I might be old but....
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

waday

USA
17 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2008 :  5:12:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Seems to me that a while ago when I typed in a for loop or an if statement, VA(?) would add a comment after the closing brace to help identify which for or if the brace belonged to. I noticed today that VA wasn't doing that anymore (v1624) and then I realized that it stopped doing it before that. I searched but couldn't find anything that said it was taken out.... Am I that senile? Or maybe it wasn't VA doing it?

rhummer
Tomato Guru

USA
527 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2008 :  7:18:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't ever recall VA X doing that, but you can easily edit the VA Snippets so they have a comment after the closing brace.

Tools Engineer - Raven Software
VS2005 SP2/VS2008 SP1 - VAX <LATEST> - Win 7 x64

Go to Top of Page

waday

USA
17 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2008 :  7:47:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Interesting.... maybe it was something else doing it and I always thought VA was doing it.

Told ya I was senile
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18755 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2008 :  08:37:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I recall an article from codeproject about doing this. From memory it was related to the king tools set of macro's. This is not something VA has ever done. One simple problem with doing this is keeping the comments up to date as you edit the code.

Instead just place the caret immediately before closing bracket and look at VA's Definition field (normally at the top of the editor) to see what is on the matching opening bracket

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

waday

USA
17 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2008 :  09:22:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Eureka! You are right, that was it. My mistake.

You are right keeping the comments up to date was a problem but I used it more to mark which end brace belonged to which opening brace. Came in real handy for nested loops. But I have kind of gotten away from that and using the collapsing regions instead. Kind of a left over from pre visual studio days I guess
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000