Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

jeevcat

Germany
39 Posts

Posted - May 25 2017 :  2:53:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm not getting any crashes, but I'm not really sure what I should be doing to try to cause a crash. I'm editing and compiling and debugging without a crash.

Could it be the case that VA is crashing without causing VS to crash, and then VS crashes due to VA being crashed?
Go to Top of Page

sean
Whole Tomato Software

USA
2817 Posts

Posted - May 25 2017 :  3:05:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Try opening 10 files in your solution and ctrl-tabbing between them a few times.

How much memory is VS using when your solution is loaded without VA?

How much memory is it using when VA stops working before VS crashes?

Does the crash with VA enabled in VS2015 happen if Code Inspection is disabled?
Go to Top of Page

jeevcat

Germany
39 Posts

Posted - May 25 2017 :  3:20:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Opening 10 files and Ctrl-Tabbing doesn't cause a crash.

VS uses 489.5 MB memory without VA installed.

I'm installing VA again now.

Edited by - jeevcat on May 25 2017 3:25:55 PM
Go to Top of Page

jeevcat

Germany
39 Posts

Posted - May 25 2017 :  3:26:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Freshly loaded solution is using 655 MB with VA reinstalled -- Code Inspection is disabled again.
Go to Top of Page

jeevcat

Germany
39 Posts

Posted - May 26 2017 :  04:25:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Without Code Inspection, VS actually seems a lot more stable. It didn't seem to help too much on VS 2017, but back on VS 2015 without Code Inspection seems to help.

I've still been running with the debugger attached, in the hopes of catching an exception, which I managed to get. I've emailed a crash dump just now. It occurred when I tried to open the VA settings window, in VAOpsWin.dll.
Go to Top of Page

sean
Whole Tomato Software

USA
2817 Posts

Posted - May 26 2017 :  1:41:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Glad to hear of some improvement. I suspect memory exhaustion due to Code Inspection was causing random problems. We are continuing to work on that.

Regarding the settings window, after you captured the dump, did you try to let it continue or was it a hard crash?
Do you know what settings page was being displayed by default?
Do you recall if it was the first time you had opened the dialog in that instance of Visual Studio?
Go to Top of Page

jeevcat

Germany
39 Posts

Posted - May 30 2017 :  04:28:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry for the delayed reply. In response to your questions:

Yes it was a hard crash - I was unable to continue.
I couldn't tell you with certainty which settings page was displayed by default, but it may very likely have been the Code Inspection settings menu as I had just disabled code inspection previously.
It was definitely the first time I had opened the settings menu, as I had very recently loaded the solution in a fresh instance of VS.

Just to clarify the issue: I almost always notice peculiarities/broken VA features before a hard crash occurs. It seems as if a "soft crash" is occuring within VA which eventually causes VS to die.

Should I still be trying to get minidumps to submit? Thanks for the continued support.
Go to Top of Page

sean
Whole Tomato Software

USA
2817 Posts

Posted - May 30 2017 :  5:53:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
>Yes it was a hard crash - I was unable to continue.

Thanks for the details.

>Should I still be trying to get minidumps to submit?

I will forward another update, but yes, if you experience a crash, submit a minidump.
Go to Top of Page

jeevcat

Germany
39 Posts

Posted - May 31 2017 :  12:59:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just noticed the new build in my inbox. Thanks for that. I'll keep testing and see if I can catch any more crashes.
Go to Top of Page

jeevcat

Germany
39 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2017 :  06:07:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've forwarded another dump file.

Unfortunately, it looks like I'm only able to catch crashes after VA has stopped working. The call stack doesn't have any VA DLLs in it.

Also it was very obvious that VA had stopped working before this crash. Even the code color highlighting was not working correctly.

Go to Top of Page

sean
Whole Tomato Software

USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2017 :  12:57:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't see any new files or messages in the case. Did you use the contact form or send email?
Go to Top of Page

jeevcat

Germany
39 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2017 :  1:41:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I sent an email. Should I try the contact form instead?
Go to Top of Page

sean
Whole Tomato Software

USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2017 :  1:50:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, please try using the contact form https://www.wholetomato.com/support/contact.asp . It supports large attachments. Reference the case number in the subject field
Go to Top of Page

jeevcat

Germany
39 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2017 :  2:02:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have just uploaded the dump to the form, as requested.
Go to Top of Page

sean
Whole Tomato Software

USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2017 :  4:40:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We received the dump and it is basically the same as the one I commented on in the thread post dated May 25 at 2:07:48 PM.

Next time, please capture a full heap dump. The dump will likely be over a GB. Zip the file, upload the zip using the contact form and put "case 107979" in the subject.
Go to Top of Page

jeevcat

Germany
39 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2017 :  02:09:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm just uploading a dumpfile with heap now.

This crash actually happened in a VA DLL. VA stopped working at some point, so I tried to cause a crash -- and managed to get one when I went to the VA settings menu.
Go to Top of Page

sean
Whole Tomato Software

USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2017 :  3:18:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for sending the dump. Most of these crash dumps have been related to window creation failures and this one is similar. Some of the window creation failures are in VA code and we can definitely add more error checks, but we can't add failure checks to Visual Studio code that assumes windows will always be created successfully. I still think the random nature of the crashes point to memory exhaustion and since this full heap dump is nearly 2GB, that lends more credence to that line of thought. We'll get the latest one addressed and get a new build out to you.

