Resharper again, sorry
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

willdean
Tomato Guru

134 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2007 :  09:42:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

(All the below is VS2008, VA1619, R# 3.02)

I'm a 100% loyal 8-10 years VisualAssist user, but I thought I'd try out Resharper recently, knowing that it does more clever C# stuff than VA does.

My experience of having them both installed is that the C# editor becomes utterly unusably slow - even task-switching to VS has a several second delay associated with it.

Using ProcMon (which can look back up a call-stack) suggests that VA is repeatedly looking-up stuff (like VS colors) in the registry when repainting the editor window.

I suspect getting VA and RS to share an editor window nicely is probably impossible, but it would be nice if the products could rub-along a little closer, so to this end I tried the following:

1. Supressed VA for .CS files in the VA options. This didn't seem to make any difference - the VA dlls still appear in all the procmon traces.

2. Disabled VA on the VisualAssist menu - this had no effect either.

3. Disabled VA in the Tools->Add-ons dialog - this fixed the problem, but of course it's a pain if I want to do a little C++ work.

Has anyone else had any success getting these two products to behave together, at least slightly? Could WT improve the 'disable for specific languages' behaviour?

Thanks,

Will

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18751 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2007 :  09:20:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am puzzled about your IDE version. I have just downloaded the Resharper 3.02 trial and I am trying to install it on my VS2008 test machine, and I have just received the following error message:

"JetBrains ReSharper 3.0 Full Edition can only be installed on machines with Visual Studio 8.0 installed."

8.0 = VS2005

It is possible ReSharper does not fully support VS2008 yet. VS2008 RTM made some changes from the last beta and this caused VA problems.

We have other users who use both VA and ReSharper at the same time without the problems you are reporting, so it would make sense if the problem is related to VS2008.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

willdean
Tomato Guru

134 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2007 :  11:47:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

There is a different download for VS2008 -

http://www.jetbrains.com/resharper/download/#VS2008

Will

Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18751 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2007 :  08:09:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That version installs, thank you. My CPU is spending a lot of time stuck at 100% in VS2008, there is definitely something going on here.

I have installed ReSharper for VS2005 onto a separate test machine for reference, and while I am seeing CPU spikes there, they are smaller and a lot shorter, so the problems are considerably worse in VS2008, at least for me.

case=10457

Go to Top of Page

willdean
Tomato Guru

134 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2007 :  08:29:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Many thanks for investigating this - as an additional datapoint, I tried turning off all Resharper's intellisense and extra syntax colouring (I prefer VA's implementation of all that anyway), and that didn't seem to make much/any difference.

Let me know if there's any other information I can provide which would be helpful.

Will

Go to Top of Page

jeremyremington

3 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2008 :  3:11:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Howdy, I'd also like to chime in on this topic. I have seen the same performance problems.

I am using Visual Studio 2008 with Visual Assist X 10.4.1624.0 and the latest release of ReSharper 3.1.

I'd like to provide some additional information that may be helpful.

I run with a combination of VisualAssistX (10.4.1624.0) and the latest build of ReSharper 3.1. I love both tools, and rely on them both. I mainly use Visual Assist for its navigation bar feature, its type find feature, and most importantly, it's intellisense feature. I find the intellisense features of VisualAssist to be vastly superior. Because my intent is to rely on VisualAssist for all intellisense, I disable the ReSharper intellisense support.

I have run in this configuration for quite some time in VS2005 with no apparent problems.

After switching to VS2008, I noticed that editor performance is very slow, especially when switching files/windows. More important, I've noticed that my debugging single-step performance is now incredibly slow. Each step in the debugger takes well over a second, which is unacceptable to me.

If I disable both ReSharper and Visual Assist (via Tools->Add in Manager), debugging performance returns to normal (actually maybe even a little faster than in VS2005). Editor performance also returns to normal.

Interestingly, if I disable only Visual Assist (ReSharper enabled), or only disable ReSharper (Visual Assist enabled), then debugging performance is as good as when both are disabled.

This would lead me to conclude that there is some kind of interaction problem occurring in VS2008 when both Visual Assist and ReSharper are enabled.

I really depend on both tools and shudder to think of losing one or the other. Unfortunately, right now I'm forced to rely on ReSharper since I use more of its features in every day coding.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Jeremy
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18751 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2008 :  7:30:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you run a CPU meter are you seeing CPU spikes, or very heavy CPU usage?

It sounds like you are seeing the same problem, so you will probably see this.

This is down as an urgent problem, but no notes of progress on it so far. Unfortunately we are also trying to find and fix the crashing problems some users have seen with the latest version of VA, which is slowing us down a bit.

Go to Top of Page

jeremyremington

3 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2008 :  8:12:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm seeing CPU spikes, but when debugging and editing, and these spikes are very short-lived. Enough to slow things down.

I also posted on the ReSharper forums, and the original poster here replied to me their, so I'm pretty sure we're seeing similar symptoms.

I understand it may time some time to track down. I appreciate your efforts and loom forward to re-enabling Visual Assist full-time.
Go to Top of Page

willdean
Tomato Guru

134 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2008 :  06:28:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

My strong feeling is currently that this is a R# problem, and VA being in the call-stacks is just a coincidence. However, because I wasn't sure about this yet, I hadn't added anything to this thread.

I think that the latest nighly build of R# fixes the problem, but until I've run it a bit more, I'm reserving judgement...

I don't think anyone at WTS should worry too much about this one today, though.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18751 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2008 :  09:06:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It would be nice if this is fixed by the latest ReSharper version.

Go to Top of Page

jeremyremington

3 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2008 :  09:48:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'll also try updating to the latest R# nightly build and see if I can get some positive results.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000