Technical Support
 VA Not suggesting enum values anymore
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sitnduck

45 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2023 :  09:00:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello! In my brand-new install of Visual Studio 2022 for C++, I can't seem to get enumeration values to work correctly. For example, in the past if I would write this:

eMyEnum myVal = ...

Triggering auto completion would give me a list of eMyEnum values ONLY, which makes sense.

However, with this new install, I get EVERYTHING as a suggestion, starting with #, #define, #if, #else... (and thousands of others).

I looked at my settings and they seem to be similar to my old install. I tried switching between IntelliSense and Visual Assist as the source of suggestions, but it seems to switch between 2 bad options.

There are a couple other places where this kind of lesser behavior is showing up.

I know VA is understanding SOMETHING, because "add missing cases" in a switch statement is working properly.

Thank you for any assistance!

sitnduck

45 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2023 :  09:02:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok just as I wrote this and came back to my code, it started working! :O All in all, it would be great to know if this was caused by something in particular (which I possibly fixed in the settings but took some time to adjust?)
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18755 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2023 :  09:12:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do you have:

VA Options -> Suggestions -> Include Smart Suggestions

On or Off? If this is Off I would try turning it On, since this is designed to help in cases like this:

https://support.wholetomato.com/default.asp?W172

It is also possible VA hadn't yet finished parsing everything, but if you had the IDE open long enough to see the problem, I would have expected parsing to have finished, unless you have a REALLY large solution, for example you are working with Unreal Engine.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000