183 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2019 :  6:56:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18727 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2019 :  11:04:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do you have the VA setting:

VA Options -> Highlighting -> Highlight write references using ...
and read references using...

turned On or Off? I suspect you have this turned off. VA is using both the foreground and background colours that are set for highlighting references in the editor in the Rename dialog box as well.

To change these colours so they make more sense change the foreground and background colours for:

IDE tools menu -> Options -> Environment -> Fonts and Colors -> Display items = VA Find Reference
IDE tools menu -> Options -> Environment -> Fonts and Colors -> Display items = VA Find Reference (Modified)

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

Zeblote
Tomato Guru

183 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2019 :  5:29:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I forgot to mention, after I installed VA for VS 2019, it seemed to detect the color scheme wrong? It was using the light theme colors for its extra syntax highlighting and I had to manually change them to something similar to the dark defaults. Maybe this is related?
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18727 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2019 :  09:15:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do you remember if you had the IDE theme set to dark before you installed VA?

Do you have VS2015 installed as well? I am wondering if the IDE might have imported some settings from VS2015. I am thinking about what setup to use to check this behaviour. VA should detect your theme when it is installed, and set its default colours accordingly.

Go to Top of Page

Zeblote
Tomato Guru

183 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2019 :  11:03:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had 2015, 2017 installed previously, both set to dark theme. VS 2019 then automatically set itself to dark theme on first open. Then I installed VA and it seems to think I'm using light theme
Go to Top of Page

accord
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
3287 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2019 :  11:42:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I tried the same, but unfortunately wasn't able to reproduce the problem:
1. Installed and started VS2019
2. Visual Studio got my colors from my previous installations and switched to Dark theme
3. Exited Visual Studio
4. Installed Visual Assist
5. Started Visual Studio again
6. My highlighting in rename dialog works correctly

Have you installed Visual Assist before you started VS2019 for the first time?

Can you please try switching to Blue theme, restart Visual Studio, and switch back to Dark theme? If the problem still persist, try restarting Visual Studio once again.
If you still have the bad colors, you can try resetting your colors via pressing the

Tools -> Options... -> Environment -> Fonts and Colors -> Use defaults button

Note that this will reset your colors as well, so this is not recommended if you have a lot of color customizations and don't want to set them again. But this may help VA register the Dark theme.

The fact you needed to set the colors manually for the Dark theme, is a clue that VA didn't "notice" the change to Dark mode, probably.

Edited by - accord on Apr 04 2019 11:47:54 PM
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18727 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2019 :  09:14:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have tried a different order of events here, but so far, still no sign of any problems. With a dark theme set before installing VA, VA is correctly picking up the theme and picking its default colours accordingly.

Go to Top of Page

Zeblote
Tomato Guru

183 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2019 :  12:37:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Switching the theme to blue and back to dark seems to have fixed the problem. Very strange.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18727 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2019 :  06:42:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I suspect the exact order of installing and loading the IDE and VA will be important here, assuming this is something that could be reliably reproduced on demand. I am seeing some signs that VS2017 and VS2019 share colour and font settings, but I haven't actually looked into this properly, so it might just be on first load.

At least changing the theme is a quick and simple fix, and a lot easier than manually adjusting each of VA's default colours to suit your dark theme. So thank you for this update.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000