Visual Studio 2015 Not Responding
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

liorwunsch

5 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2023 :  10:33:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello Whole Tomato developers.
For some time now I had the problem of occasional "Not Responding" on Visual Studio 2015 with default extensions and the before-last Visual Assist extension version.
Disabling all extensions that I can except Visual Assist did not resolve my problem and, recently I had found a solution to this problem by disabling intellisense in VS and Visual Assist as well.
But, a week or two ago, you published a new version, and now the problems are back.
My IDE is Not Responding again on occasion and without any apparent reason - for example, I've been coding with the same window open for two hours and didn't use any feature of Visual Assist except Find References Results which doesn't seem to cause the problem, and suddenly get not responding and having to wait a minute for the program to respond.
I hope you can find what causes the problem.
If you need further explanation please do not hesitate to contact me here or at [email protected].
Thanks, Lior.

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18754 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2023 :  12:46:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When this happens, can you please try running Windows Task Manager and see if there is a CPU usage spike. VA's parser will be active in the background, parsing any changes you have made to your code, even if you are not actively using VA features, so it is possible this is a factor.

Does the IDE always start responding again if you wait a few minutes, or does it have to be killed when this happens?

Which programming language or languages are you working in?

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

liorwunsch

5 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2023 :  04:52:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello feline.
The same problem repeated itself just now after 30 minutes of writing code.
In Task Manager I saw a 100% CPU usage right before the "Not Responding" state of VS ended.
It took about 3 minutes for the program to respond again.
It always comes back to life if I wait long enough (max 5 minutes).
I work with C++ only in VS.
Thanks, Lior.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18754 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2023 :  08:27:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK, so this is a CPU is too busy problem. Can you please try disabling the IDE intellisense parser, which is normally done via:

IDE tools menu -> Options -> Text Editor -> C/C++ -> Advanced -> Disable Database = True

Sometimes, when both the IDE and VA are parsing code changes, there can be quite a lot of CPU usage. It should never reach the point of stopping the IDE responding, but I have occasionally seen problems like this, especially when editing widely used header files. If the problem is the IDE intellisense parser getting caught in something of a loop, with the extra load from VA parsing pushing the system to far this will fix the problem.

Go to Top of Page

liorwunsch

5 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2023 :  11:09:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello feline.
I disabled Intellisense and now some features are gone, for example highlighting of selected variable in code.
If I enable Intellisense again and use it instead of VA for the Source of C/C++ content, I still get unreponsive ide occasionally.
Is there a solution for this (highlighting) already in VA or if not, maybe another solution for the unresponsive ide problem?
Thanks, Lior.

Edited by - liorwunsch on Mar 14 2023 11:12:07 AM
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18754 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2023 :  11:31:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For highlighting of selected code, it depends on exactly what you mean. I would start by turning On both:

VA Options -> Highlighting -> Highlight write and read references to symbol under cursor

VA Options -> Highlighting -> Highlight results of Quick Find and Find in Files

you might also want to turn On:

VA Options -> Highlighting -> Highlight matching words when caret is in comments and strings

this should duplicate quite a bit of what you are talking about.

Does it look like the unresponsive IDE is related to having IDE intellisense enabled? If so, you can try setting:

IDE tools menu -> Options -> Text Editor -> C/C++ -> Advanced -> Recreate Database = True

and restarting VS2015. This should rebuild the IDE symbol database completely, so if the speed problems are related to a problem inside the IDE symbol database this will hopefully fix the problem.

Go to Top of Page

liorwunsch

5 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2023 :  04:14:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello feline.

VA's Highlighting is changed on mouse hover, even though the cursor position was not changed.

Also, it has this yellow color which makes it hard to read the surrounding code.

Currently I do not use "Highlight write and read references to symbol under cursor" and in VA's Enhanced Listboxes I checked "Default IntelliSense".

For the IntelliSense settings for C/C++ I changed: "Disable Database - False", "Rescan Solution Interval - 1", "Recreate Database - True" and restarted the IDE.

Hopefully the unresponsive problem will not occur, but I will update here if it does.

Thanks, Lior.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18754 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2023 :  1:03:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
VA highlighting should not update just from moving the mouse cursor, so if that is really what you are seeing I would love to have a look at your IDE and VA settings if possible. We have someone else reporting something very similar, but I have not been able to easily reproduce it here.

To export your VA and IDE settings you can use:

VA Options -> Performance -> Export Settings
IDE tools menu -> Import and Export Settings -> Export selected environment settings

Please send me the files via email:

[email protected]

including this thread ID or URL in the description, so we can match it up.

For the highlighting colour, this is configured via:

IDE tools menu -> Options -> Environment -> Fonts and Colors -> Display items = VA Find Reference
IDE tools menu -> Options -> Environment -> Fonts and Colors -> Display items = VA Find Reference (Modified)
IDE tools menu -> Options -> Environment -> Fonts and Colors -> Display items = VA Find Result

Hopefully rebuilding the IDE symbol database will fix these problems for you, but please do let me know if it doesn't, and we will keep working on this.

Go to Top of Page

liorwunsch

5 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2023 :  08:16:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The problem of unresponsive IDE does not occur when I use those settings:

VA Options -> Enhanced Listboxes -> Source of C/C++ content -> Default IntelliSense
IDE tools menu -> Options-> Text Editor -> C/C++ -> Advanced -> Disable Database -> False
IDE tools menu -> Options-> Text Editor -> C/C++ -> Advanced -> Rescan Solution Interval -> 1
IDE tools menu -> Options-> Text Editor -> C/C++ -> Advanced -> Recreate Database -> True

But it occurs when I use those settings:

VA Options -> Enhanced Listboxes -> Source of C/C++ content -> Visual Assist
IDE tools menu -> Options-> Text Editor -> C/C++ -> Advanced -> Disable Database -> True

For Highlighting, it seems that when I put my cursor at a variable name and scroll down or up, the highlighting sometimes change to another variable or keyword.

I am now sending you my VA and IDE settings.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18754 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2023 :  2:16:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have the settings, thank you for those:

case=149289

For the highlighting, are you using the mouse wheel to scroll, while keeping the mouse pointer in one place? If so then I think you are running into a recently reported bug where the VA highlighting can pick up the symbol under the mouse pointer on mouse wheel scroll. This is somewhat random for me, but does happen easily enough, and matches what you are reporting:

case=149002

For the pause, if you set:

VA Options -> Performance -> Thread priority = Lowest (requires restart)

and then restart your IDE, does this make any difference?

VA's parser should never cause the IDE to stop responding like this, but clearly something is going wrong here.

How many files do you have in your solution?

If you open VA's Open File in Solution dialog (Alt-Shift-O) the title bar contains two numbers. The first number is the number of files currently listed, which changes as you filter the list. The second number is the total number of files in the list, which is normally the number of files in your solution. What is this second number? This will give me some sense of the scale of your solution, in case this is an obvious factor.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000