Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Uniwares
Tomato Guru

Portugal
2320 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2008 :  11:11:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I dont agree with you on the "its part of a macro..." because then the next macro which contains namespace Data should be colored equally, but Data is blue. So VAX does "some" interpretation on the macro contents anyway. My full namespace.h is colored like the Windows color dialog, you find just about every possible color there, not that it would make much sense.

I will have a shot at the new project a bit later.

OS is still Windows XP and VS2005 Team Suite (it didnt change since at least one year).
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18755 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2008 :  3:22:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Data" on the macro line, for me this is italic, and VA thinks it is "namespace System.Data" Since it is not sure, it is just "guessing".

No, I have just tried this on my VS2005 Team Suite machine, exactly the same results. The suggestions work perfectly for me.

That machine is running winXP, so we can probably rule out IDE and OS as the triggers.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

Uniwares
Tomato Guru

Portugal
2320 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2008 :  7:24:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry, but I feel that programming is an exact science, otherwise it would be called lottery. "Guessing" is not good enough. Better dont even try then.

I have the feeling that "something" is corrupting part of the VAX database when I start editing a project.
Go to Top of Page

Uniwares
Tomato Guru

Portugal
2320 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2008 :  07:20:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Works just fine in a new project.

Anyway, I made some tests like removing namespaces from the .h/.cpp file, etc. and I am getting lots of different results, depending on what I include or not. As someone else pointed out "using namespace" makes a difference, using explicit global scope makes a difference, etc.

I had it at one time that VAX would not recognize std::string anymore although the header file was included, yet ::std::string would be fine.

I will send you (feline) my namespaces file and a typical .h/.cpp file so you can experiment with them.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18755 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2008 :  09:19:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hopefully the files will shed some light on this. It would be nice.

I suspect something is confusing our parser. We have other users also reporting "odd" problems, but so far no one has been able to pin down what is going on.

Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18755 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2008 :  7:27:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
*frustrated sigh* I hate this problem.

I have the files, many thanks for them. VS2005 professional refused to open the project, saying it could not find the properly page. So I simply created a new, default C++ console project and added all of the files to it.

There is nothing odd or strange in any of the files, I have been through all of them.

I tested every cpp file. I pasted in the test function:

static void testFelineParamSuggest(int nFelineOne, int nFelineTwo, int nChocolateOne, int nChocolateTwo)
{
	|
}

at several different points in each file, and tested the suggestions. They worked perfectly every time.

I then started working through the header files, doing the same test. Always before, and inside, and after the namespace macro's. The first few header files worked perfectly, but then I ran into the problem. Exactly the effect you described, VA simply would not suggest the parameters, even though they were shown as local parameters in bold.

Try the same test outside the namespace macro's, and the suggestions worked.

The problem was file specific, I had it in only two of the header files, but it was failing 95% of the time. I could find no good pattern or reason for why these two headers only.

At first I thought it was happening because the header file defining the macro's was not included, but alt-g worked, VA showed the correct macro definition in the definition field, and headers where suggestions worked did not seem to be including the file that defined the macro's.

I then restarted the IDE, to double check.

Now I cannot reproduce the problem, it is just gone.

Can you try restarting your IDE please, and see if that makes any difference?

Go to Top of Page

Uniwares
Tomato Guru

Portugal
2320 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2008 :  7:37:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As I already mentioned, restarting the IDE solves the problem, but this is not really a viable solution to the problem (I mean, restarting the IDE after every new function or class member). But I am very happy that you see the problem too. That should already help the developers to get to the point. You have the files. Let the WT devs dig into it...

Edited by - Uniwares on Jan 22 2008 7:37:59 PM
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18755 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2008 :  7:44:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
*um* I am loosing track of the details. Too many threads and bug reports floating around in my head.

How long does this effect take to show up on your system?

Go to Top of Page

Uniwares
Tomato Guru

Portugal
2320 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2008 :  8:14:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Usually after the first edit already. As soon as I start typing VAX seems to loose track of the details too
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18755 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2008 :  2:21:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
it takes a bit of time, a lot longer than it takes for you, but it is happening again. I have screen shots, and extensive notes. Lets see if our developers can make anything of this:

case=11759

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000