Always asking for license...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

thchang

2 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2007 :  11:42:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dear Madam/Sir:

We installed Visual Assist X on Citrix environment in our company. And most time when our users open VC++ to use, VA_X always ask us to enter the license again. Could you explain why this would happen?

Thank you very much!

Sincerely,
Tsaihua Chang

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18755 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2007 :  09:05:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do you get any errors when entering the licence?

Assuming there are no errors, my first thought is that the registry keys where the licence is stored are not being "saved", or if they are saved they are not being "seen".

Is userA entering the licence key, but then getting a session / machine from userB?

I don't know much about Citrix, but I believe it offers some form of remote connection to a central machine, so I am wondering if the central machine is being rolled back to some form of base state, before the licence key was entered.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

kevinsikes
Tomato Guru

USA
271 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2007 :  1:17:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tsaihua,

Citrix ICA and Windows Terminal Services present unique challenges to our licensing protection mechanism because of the potential for abuse each of these technologies presents. Let's start with the obvious - are you certain there are not more developers trying to access the software than your license allows?

Kevin Sikes
Infotainment Platform Design Engineer
Ford Motor Company
Go to Top of Page

thchang

2 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2007 :  9:50:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
To kevinsikes:

Sorry for my late response!

Because we are using Citrix, there would be more than one user using VA_X in one Citrix Server. And our license is 5-user license, should this mean that we could use VA_X on more than 5 Citrix Servers? Or we could only allow 5 users using VA_X in our Citrix environment?

Thank you very much!

Sincerely,
Tsaihua Chang
Go to Top of Page

kevinsikes
Tomato Guru

USA
271 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2007 :  3:26:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tsaihua,

Your 5-user license allows at most 5 persons to use the software. We don't have any particular restrictions on the topology by which those 5 persons access the software, as long as they are the only users.

While I'm no Citrix expert, my guess is the application state snapshot presented to users when they log in was generated before the VA X license key was entered. I would think you'd be able to take another snapshot after entering the key.

Kevin Sikes
Infotainment Platform Design Engineer
Ford Motor Company
Go to Top of Page

manojpadmika

Sri Lanka
2 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2014 :  12:03:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I also had a requirement to install Visual assist on Visual Studio 2010 and VS 2008 on citrix, I had both versions on the same windows 2008 server, and when I open the published visual studio, every time it prompts for the license key, and I�ve managed to resolve that issue by doing the following. Now on both visual studio 2008 and 2010 published applications are working fine with Visual assist as expected.

The steps that I did to make it successful.
1: installed Visual assist by silent installation, for the visual studio 2008 environment with the license using the following through command prompt,

VA_X_Setup2007.exe /S /LU "[email protected] (25-user license) Support ends 2014.08.31" /LK "xxx-xxx-xxx"

2: After that I installed for the 2010 using the installer exe file. Because I had an older version of visual assist and its a .exe one, and also with silent installation doesn't work with 2010.

3: After that I copied the VA installed folder" Whole Tomato Software� which is in (C:\\Users\\username\\AppData\\Local\\Microsoft\\VisualStudio\\10.0\\Extensions) to the " C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\\Common7\\IDE\\Extensions " folder, because through exe installation it installs only for a specific user and doesn't apply for all users.

edited by feline to remove more of your license key

ManojK

Edited by - feline on Sep 11 2014 1:30:13 PM
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18755 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2014 :  1:34:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Are you being prompted for your license in VS2008 or only in VS2010?

I really would not expect simply copying the VA install directory across to work, not like that, not unless VA had already been installed for VS2010 and the IDE knew about it.

This FAQ entry explains how to install VA, and to set the license key automatically, for both VS2008 and VS2010 and above. VS2010 and above requires a separate method, since it works differently. Have you tried setting the license key for the user who is being prompted?

Go to Top of Page

manojpadmika

Sri Lanka
2 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2014 :  2:22:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Feline,

First time, I did the Visual assist installation from the exe file, and I published Visual studio on citrix and the Visual assist plugin only appeared on visual studio 2008 and not in 2010. even I installed for all Visual Studio versions. My build is: 1856, and prompted for the license key every time for VS 2008.
In that case I un-installed the software and re-installed using the silent method with the license, and it worked with VS 2008, still doesn�t show in 2010, so I installed using the exe file and selected the 2010 and above versions option, and it worked only for the installed user, so I copied the installation files from �C:\\Users\\username\\AppData\\Local\\Microsoft\\VisualStudio\\10.0\\Extensions�to the common EXT location� C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\\Common7\\IDE\\Extension� and it appeared for all Visual Studio 2010 users, and then I published both VisualStudio versions in citrix and it worked for me.

ManojK
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18755 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2014 :  1:49:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For VS2010 and above, VA is only installed for the current user, which is a design decision made by Microsoft, this is how all extensions work in VS2010 and newer IDE's. I was not aware it was possible to install an extension for all users like that.

Do you know if citrix is doing anything "clever" with the registry keys that each user can see?

Can you log in as a single user, load VS2008, and then enter the VA license key when prompted. After this works, close the IDE, wait a few seconds to make sure that the "devenv.exe" process has closed, and then reload the IDE. Are you prompted for the license key now?

If so, then this suggests the key is not being saved successfully to the registry. If this works, but you are prompted for the key after you log off and log in again then this would suggest some required state is not being saved.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000