Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

jeevcat

Germany
39 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2017 :  7:29:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anywhere from 0 to 10 or so. I'll try to keep my number of tabs as low as possible.
Go to Top of Page

jeevcat

Germany
39 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2017 :  4:27:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Everything is working much better now. I've upgraded back to VS 2017 and I'm using build 2223 of Visual Assist.

The only time I seem to have problems is during and after debugging. If I always `Start without Debugging`, I never seem to have any issues anymore. Could be that debugging uses too much memory? Do you know of any ways which I can do a more "barebones" debug that might use less RAM?
Go to Top of Page

sean
Whole Tomato Software

USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2017 :  4:46:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Debug symbols can use a lot of memory. If you haven't checked "Debug | Options | Symbols | Only specified modules" you will get an alert from VS2017 telling you that getting symbols takes time but those symbols also use up memory.

If you do check "Only specified modules", then when you want to explicitly load symbols for a module, you can right-click in the Modules or Call Stack toolwindows and select Load Symbols (if you haven't added the module to the list in the debugger settings).
Go to Top of Page

jeevcat

Germany
39 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2017 :  04:04:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've had that setting enabled for a long time, but it still always loaded the UE4 modules, which I assume are taking up most of the memory.

For now I've added a rule to specifically exclude *UE4*. This is not ideal, as it means I can't easily debug the Engine source. However, it's not too much more effort to load the correct modules manually when needed.
When I debug now, VS loads the symbols for 2 modules, instead of the ~300 VS was loading before. It hasn't crashed for me since I've made this change.

So it seems for now that my problem is solved, although my workflow is not *ideal*. Is there any likelihood that I'd be able to utilize all my available RAM and just load all the symbols I wanted? Or would I be waiting on significant changes made by Visual Studio (years?).
Go to Top of Page

sean
Whole Tomato Software

USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2017 :  11:00:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I believe that both VA and VS are independently working on reducing memory usage.

An interim alternative to consider (it might be more or less disruptive to your workflow) is to work in two instances of Visual Studio. Use one for editing and another for debugging so that out of memory crashes caused by debugging don't bring down the editing instance.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000