Technical Support
 1624 does not parse some headers
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ipse

4 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2008 :  08:21:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've just switched to 1624 (from 1619 or 1561 not sure, sorry). And I found that:

• It is somewhat slower then previous version I used.

• It does not want to parse a lot of my headers. Previous version worked smoothly, but this version does not parse some headers even if I choose "reparse current file" from menu. Sometimes it parsed file, but once I go edit it, it loose all highlighting and its contents disappear from "Find Symbol", etc.

All this (especially second bullet) make 1624 version of VA unusable for me. I'm working on project with pretty huge sources, and probably this is a problem for this VA version? You could try this by yourself, as project is open-sourced. Sources are in svn: https://scm.sipfoundry.org/rep/sipX/branches/sipXtapi/

I'm not sure how to report this correctly, but I'm ready to provide more information if needed.

PS I'm using it with VS2003 on WinXP.

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18755 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2008 :  08:58:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How easy is it to download the entire current project? Downloading it one file at a time from the website sounds rather slow

I do not use subversion myself, so while I am sure this is possible I don't know how.

The headers that are not being parsed, are they part of the solution? Are they listed in Solution Explorer? Or are they just placed into include directories that VA should be able to find?

Assuming "foo.h" is not being parsed, does your current file have a line:

#include "foo.h"

or

#include <foo.h>

somewhere inside of it?

If you place the caret into the file name what is shown in VA's context and definition fields? These are normally at the top of the editor. The definition field should show the full path of this file, and alt-g should take you to this file. Is this working?

If VA is unable to find the header file this would explain why it is not parsing it.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

ipse

4 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2008 :  09:22:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
To get sources:
* Download svn for windows: http://subversion.tigris.org/files/documents/15/41077/svn-win32-1.4.6.zip
* Unpack them to directory of your choice
* Go to directory where you want to download sources
* In command prompt type "<path to svn\\bin>\\svn co https://scm.sipfoundry.org/rep/sipX/branches/sipXtapi/ ." This will download all sources to current dir.
* Open sipXcallLib\\sipXtapi.sln in VS

Yes, headers are part of solution, and Open File in Solution find them with no problem.

Yes, my current file have #includes of not parsed files. E.g. MpResampler.cpp have #include "mp/MpResampler.h" on top, but MpResampler.h is not parsed.

No, they does not show full path of this file and alt-g does not work either.

Additional info on my setup. I have following addons installed:
* Compuware DevPartner for Visual C++ BoundsChecker Suite
* Intel(R) VTune(TM) Performance Analyzer 9.0
* Intel-? Thread Checker 3.1
* Intel-? Thread Profiler 3.1
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18755 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2008 :  3:08:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for the detailed instructions. I have downloaded the source code and opened the project in VS2003, using VA 1624.

Sitting in the file "MpResampler.h" I see the line:

#include "mp/MpResampler.h"

placing the caret into this file name VA shows me:

C:\\src_svn\\sipXmediaLib\\include\\mp\\MpResampler.h

in the definition field, and alt-g takes me to this file. The path shown in the definition field seems correct.

If you close all open files, and then show the Open File in Solution dialog, and filter it on "MpResampler" what does VA show you?

For me the title bar says 4 of 1355, so VA is finding 1355 files in this solution, and 4 files have this in their name.

It is almost as if VA is having problems with the project file its self on your system.

Go to Top of Page

ipse

4 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2008 :  5:42:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've started with clean sipXtapi sources (I've used my working copy before) to be on the same page with you.

quote:
Sitting in the file "MpResampler.h" I see the line:

#include "mp/MpResampler.h"

placing the caret into this file name VA shows me:

C:\\src_svn\\sipXmediaLib\\include\\mp\\MpResampler.h

in the definition field, and alt-g takes me to this file. The path shown in the definition field seems correct.

For me no Context and Definition fields are displayed at all. Only list of types and members in current file. VA outline is also empty. Alt-G does not work either.

Btw, try to start editing sources. Sometimes everyhing was fine, but one I go edit sources coloring, outline, etc disappear.

quote:
If you close all open files, and then show the Open File in Solution dialog, and filter it on "MpResampler" what does VA show you?

For me the title bar says 4 of 1355, so VA is finding 1355 files in this solution, and 4 files have this in their name.

Yes, numbers are the same for me. As I told, Open File in Solution feature is working fine along all the way.

quote:
It is almost as if VA is having problems with the project file its self on your system.

How could I test this?
Go to Top of Page

ipse

4 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2008 :  6:16:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
More interesting notes.

When I opened solution second time, Context and Definition fields are here and are working fine when setting cursor on "mp/MpResampler.h" and pressing Alt-G. But file is not parsed still - MpResamplerBase class is not highlighted. Though MpResamplerBase is shown in Find Symbol dialog, when filtering with "MpResamplerBase" (with [11 of 44410] in the window bar).
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18755 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2008 :  08:42:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can you please contact me via this form:

http://www.wholetomato.com/support/contact.asp

including this thread ID or URL in the description, so we can match it up.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000