Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Ivan A. Fotan
Ketchup Master

Ukraine
67 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2017 :  10:03:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
After installing Windows 10 Fall Creators Update, Visual Assist (10.9.2237.0) become very unstable under Visual Studio 2017.
I see the following symptoms:

1. when a new tab is opened, or switch between tabs, VA Navigator Bar is unavailable on that tab, or just empty. I need to close and reopen the tab, sometimes several times, to make it work. When it happens, auto-suggestions does not work for that file. Seems like VA lost the active document.

2. Sometimes it crashes when a new tab is opened or tabs are switched.

I saw such issues when I had installed Windows 10 Insider build and had to return back to normal version to continue to use VA. But now Fall Creator Update is here, and troubles came back.

===================================================
VA_X.dll file version 10.9.2237.0 built 2017.10.03
DevEnv.exe version 15.0.27004.2002 Enterprise
msenv.dll version 15.0.26929.2
Comctl32.dll version 6.10.16299.19
Windows 10 10.0 Build 16299
8 processors (x86-64, WOW64)
Language info: 1251, 0x422

Platform: Project defined
Stable Includes:
f:\Development\WTL\_LATEST_\Include;
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v7.1A\include;
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Enterprise\VC\Auxiliary\VS\UnitTest\include;
C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\Include\10.0.10240.0\ucrt;
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Enterprise\VC\Auxiliary\VS\include;
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Enterprise\VC\Tools\MSVC\14.11.25503\atlmfc\include;
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Enterprise\VC\Tools\MSVC\14.11.25503\include;
D:\WinDDK\_LATEST_\inc\ddk;
D:\WinDDK\_LATEST_\inc\api;
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Enterprise\Common7\IDE\x64;

Other Includes:

Stable Source Directories:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\Source\10.0.10240.0\ucrt;
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Enterprise\VC\Auxiliary\VS\src;
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Enterprise\VC\Tools\MSVC\14.11.25503\crt\src;
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Enterprise\VC\Tools\MSVC\14.11.25503\atlmfc\src\atl;
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Enterprise\VC\Tools\MSVC\14.11.25503\atlmfc\src\mfcm;
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Enterprise\VC\Tools\MSVC\14.11.25503\atlmfc\src\mfc;

IAF

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18749 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2017 :  2:26:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Currently downloading the fall update.

Which version of VS2017 are you running? This is in the IDE Help -> About dialog.

Which programming language are you working in?

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

Ivan A. Fotan
Ketchup Master

Ukraine
67 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2017 :  4:48:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
VS Enterprise 2017, Version 15.4.0

I also have installed Tabs Studio plugin from https://tabsstudio.com

IAF
Go to Top of Page

NafetsPB

Germany
22 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2017 :  02:58:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Unfortunately we are also observing a lot of different issues with Visual Assist after upgrading to the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update.

The issues are mainly related to graphical display issues (popup/drop-down windows appearing on the wrong screen in a dual-disply environment; "VA Find Reference Results" window not filling properly), suddenly missing context menu items ("Quick Actions And Refactorings (VA)", for example), strangely behaving shortcuts, etc.

All issues do not seem to be permanent as of yet; most of them luckily disappear after a restart of Visual Studio. At some point they appear again.

Here is our environment information:

DevEnv.exe version 15.0.27004.2002 Enterprise
msenv.dll version 15.0.26929.2
8 processors (x86-64, WOW64)
Language info: 1252, 0x407

Please investigate and fix these issues. Thank you!

Best Regards, Stefan.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18749 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2017 :  07:27:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How large is your solution? How many files do you have in your solution?

If you open VA's Open File in Solution dialog (Alt-Shift-O) the title bar contains two numbers. The first number is the number of files currently listed, which changes as you filter the list. The second number is the total number of files in the list, which is normally the number of files in your solution. What is this second number?

NafetsPB, do you have any other extensions installed?

Are all of the problems visual? I ask, because this sounds similar to running out of memory / resources. This should only happen for very large solutions, and even then, take time. If either of you have the time, can you please try the steps here, and see if this has any effect:

https://support.wholetomato.com/default.asp?W730

Do you have a sense of how quickly the problems show up? As soon as you load the IDE? After several minutes? Several hours? Several days?

