Main Site | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
User name:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your password?

All Forums
 Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 Over-zealous suggestion listbox (VC++11 and 1918)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

lolwhat

2 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2012 :  12:34:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The suggestion listbox is "completing" my statements in situations where it should be disabled. Here's an example:

I want to make a new variable called "start". I've typed it out and am about to hit the ; key.

It gets turned into the top entry on the suggestion list.

I have all keys for committing from the suggestion listbox turned off. I couldn't find any other options dealing with this... Am I missing any?

As a sanity check, I disable VAX. VS 2012 still has a suggestion listbox loaded with the same info (STARTDOC on top), but when I hit the ; key, it doesn't replace start with STARTDOC. So VAX is the culprit.

Am I being foolish or is this a bug? It occurs in all sorts of circumstances for me with pretty much any key hit afterward, like a closing brace or enter. It's driving me crazy!

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18751 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2012 :  4:27:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The listbox has focus, which I would not normally expect from a suggestion listbox when you are creating a new variable. Can you please try turning Off:

VA Options -> Advanced -> Suggestions -> Include suggestions in listboxes

does this make any difference? I am wondering if you are seeing a suggestion listbox or a full completion listbox.

If you edit the IDE setting:

IDE tools menu -> Options -> Text Editor -> C/C++ -> Advanced -> Member List Commit Characters = {}[]().,:;+-*/%&|^!=<>?@#\
to remove the semi-colon from this list of characters, does this have any effect here?

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

lolwhat

2 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2012 :  5:18:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Include suggestions in listboxes was already unchecked.

Removing the semicolon from that list did fix the problem. It's odd that it doesn't occur when VAX is disabled, though! Clearing out that list should fix the problem, hopefully without any weird side effects...

Thanks!

Edited by - lolwhat on Nov 01 2012 5:20:55 PM
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18751 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2012 :  12:57:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Out of interest, can you please check your registry and see if you have the following setting turned On:

http://docs.wholetomato.com?W350

this is a registry key setting to make sure suggestion lists always have focus. If you had suggestions turned on this would explain why they had focus in this particular situation.

I am glad changing this setting helped, but you should not have had this problem to begin with.

Can you please export your VA and IDE settings and send them to me:

VA Options -> Performance -> Export Settings
IDE tools menu -> Import and Export Settings -> Export selected environment settings

I can then import them here and see if I can reproduce the problem.

Please submit the files via the form:

http://www.wholetomato.com/support/contact.asp

including this thread ID or URL in the description, so we can match it up.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000