New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

foxmuldr
Tomato Guru

USA
393 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2024 :  11:18:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Today something weird happened, I did an Alt+Shift+F and the cyan prompt below came up. I've never seen it before, so I started looking through the settings on where that was set so I could have it always default to searching the solution, where I found the other issue with the checkbox overlay (https://forums.wholetomato.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=20661).

I'm writing today because the yellow part shows up there partially obscured when the window is narrow. It doesn't have a tooltip to show the content when you hover over it. My general Visual Studio window looks like this:

Minor to be sure. But, there it is. :-)

I'm also having a crash today in Visual Studio 2022 when I do anything involving VAX, such as Alt+Shift+F on some symbol, or attempting to bring up the VAX Options window. Not sure the cause there.

--
Rick C. Hodgin

Edited by - foxmuldr on Jun 09 2024 11:20:07 AM

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18843 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2024 :  10:13:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Find References Results trying to word wrap when the window is very small is a known problem that is on our list:

case=146058

A crash though, that is a different matter. An obvious first test, try disabling VA and see if this makes any difference. The fact that it happens on bringing up the VA options dialog is a concern though.

Have you tried rebooting? I am wondering if you could be running short on some form of resources. It seems really unlikely, but should be a quick and simple test to start with, depending on how many programs you have open and running.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

foxmuldr
Tomato Guru

USA
393 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2024 :  08:24:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Next day, I went in to a solution in Visual Studio 2022, and VA reparsed everything at startup without me telling it to do so.

Everything VA-related seems to work. Menu, Alt+Shift+F, etc.

Seems to have been a fluke. Modern Visual Studio is weird. It's not the rock solid, stable tool we had back in the 2000s. Day to day things break or work differently. Reboot, wait a few days, and it corrects itself. I don't like that.

--
Rick C. Hodgin
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18843 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2024 :  12:14:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
VA reparsing everything is the expected behaviour after a crash. A crash can leave things in a bad state, and it is possible for a corrupt symbol database to cause problems, so it makes sense from this point of view to also reparse after a crash.

With the regular updates, modern Visual Studio is a moving target. A good thing when they are adding features you need, but it makes it harder to pin some things down.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000