ALT+SHIFT+R rebuilds project sometimes
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

MrDoomMaster
Tomato Guru

251 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2018 :  4:54:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There's some situations where I put my caret on a variable and press ALT+SHIFT+R to rename it, but instead Visual Studio starts rebuilding my project.

I checked my key mapping in Options, and I don't see any shortcuts assigned to this key combination other than Visual Assist rename. This has been a problem I've silently dealt with for a long time, and exists in both VS2015 and VS2017.

Has anyone experienced this? Any idea what it could be?

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18750 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2018 :  5:30:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just to double check, how are you checking the keyboard shortcuts in the IDE options dialog?

I pick a command at random, normally the first in the list, and then enter the key combo I want to check into the shortcut keys field, and then check the "shortcut currently used by" pull down list, which I always open, since if there is more than one match, which can happen if they have different scopes, you only tell this by opening the pull down.

In VS2015 when I filter the keyboard command list in the IDE options, I have 5 commands with the word "rebuild" in them. None of these are listing mapped keyboard shortcuts for me. Are any of them listing mapped keyboard shortcuts for you?

It's a long shot, but if you have rebuild mapped to a similar keyboard shortcut, perhaps with a different scope, this might explain why this happens.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

MrDoomMaster
Tomato Guru

251 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2018 :  10:04:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, I actually did the same check you did. Just to give you some confidence, here is a screenshot:

Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18750 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2018 :  1:07:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A good answer, it was a somewhat silly question, but sometimes it is something this simple.

Have you ever noticed any pattern to when this happens?

If you cancel the build, so the IDE is ready to start another build if this happens again, what happens when you press Alt-Shift-R a second time? I am wondering if this can be reproduced on demand, or if it is random in nature.

The only other obvious thought that comes to mind is an interaction with another extension installed on your system. But this would require something that both IDE's have in common.

Go to Top of Page

MrDoomMaster
Tomato Guru

251 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2018 :  1:41:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Each time this happens, it's only because for whatever reason VAX doesn't recognize the symbol positioned under the caret. This might be due to the fact that I just refactored some code, and VAX hasn't "reparsed" things to update what the variable means. Also, right-clicking the same variable shows that "Rename" in the VAX refactor menu is disabled. So VAX doesn't recognize what the variable is for whatever reason.

In *this* case, SHIFT+ALT+R causes a rebuild. Until the symbol gets recognized, it doesn't seem to change the behavior. So to your question: Canceling the build and doing the key combination again results in another rebuild.

I've seen in some cases that if I click "Reparse Current File", it fixes the symbol unrecognized issue, then rename will work properly. But sometimes when doing crazy macro logic and whatnot, VAX sometimes won't understand what a variable is and that will cause this behavior.

Ideally I'd be able to provide you a sample where this happens, but it's not reproducible when you open a project fresh. You have to be working in the code for quite some time, and eventually a situation crops up where VAX gets confused like this. Again, this is something I've observed for at least 2 years across different versions of VAX. It happens rare enough that I never found the motivation to report it on the forums until now.

Hopefully this helps a little more.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18750 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2018 :  09:40:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This helps a bit, it certainly makes some sense. If VA does not know what to do with Shift-Alt-R, due to the symbol not yet being recognised, then the keyboard shortcut falling through to the IDE, or someone else, is a mechanism for a rebuild to be triggered.

Can you try entering a new, unknown symbol, and then try triggering Shift-Alt-R on it? What, if anything, happens? This does not cause anything to happen for me, but in theory VA should treat this the same as a valid symbol it has not yet caught up with. It will certainly be an easier test case, if this does reproduce the problem.

Go to Top of Page

MrDoomMaster
Tomato Guru

251 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2018 :  10:06:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Would it help you if I attached my exported VA settings from registry as well as my exported settings from VS?
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18750 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2018 :  06:13:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Certainly worth a try. So far I cannot reproduce this here, but something is triggering this for you. Please submit the files via the form:

http://www.wholetomato.com/support/contact.asp

including this thread ID or URL in the description, so we can match it up.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000