. It is free to download, you only need to pay if you use it to ship a video game. It seems from other users, that large codebases may be part of the issue.

Please, please, please, fix this before the December Microsoft patch. I am going to go insane if I have to wait that long to use Visual Assist again.

Kimberly Power
Go to Top of Page

sean
Whole Tomato Software

USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2017 :  6:13:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
@Kim -- if you can capture a crash dump, zip it up and upload it at https://www.wholetomato.com/support/contact.asp

The December Patch Tuesday is for the suspected Fall Creators Update bug. If you rolled back, then you may be encountering the broken hook proc bug which is expected to be fixed next Tuesday.
Go to Top of Page

Dracola

15 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2017 :  6:28:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I develop on Unreal and haven't hit any issues since rolling back so I don't think it's necessarily related to that.
Go to Top of Page

sean
Whole Tomato Software

USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2017 :  12:24:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you are using 2238.0 or 2238.1, 2238.2 is now available:
https://www.wholetomato.com/binaries/VA_X_Setup2238_2.exe

It is a minor update over 2238.1 -- it adds retries after failed attempts to display VA menus (like alt+g goto).

2238.2 is now the current release on our download page.
Go to Top of Page

Kim Power

USA
2 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2017 :  7:07:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well it still crashes with 2238.2. In fact, I opened the project and had it sitting open without even interacting with MS Dev and it crashed before I had even done anything. =(

Kimberly Power
Go to Top of Page

sean
Whole Tomato Software

USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2017 :  7:15:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
@Kim if you are able to capture a minidump of the crash, you can zip it and upload to https://www.wholetomato.com/support/contact.asp -- we will at least be able to tell if the crash is due to the hook bug whose fix we expect next week.
Go to Top of Page

Dracola

15 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2017 :  2:57:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good new update! I got the Dec 12 update, and it does appear to have worked. I haven't had a crash yet today. I'll update here if I do see any issues.

You can manually install the update from http://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=KB4054517, but I was able to get it through normal update process.
Go to Top of Page

sean
Whole Tomato Software

USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2017 :  2:58:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the update.
Go to Top of Page

Dracola

15 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2017 :  4:48:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
May have been a bit early on that... Just got a crash. Seems like the crashes I was getting with Vax in the past. I'll disable and see if that fixes it..
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000