Whole Tomato Software Forums
Whole Tomato Software Forums
Main Site | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 VA stops working after a while and crashes...

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Woody Posted - Oct 12 2017 : 07:30:20 AM
Hello,
I'm successfully using VA for a while, but recently it started behave in a way where usually during debugging and navigating through files it stops working. The navigation bar becomes completely empty even on files where it worked seconds ago (no split, no controls, no GO button) and I can't use alt-g in this file browsing and some other VA functionality. I can open other files though. Open File Solution works fine. Reopening the file or disabling/enabling VA doesn't help. Switching to other files can either lead to working navigation bar or not. If the Navigation bar is gone and I click on VA options icon, the dialog looks corrupted or VA causes a crash to Visual Studio. The VS restarts itself during a crash, so I can't see the crash callstack. I tried both VS2015 and VS2017, different VA versions (even a year old that worked fine before), rebuilding VA DB, clearing caches and resetting everything in the VS using:
devenv.exe /ResetSettings
devenv.exe /setup
devenv.exe /resetskippkgs
devenv.exe /InstallVSTemplates
I also tried disable multithreaded parsing or underclock CPU and RAM to increase stability. Nothing helped. It could be connected to either Ryzen 1800x CPU I'm using for a while or Win10 Fall Creators Update slow ring preview. I have no other problem regarding those two though. VS restarts helps for a while, until it's broken again.

How can I force VS to not restart during a crash to find out more? My info is:
License: [email protected] (Non-renewable license) Support ends 2018.04.08
VA_X.dll file version 10.9.2237.0 built 2017.10.03
DevEnv.exe version 15.0.27004.2002 Community
msenv.dll version 15.0.26929.2
Comctl32.dll version 6.10.16299.15
Windows 10 10.0 Build 16299
16 processors (x86-64, WOW64)
Language info: 1252, 0x409

Platform: Project defined
Stable Includes:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\8.1\Include\winrt;
C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\8.1\Include\shared;
C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\8.1\Include\um;
C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\Include\10.0.10240.0\ucrt;
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\VC\atlmfc\include;
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\VC\include;
C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\8.1\include;

Other Includes:

Stable Source Directories:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\Source\10.0.10240.0\ucrt;
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\VC\crt\src;
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\VC\atlmfc\src\atl;
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\VC\atlmfc\src\mfcm;
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\VC\atlmfc\src\mfc;

30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
sean Posted - Dec 18 2017 : 7:22:01 PM
case=112698 was opened for the Code Inspection crash that started with the 15.5 update.
case=112698 is fixed in build 2248.
Dracola Posted - Dec 13 2017 : 5:29:49 PM
I am on 15.5, and I did have that enabled, so probably (hopefully) it. Disabled it. I'll update here if I hit any crashes after this.
sean Posted - Dec 13 2017 : 5:03:09 PM
What version of VS are you using? If you are on VS2017 15.5 or greater, make sure to disable Code Inspection due to a change in headers that crash the Code Inspection parser (fix coming this week).
Dracola Posted - Dec 13 2017 : 4:48:51 PM
May have been a bit early on that... Just got a crash. Seems like the crashes I was getting with Vax in the past. I'll disable and see if that fixes it..
sean Posted - Dec 13 2017 : 2:58:03 PM
Thanks for the update.
Dracola Posted - Dec 13 2017 : 2:57:07 PM
Good new update! I got the Dec 12 update, and it does appear to have worked. I haven't had a crash yet today. I'll update here if I do see any issues.

You can manually install the update from http://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=KB4054517, but I was able to get it through normal update process.
sean Posted - Nov 10 2017 : 7:15:51 PM
@Kim if you are able to capture a minidump of the crash, you can zip it and upload to https://www.wholetomato.com/support/contact.asp -- we will at least be able to tell if the crash is due to the hook bug whose fix we expect next week.
Kim Power Posted - Nov 10 2017 : 7:07:18 PM
Well it still crashes with 2238.2. In fact, I opened the project and had it sitting open without even interacting with MS Dev and it crashed before I had even done anything. =(
sean Posted - Nov 10 2017 : 12:24:34 AM
If you are using 2238.0 or 2238.1, 2238.2 is now available:
https://www.wholetomato.com/binaries/VA_X_Setup2238_2.exe

It is a minor update over 2238.1 -- it adds retries after failed attempts to display VA menus (like alt+g goto).

2238.2 is now the current release on our download page.
Dracola Posted - Nov 09 2017 : 6:28:18 PM
I develop on Unreal and haven't hit any issues since rolling back so I don't think it's necessarily related to that.
sean Posted - Nov 09 2017 : 6:13:07 PM
@Kim -- if you can capture a crash dump, zip it up and upload it at https://www.wholetomato.com/support/contact.asp

The December Patch Tuesday is for the suspected Fall Creators Update bug. If you rolled back, then you may be encountering the broken hook proc bug which is expected to be fixed next Tuesday.
Kim Power Posted - Nov 09 2017 : 6:08:22 PM
I am also experiencing this issue. It has ground my productivity to a halt. I was able to rollback the Fall Creators Update and install 2238.1, but it still crashes a LOT. I tried working without Visual Assist and with what I am doing, it is just painfully slow.

