Cannot Install on Windows 8 Enterprise.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

smartshallot

China
8 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2012 :  09:35:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have downloaded "VA_X_Setup1918.exe" which is the latest one. And when I install it on my laptop, it cannot finish installation. At last, the disk usage shown in Task Manager will be up to 100%. But VA installation program is only 0%. And it is not responding. I must shut it down manually. My laptop's system is Windows 8 enterprise edition. It's not in the VA's list of supported systems.

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18755 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2012 :  10:47:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Which IDE's do you have installed? Are you using the Express versions of any of the IDE's?

When the installer loads, the first screen shows the license agreement and three check boxes, to specify which IDE's you want to install to. Which check boxes are enabled? This will tell us which IDE's our installer thinks are installed on your system.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

smartshallot

China
8 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2012 :  11:32:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I use visual studio 2008 professional. When I start to install, I can only check "pre-2010 version" one. And then agree it and copy files and stop when registering.
Go to Top of Page

smartshallot

China
8 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2012 :  11:33:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And my vs2008 professional is x86 version with sp1 installed.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18755 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2012 :  2:54:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Are you running the installer as an Admin? To install into VS2008 the installer needs admin rights.

If you are, can you please go to the %TEMP% system directory and delete all files and folders, and then run the installer again? Does this make any difference? I have seen left over files and directories in the %TEMP% directory cause problems like this occasionally.

Go to Top of Page

smartshallot

China
8 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2012 :  6:55:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I always run it as an Administrator. And %TEMP%=%USERPROFILE%\\AppData\\Local\\Temp contains only one folder which contains my anti-virus temporary files. And I tried to install it in compatibility for "Windows XP (SP3)" or "Windows 7", but never succeed.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18755 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2012 :  10:44:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What is the file size of your installer? My VA 1918 has a file size of 13,064,408 bytes. I am wondering if you might have a corrupt download.

How far does the installer get? When it stops responding does it give you any clue as to what it is doing?

If you look in the directory:

C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Visual Assist X\
how many files and directories have been created? You should have 10 files and 5 directories. Did the installer manage to install of these files and directories?

Go to Top of Page

smartshallot

China
8 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2012 :  02:03:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My VA is also 13,064,408 bytes. It's not responding when the progress bar of installation comes to the end. And it never hints any info to me. In C:\\Program Files\\Visual Assist X\\ directory, I can see 5 dirs and 10 files:
1033(dir)
AutoText(dir)
Dict(dir)
Misc(dir)
TipOfTheDay(dir)
SciLexer.dll
uninstall.exe
uninstall.ini
VA_X.dll
VANetObjMD.dll
VAOpsWin.dll
VaPkg.dll
VAssist.dll
VAssistNET.dll
VATE.dll
The folder total size is 14,581,949 bytes. I think its files has installed successfully but has not been set in VS2008 professional correctly. I don't know how to include it using VA_X.dll in vs2008.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18755 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2012 :  11:38:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The directory size and content looks correct.

Can you please try the following. First make sure all instances of the IDE have been closed, and you do not have any "devenv.exe" processes running in the background.

Now go to the start screen and type "command", when "Command Prompt" is offered right click on this, and select "Run as administrator".

In this administrator command prompt cd to the VA install directory, probably:

cd C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Visual Assist X\\

now type and run each of these commands, one at a time. Wait for a message box or error message before running the next command:

regsvr32 VAssistNET.dll
regsvr32 VApkg.dll
regsvr32 VA_X.dll

If all three commands work, i.e. if you get a message box saying "DllRegisterSevice in DLL_NAME succeeded." then please cd to the VS2008 install directory, probably:

cd "C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\\Common7\\IDE\\"

and issue the command:

devenv.exe /setup

wait until the "devenv.exe" process has disappeared from task manager before loading the IDE. If all of this has worked correctly VA should now be installed in VS2008 and working correctly. If this failed, which step failed, and how?

Go to Top of Page

smartshallot

China
8 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2012 :  01:19:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have tried the three "regsvr32" commands in Command Prompt(Admin). The first two commands can execute successfully and pop the window to hint me register successfully. The last one "regsvr32 VA_X.dll" always failed. When I execute that command, the computer will be more slowly and no response at last. I must restart the computer every time after it. Maybe it does not support "Windows 8 enterprise" platform...
Go to Top of Page

smartshallot

China
8 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2012 :  02:24:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
After I restart computer twice, I run "devenv.exe /setup" and wait until it disappeared from Task Manager. When I open VS2008, I can see "VAssistX" menu item, but only "Tools->VA View" and "Tools->Find References Results" can be clicked, others are in gray. And at the left of the window, I can see "VA View" explorer next to "Solution Explorer". Under the menu bar, I can see the Visual Assist X toolbar items but can not clicked. I think it's the result of running "regsvr32 VA_X.dll" incompletely.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18755 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2012 :  1:39:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am not surprised this is not working well, given that registering VA_X.dll fails. I have emailed you about this.

Go to Top of Page

smartshallot

China
8 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2012 :  8:35:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I cannot find "u3dapi10.dll" in my hard disk.
When I use Dependancy Walker to open VA_X.dll, it hints me error. And in
log window, it shows "Error: At least one module has an unresolved import due to a missing export function in an implicitly dependent module. Warning: At least one delay-load dependency module was not found. Warning: At least one module has an unresolved import due to a missing export function in a delay-load dependent module.".
In the upper window, it shows "IESHIMS.DLL Error opening file. The system cannot find the file specified(2)."
There is only one error...
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18755 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2012 :  5:10:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Basically the same results that I got, so no clues there unfortunately.

Can you please download and run Process Monitor:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896645.aspx

when this loads, you will want to turn off capture, CTRL-E, since it logs a lot of activity. Now please go into the Filter settings, CTRL-L, and add the following filter rule:

Process Name begins with regsvr32 then Include

Make sure this rule is in the list of rules, OK the dialog, and press CTRL-E to turn capture back on again.

Now please open a command prompt as administrator, cd to the Visual Assist X install directory and run the regsvr32 VA_X.dll command again.

Hopefully the log of activity will give us some clues. I am especially interested in any errors, and what happens when the regsvr32 command stops working. Is it stuck in a loop? Just waiting for something? Having problems finding something?

I have done the same thing here, so I can compare my results log with yours if that helps.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000