New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

dcastonguay

Canada
29 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2024 :  12:41:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello,

I just update to version 2024.1 (from 2023.5), and now, the Open File in Solution dialog is behaving pretty weirdly. I noticed the new "Use Fuzzy Search" option in the dialog (introduced in 2023.6?), but there are weird behaviors both with and without that option.

With fuzzy search:
* Search for an _exact_ filename match will sometimes highlight another file (e.g. while looking for a file name "entitymanager.cpp", the dialog instead highlighted a file named "entity.cpp"). I tried the same with "object.cpp" and "objectmanager.cpp", but this one worked properly.

Without fuzzy search:
* It looks like adding an extension to a filename breaks the search. While trying to search for "entity.cpp", no results were returned (but there should be 3 exact matches, and possibly a couple more partial matches).

Even in previous versions of Visual Assist, I was never sure _how_ the period (.) was interpreted, because it states that it can also be used to ".beginWith" and "endWith." (which made it very hard to narrow searches based on where we expect the extension to begin, e.g. "entity." to try to match "entity.cpp" and "entity.h", but not "entitymanager.cpp", but anyway).

Is this a regression? Can you look into this?

Thanks!

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18751 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2024 :  12:59:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Apologies for this, unfortunately while fixing something else in the Open File in Solution dialog we broke using the dot as part of the filename:

case=164122

so if you turn off fuzzy search, and type in the full file name, you won't get any results. For now, if you try placing a space before the dot, so search for:

entity .cpp

instead of

entity.cpp

this will help. Alternatively using fuzzy search will show some results, but sometimes more results than you are looking for.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

dcastonguay

Canada
29 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2024 :  1:32:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for the quick reply!

Using your workaround without fuzzy search seems to work fine.

However, in the case of fuzzy search, as I mentioned, there is an issue (at least in my opinion) when the filename is an exact match: sometimes, the wrong file is highlighted.

Thanks again!
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18751 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2024 :  05:47:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is also due to the bug with the dot as part of the full file name.

Testing the previous version, VA 2508, if I type the full file name, with fuzzy search enabled, the correct file is selected by default. I have tried a few different tests to be sure, since the fuzzy search does complicate this slightly.

So this should be working correctly again as soon as we get the fix released.

Go to Top of Page

dcastonguay

Canada
29 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2024 :  1:59:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do I have a way to know when the next version will be released? I'm trying to figure out if I should install an older version, or if I want to benefit from other fixes in the latest (the "Greatly improved parser performance and reduced initial parse time" one seems interesting to keep...).

Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18751 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2024 :  06:19:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't currently have an estimate, no, but there are a couple of other bugs that have just come to light that really should be addressed in the next release, so it will probably wait for those fixes as well.

For the improved parsing speed, it partly depends on how big your solution is. In an Unreal Engine 5 solution, with 56,000 files listed in VA's Open File in Solution dialog the improved parsing speed makes a massive difference! If instead you are working in a 30 file solution it really isn't going to help, unless you have a vast pile of libraries.

You can always try installing the new build, and then uninstall it and go back to the previous build if the problems out weigh the benefits.

Go to Top of Page

dcastonguay

Canada
29 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2024 :  4:44:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

For now, if you try placing a space before the dot, so search for:

entity .cpp

instead of

entity.cpp

this will help.

If anyone else is reading this thread, I'll mention a workaround that works a little better for me:

Put the dot, a space, then another dot. For example: searching using "entity. .cpp" seems to return the right result for me.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18751 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2024 :  07:43:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Now that is helpful, many thanks! I will make a note of this and pass it on when other people run into this problem.

Go to Top of Page

jschroedl
Tomato Guru

USA
103 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2024 :  3:16:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We need a fix for this ASAP. This is incredibly frustrating.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18751 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2024 :  06:19:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I completely agree, having to keep on apologising and offering what work arounds I can really isn't good either. This is down as very urgent, but we also want a proper fix, not a partial fix that breaks some other aspect of the OFIS filtering.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000