Do either of you have any other versions of the IDE installed, VS2015 for example? I am wondering if the problem is VS2017 specific, or if it is happening in all IDE's.

Go to Top of Page

sean
Whole Tomato Software

USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2017 :  12:59:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The problems do appear to be related to Fall Creators Update and affects at least vs2015 and vs2017. We are investigating. We have a report from another user that simply closing all editor windows gets things working again -- no reload of solution or restart of vs necessary. case=111864
Go to Top of Page

sean
Whole Tomato Software

USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2017 :  3:10:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It just happened to me in my debugger while trying to repro in another instance. Closing all editors had no effect until the debug session ended, then things started working again once I closed all editors...
Go to Top of Page

martin.sliwka

Czech Republic
11 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2017 :  07:41:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm encountering same symptoms after FCU:

1) After some time (minutes or hours) [Alt-G] starts acting as [Alt-Down] or [Alt-Shift-Down]. Not 100% though - some of keystrokes works as expected. Other tabs are not affected and this "cures" itself after couple of minutes.

2) Navigation bar is missing in newly opened tab. Place is reserved but nothing si drawn. I must close that tab immediately or there is high chance to crash VS when I switch to other tab or open VA settings dialog.

3) After some time VA windows become "not drawn": suggestions popups, Find references or Replace reference. Suggestion popup is sized according to length of its content however.

We are currently using actual version of VA with VS2015 on Windows 10 FCU. Our solution has nearly 6000 files in 35 C++ only projects. Same symptoms were observed in nearly one year old version of VA (we upgraded recently). No symptoms were observed before FCU.

DevEnv.exe version 14.0.25420.1 Professional
msenv.dll version 14.0.25431.1
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18749 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2017 :  07:54:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We are currently working on this, trying to find a reliable solution. For now, can you try turning Off:

VA Options -> Display -> Display VA Navigation Bar:

to stop VA showing its navigation bar in any of the editor windows? Does this make any difference?

Go to Top of Page

martin.sliwka

Czech Republic
11 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2017 :  08:12:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I disabled Navigation bar and after restarting VS and few minutes of work I got empty Find references window.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18749 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2017 :  1:23:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry about this. For now, can you try disabling VA in the:

IDE tools menu -> Extensions and Updates...

dialog? Not the answer I want to suggest, but this will hopefully stop the crashes. Alternatively, can you try restarting the IDE at the first sign of trouble?

Go to Top of Page

NafetsPB

Germany
22 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2017 :  05:14:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by feline
How large is your solution? How many files do you have in your solution?

I believe that our solution is pretty large; although I do not have many numbers to compare it to. VA's Open File in Solution dialog reports 26448 files (both numbers in the title bar are the same).

quote:
NafetsPB, do you have any other extensions installed?

Yes, we have a number of other extensions installed. Here is a list of the most prominent ones apart from the obvious (Visual Assist):

• Productivity Power Tools 2017

• Google Test Adapter

• GitHub Extension for Visual Studio

• Customize Visual Studio Window Title

quote:
Are all of the problems visual? I ask, because this sounds similar to running out of memory / resources.

Well, most of the problems we observed are visual although we are also observing issues with the keyboard shortcuts as described in the following thread:
https://forums.wholetomato.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14022
We also observe random crashes of Visual Studio 2017 from time to time, after which VS sometimes reports Visual Assist to be the potential reason (after restart). Therefore we will also look into the memory/resouces issues and the steps you mentioned.

quote:
Do you have a sense of how quickly the problems show up? As soon as you load the IDE? After several minutes? Several hours? Several days?

Right now I do not have a specific time frame to report. I would say that "several hours" is most likely. Today it started to appear after I was checking out the propertries of an UI element in the dialog editor of Visual Studio but that might as well be a coincidence.

quote:
Do either of you have any other versions of the IDE installed, VS2015 for example? I am wondering if the problem is VS2017 specific, or if it is happening in all IDE's.