Here are some suggestions for dealing with memory exhaustion in Visual Studio:
https://docs.wholetomato.com/default.asp?W730
Go to Top of Page

jeevcat

Germany
39 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2017 :  12:26:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It does make sense that it could be caused by memory exhaustion, as I only get this issue when using UE4 projects, which are always huge. Also actually launching the UE4 project and game uses crazy amounts of RAM too.

However, I have 32 GB of RAM and and Windows has allocated about 10 GB of virtual memory. I'm increasing the virtual memory to ~100 GB now to see if this has any affect.

Edited by - jeevcat on Jun 07 2017 12:31:04 AM
Go to Top of Page

sean
Whole Tomato Software

USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2017 :  01:06:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Visual Studio is a 32-bit process, so the 32GB is lost on a single instance of it. To be sure, 32GB is helpful if you are running multiple instances, but each instance only sees 4GB of the total. Even then, since there are multiple heaps in the process (managed and native at that), memory exhaustion can occur well before the process is using even 3GB.

Edited by - sean on Jun 07 2017 01:07:20 AM
Go to Top of Page

jeevcat

Germany
39 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2017 :  01:14:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow. That seems like a pretty huge oversight my Microsoft. Probably a lot of work to move to 64-bit.

I'll try some of the suggestions on the page that you linked. Thanks for the continued support!
Go to Top of Page

jeffno

USA
13 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2017 :  1:11:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
FYI, I'm seeing the same symptoms and stack trace on the latest build of VA in VS2015. I tried reducing memory consumption using the tricks posted by sean, but I'm still getting many random freezes and crashes in VS. This began happening immediately after upgrade from a roughly year-old build of VA (I don't recall which) to the most recent, and I don't think there are any other changes to my VS setup that could explain these issues. I'm going to binary search through recent builds to see if I can find one that doesn't elicit the problems...
Go to Top of Page

jeevcat

Germany
39 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2017 :  1:15:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ahh good to hear I'm not the only one. Are you also using UE4? Or a very large project/solution?

I also used to be able to use VA with no issues. I thought it might have something to do with updating to newer versions of VS or Windows. But I didn't consider rolling back to older versions of VA.

Edited by - jeevcat on Jun 08 2017 1:16:49 PM
Go to Top of Page

jeffno

USA
13 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2017 :  3:33:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jeevcat

Ahh good to hear I'm not the only one. Are you also using UE4? Or a very large project/solution?

I also used to be able to use VA with no issues. I thought it might have something to do with updating to newer versions of VS or Windows. But I didn't consider rolling back to older versions of VA.

No UE4. The solution is 113 projects containing 893 .cpp files an 1217 .cs files. Not sure if that counts as "big".

Unfortunately, same issues with VA 2118. I'll go back a bit farther...

Go to Top of Page

sean
Whole Tomato Software

USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2017 :  4:34:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The number of files in your solution is moderate but the number of projects is on the higher side of things. Pay attention to how much memory is being used by VS when things start to randomly fail. You are also welcome to submit crash dumps via https://www.wholetomato.com/support/contact.asp -- in case there is something about one of the random crashes we are able to actually address.
Go to Top of Page

jeevcat

Germany
39 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2017 :  2:02:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've just submitted another dumpfile via the contact form. I'm now using 2219. Everything seems a lot more stable on this build.

But this crash seems to happen pretty consistently on this build, after switching to another file on another tab. Unfortunately doesn't seem to have broken on a VA process. I created a dump with the heap, for this reason.
Go to Top of Page

sean
Whole Tomato Software

USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2017 :  4:54:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That was another 'BuildWindowCore failed to return the hosted child window handle' exception. If you have Code Inspection disabled, you could try deleting (or renaming) the VaCodeInspections.pkgdef to prevent VS from loading the dlls that provide Code Inspection functionality to save more memory.
Go to Top of Page

jeevcat

Germany
39 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2017 :  5:29:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the response. The error is occurring at different times for me know, so I thought it might be a different problem.

I've renamed the CodeInspection pkgdef and I'll see how things go.
Go to Top of Page

sean
Whole Tomato Software

USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2017 :  5:32:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is the error occurring for tabs that had already been opened, or for tabs that were created when the solution was opened but that hadn't been activated yet?
Go to Top of Page

jeevcat

Germany
39 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2017 :  08:54:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Since renaming CodeInspection, I'm still getting the same `BuildWindowCore failed to return the hosted child window handle` exception.

I'm not 100% sure if I had activated the tab previously. I'll try to be aware next time it happens.

The process of the exception occurring today was:

- I noticed that Alt-Shift-Q wouldn't work. My PC would make a chime sound instead. At this point I feel like VA has already internally crashed?
- I checked the 'Quick actions and refactoring' menu. It was empty except for `Edit Refactoring Snippets'.
- I went to the Visual Assist Options dialog. It opened however the UI was all mangled, with large parts of the dialog blank.
- I right-clicked and selected 'Toggle Header / Code File'. Visual Studio crash to the above exception.
Go to Top of Page

sean
Whole Tomato Software

USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2017 :  3:53:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When your solution loads, how many editor tabs are automatically loaded?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000