Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
16732 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2020 :  12:31:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have found a situation where VA re-parses the entire Unreal Engine directory tree for the github version of Unreal Engine, but for me this is only happening after using the github source code compiled version of the Unreal Editor to create a new game.

When I do this, instead of loading the Unreal Editor with the game project, as expected, instead I am launched directly into VS2019 with the C++ solution source code loaded. At this point VA does a full parse of the Unreal Engine tree.

However if I then close the IDE, and Unreal Editor, and either load a new instance of Visual Studio, or of Unreal Editor, and then load one of these github source editor produced game solutions, there is no extra parsing at all.

I am only working with one instance of the IDE open at a time, since VA is designed to maintain a separate symbol database for each separate instance of Visual Studio that is used, so this would require a full reparsing of Unreal Engine for each new instance and symbol database that has never before parsed Unreal Engine.

How does this compare with your experience? Obviously you are seeing something different, so how should I change my tests to try and reproduce what you are doing and seeing?

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

Jorge24

USA
23 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2020 :  6:38:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for continuing to test this. I'm having a hard time understanding the process you followed on your end. Did you say that the entire source-compiled UE must be parsed at least once for each project that references it? or that dosnt happen to you?

So, if you create 10 new UE blank project from the source compiled UE editor, will it parse the entire engine again for each project? and if so, does that only happen with the source compiled one for you or also with the Epic Launcher version?
Go to Top of Page

Jorge24

USA
23 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2020 :  6:42:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by feline

When you load your solution in Visual Studio, how are you doing so?

Do you first load Visual Studio, then open the Unreal solution you are working on?
Do you launch the Unreal Editor first and open the solution from here?

I launch Visual Studio and then I click on one of my pinned solutions. Then I click the green arrow to run the UE editor.

Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
16732 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2020 :  05:19:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am basically doing the same thing here... so why the difference?

If you just load your solution, as shown in the screen shot above, and then wait a few moments before running the UE editor, does VA start doing a full parse of Unreal Engine? Or does VA notice that nothing has changed, so there is no need to do a reparse?

I am trying to work out if something seems to be triggering the extra parsing.

Do you work with more than one instance of Visual Studio open at once, or just the one instance?

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2019 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000