Speaking for me and my co-workers: No, we do not have VS2015 installed (anymore); we are all using VS2017 (most of us the latest version 15.4.1). And all these problems can currently only be observed on machines that already have the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update (1709) installed. The remaining machines running Windows 10 Version 1703 (Creators Update) do not show these issues - apart from some random VS crashes here and there but we "got used to them" in the meantime...
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18749 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2017 :  06:20:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This problem is also being discussed in this thread:

https://forums.wholetomato.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14034

Sean, one of our developers, has posted the following information:

quote:
Due to the nature of the problem, it'll probably take a few builds to nail down. We'll have a beta build in the next day or two with preliminary changes that help but do not completely fix it.

The root problem is that CreateWindowEx is failing intermittently. The crashes occur when Visual Studio asks us for an hwnd and the OS is unable to create one. The blank windows/space show that VA is able to cope with the failed hwnd creation (ie, not crash) but we can't prevent VS from crashing when it expects an hwnd.

Crash is less likely to occur if, when you encounter an active/focused editor that has a blank space where the VA Nav Bar is supposed to be, you close the editor.

If you do get a crash, you can identify the situation via find this managed exception:
System.InvalidOperationException: 'BuildWindowCore failed to return the hosted child window handle.'

Go to Top of Page

sean
Whole Tomato Software

USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2017 :  4:10:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's a preliminary build that is undergoing testing:
https://www.wholetomato.com/binaries/VA_X_Setup2238_0.exe

Consider this a beta build that does appear to improve the situation for some users.
Go to Top of Page

Ivan A. Fotan
Ketchup Master

Ukraine
67 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2017 :  6:16:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It doesn't help

IAF
Go to Top of Page

sean
Whole Tomato Software

USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2017 :  7:02:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can you please repro while logging is enabled and send va.log via https://www.wholetomato.com/support/contact.asp ?
Go to Top of Page

sean
Whole Tomato Software

USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2017 :  11:59:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can you please temporarily disable Tabs Studio to see if that has any reduction of issues with 2238?
Go to Top of Page

sean
Whole Tomato Software

USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2017 :  6:20:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Individuals at Microsoft are 95% certain that the crashes and broken/missing windows currently afflicting Visual Assist will be fixed in the November Patch Tuesday fixes for Windows 10. We so far have not been able to get steps to repro the problems to them. If we can get steps to repro, or a vm image where it is occurring, they will be able to definitively determine whether the problem is already addressed in their Windows 10 daily builds. My understanding is that Patch Tuesday is the second Tuesday of the month, so we are looking at Nov 14 for a potential fix.
Go to Top of Page

sean
Whole Tomato Software

USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2017 :  11:58:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This update to build 2238 addresses one particular crash in the VA Options dialog that occurs when CreateWindow fails:
https://www.wholetomato.com/binaries/VA_X_Setup2238_1.exe
Go to Top of Page

sean
Whole Tomato Software

USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2017 :  6:01:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We received an update today and unfortunately, the news is discouraging. The CreateWindow* bug is not going to be fixed in the November Patch Tuesday. The current thinking is that the best case scenario is a fix for patch Tuesday in December. There is a bug fix coming in the November Patch Tuesday for a bug that causes crashes, but those crashes (introduced in a September Win 10 update) do not appear to be nearly as frequent as the CreateWindow* failures that started with Fall Creators Update.
Go to Top of Page

Woody

Czech Republic
30 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2017 :  01:32:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm wondering why just VA is affected. Is that because VA creates a lot of new windows? Could it be modified so it reuses the same window for the same purpose? For example if "Open File in Solution" dialog is fully recreated every time I use it, could it be just hidden and shown later?
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18749 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2017 :  06:51:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We are doing what we can, but so far we have not been able to find a completely reliable work around for this.

The fact that we are tightly integrated into the IDE, and are working behind its back complicates matters, since we don't have full control over what is happening.

Go to Top of Page

martin.sliwka

Czech Republic
11 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2017 :  06:58:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had to temporarily move into virtual machine because sometimes VS works reliably for hours and sometimes I'm not able to write single line. Fortunately you can download preconfigured virtual images directly from Microsoft (https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/downloads/virtual-machines) so moving into virtual machine was a matter of minutes.
Go to Top of Page

sean
Whole Tomato Software

USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2017 :  12:19:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Another customer of Microsoft's has reported a problem that MS has been able to reproduce in house. The symptoms appear to be the same: CreateWindow and CreateWindowEx intermittently fail with error code 998, 32-bit process running on 64-bit Windows 10 Fall Creators Update (possibly uses LARGEADDRESSAWARE linker flag). The best case scenario of a fix for that problem is December Patch Tuesday.
Go to Top of Page

sean
Whole Tomato Software

USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2017 :  7:55:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
New Windows Defender features in Fall Creators Update cause a slowdown of VA when an editor is first opened. Pre-FCU performance can be restored by disabling Control Flow Guard for VS:

Windows Defender Security Center | App & browser control | Exploit protection settings | Program settings | Add program to customize

Add by program name
enter: devenv.exe
I selected override system settings for all 21 settings and set all to off
restart system

Hat tip to https://www.tenforums.com/performance-maintenance/96792-fall-creators-update-poor-performance-lagginess-fix.html

See also https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/problem/136952/mfc-ribbon-slow-on-first-loadshow.html and https://stackoverflow.com/questions/46860377/very-slow-tortoisesvn-compare-to-base-since-win-10-fall-creators-update-local

Edited by - sean on Nov 06 2017 10:48:57 AM
Go to Top of Page

Woody

Czech Republic
30 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2017 :  3:28:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I already had to improve compilation times by excluding many folders from Windows Defender runtime scanning, including Visual Studio (msbuild.exe, cl.exe etc.) so I didn't realized any slowdown.
Go to Top of Page

pbrown

USA
44 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2017 :  6:02:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sean

New Windows Defender features in Fall Creators Update cause a slowdown of VA when an editor is first opened. Pre-FCU performance can be restored by disabling Control Flow Guard for VS:

For what it's worth, I have been recently having startup performance issues with VAX on Windows 10 (with the Fall update) and the latest Visual Studio (15.4.3) that doesn't seem to have been discussed on this thread.

I don't have precise data on when this started, but in the recent past, I've had the Visual Studio GUI effectively freeze for ~30-60 seconds after starting a new instance that opens one of the solutions I usually use. I see "(Not Responding)" in the title bar if I click anywhere. After some debug, I found that the failure did not occur if I disabled VAX but left all my other extensions enabled. It does occur if I enable VAX and disable all my other extensions. Additionally, if I closed all documents in the solution before I opened the project, it doesn't freeze immediately. Instead, I see the same freeze the first time I open a source file. Disabling the Navigation Bar doesn't help. I haven't noticed the crashing issue others have described -- just long freezes.

So far, sean's suggested Windows Defender workaround seems to be effective. It also seems to work if I only override the settings for "Control Flow Guard" (CFG) instead of all 21 settings. Thanks for the tip!
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18749 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2017 :  09:19:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry about the performance problems you have been seeing. Now you have changed the Windows Defender settings, has this fixed all of your speed issues with VA and the IDE, or are you still seeing some unexpected slow downs?

Note that if your solution is very large, then VA can slow down your machine while parsing everything on solution load, but we still try to do this as quickly as possible.

Go to Top of Page

pbrown

USA
44 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2017 :  1:13:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Sorry about the performance problems you have been seeing. Now you have changed the Windows Defender settings, has this fixed all of your speed issues with VA and the IDE, or are you still seeing some unexpected slow downs?

Note that if your solution is very large, then VA can slow down your machine while parsing everything on solution load, but we still try to do this as quickly as possible.

I thought the Windows Defender setting solved the problems on initial load (seems to).
But I've found while browsing some code today that I am still getting some freezes every now and then when opening new source files. I am currently running with only the one setting (out of 21) overridden. It's possible that there are multiple issues involved, so I'll probably try if it's better with all 21 set.

Some of my solutions are very large (>5K source files), and the initial parse can be a little bit slow. But I haven't noticed any particular problems with the huge project after the files are parsed, either before or after the Win10 update. The only performance issue I'm seeing is just the freeze when opening files.

I also got one crash last night where VS 2017 crashed when I opened the VAX options window. I'm assuming that's the same thing as the crashes discussed here.
Go to Top of Page

sean
Whole Tomato Software

USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2017 :  1:14:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What version of VA do you have installed?
Go to Top of Page

pbrown

USA
44 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2017 :  2:56:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sean

What version of VA do you have installed?

I've got the latest public everything (all current Win10 patches, VS 2017 15.4.3, VAX build 2237). I haven't tried the experimental "2238" builds linked on the forums.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000