My project is based on Epic's Unreal code base. The project has 29k files in the current solution and 40k files overall. This is largely because Unreal is such a large codebase. If you are having issues reproducing these issues, I might suggest downloading the Unreal codebase as a test case. It is free to download, you only need to pay if you use it to ship a video game. It seems from other users, that large codebases may be part of the issue.

Please, please, please, fix this before the December Microsoft patch. I am going to go insane if I have to wait that long to use Visual Assist again.
accord Posted - Nov 06 2017 : 7:00:55 PM
I've never done a rollback but I'm glad and also surprised it was quick and painless.
feline Posted - Nov 06 2017 : 3:05:12 PM
Thank you for the update, I am glad this is a good work around for you for now.
Dracola Posted - Nov 06 2017 : 12:57:37 PM
I rolled back windows a bit ago which was surprisingly painless. Didn't even take that long. Would recommend. Pause updating after you do it or it'll try to send you back.
feline Posted - Nov 06 2017 : 06:45:14 AM
Thank you, at least this is one small piece of good news. For now it looks like the IDE restart is going to have to be the work around, while we look for more fixes we can make, and wait for a patch from Microsoft. Thank you for your patience, and help in tracking down when this is happening.
Woody Posted - Nov 06 2017 : 04:30:56 AM
Yes, restarting Visual Studio always fixes it for a while.
feline Posted - Nov 05 2017 : 09:08:16 AM
Apologies for this, this is not that we were hoping for. Once you notice the VA navigation bar is missing, does restarting the IDE help at all?
Woody Posted - Nov 05 2017 : 05:29:21 AM
I didn't try that, but if I realize the Nav bar corruption and close all open files windows and reopen another one, it still has its nav bar missing.
feline Posted - Nov 03 2017 : 06:56:26 AM
Were you able to close the VA options dialog, and all open windows at this point to stop the IDE from crashing?
Woody Posted - Nov 03 2017 : 03:51:03 AM
As you can see on this amusingly corrupted VA options, it should be the 2238.1

sean Posted - Nov 02 2017 : 5:58:45 PM
We received an update today and unfortunately, the news is discouraging. The CreateWindow* bug is not going to be fixed in the November Patch Tuesday. The current thinking is that the best case scenario is a fix for patch Tuesday in December. There is a bug fix coming in the November Patch Tuesday for a bug that causes crashes, but those crashes (introduced in a September Win 10 update) do not appear to be nearly as frequent as the CreateWindow* failures that started with Fall Creators Update.
dgallo Posted - Nov 02 2017 : 4:19:37 PM
I'm using VA 2238.1 and this build is far more stable than the 2238.
feline Posted - Nov 02 2017 : 3:55:37 PM
Have you tried installing VA 2238.1 yet? This should help a bit.

Beyond this, if you keep an eye out for the VA navigation bar not being shown in a new tab, and close all open documents as soon as this happens, this should help to limit the number of crashes and problems you encounter.
Woody Posted - Nov 02 2017 : 2:36:13 PM
Did anyone tried the recently released Windows 10 Insider Preview 17025.1000 (rs_prerelease)? I can't rollback the FCU (I have it installed for too long) and have no spare time to reinstall clean windows and everything else. As I can't work with and without VA, I'm desperate :(
sean Posted - Oct 30 2017 : 12:36:27 PM
This update to build 2238 addresses one particular crash in the VA Options dialog that occurs when CreateWindow fails:
https://www.wholetomato.com/binaries/VA_X_Setup2238_1.exe

See also "Recent Updates to Microsoft Windows 10 Cause Failures" at https://www.wholetomato.com/downloads/default.asp

@dgallo It's unlikely that beta of the Microsoft fix is available externally, but I have asked my contact if anything is possible. Also, rather than hide the VA Nav Bar, leave it enabled and then do Windows | Close All Documents if you see it non-functional. If you ctrl+tab or click to another tab after it is non-functional, you are more likely to experience the uncaught System.InvalidOperationException crash.
dgallo Posted - Oct 29 2017 : 05:11:46 AM
Hello Sean,

I'm experiencing this bug (Windows 10 FCU), hiding Navigation bar helps a little, but once the bug appears, the only way to recover is to restart Visual Studio (2015 or 2017).
Unfortunately, this bug occurs every time with no pattern to reproduce, only using VS for 30 minutes to two hours.

I don't know if you can have a beta of the microsoft fix, but if you can obtain it, I can test, as this bug is occurring very frequently on my PC.
sean Posted - Oct 27 2017 : 6:18:29 PM
Individuals at Microsoft are 95% certain that the crashes and broken/missing windows currently afflicting Visual Assist will be fixed in the November Patch Tuesday fixes for Windows 10. We so far have not been able to get steps to repro the problems to them. If we can get steps to repro, or a vm image where it is occurring, they will be able to definitively determine whether the problem is already addressed in their Windows 10 daily builds. My understanding is that Patch Tuesday is the second Tuesday of the month, so we are looking at Nov 14 for a potential fix.
feline Posted - Oct 26 2017 : 07:06:41 AM
Thank you for the update. If you keep an eye out for the empty Nav bar, and close the editor window as soon as you see this happening, does this help?
Woody Posted - Oct 26 2017 : 04:49:19 AM
Unfortunately it's just slightly better. VA Find Reference Result window now isn't always empty, but the empty Nav bar and crashes are still there.

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000