Visual Assist Not Loading
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

adavenport

USA
8 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2018 :  01:06:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had to reinstall Visual Studio due to some issues, and now I can't get Visual Assist to even load properly. I tried reverting to 15.45,and I still can't VA to load. There is no menu icon and no VA hotkeys are registering. I have it enabled in my extensions. I'm not quite sure what else to try at this point.

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18751 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2018 :  07:18:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How are you loading the IDE?

Are you passing any command line switches to the IDE when you load it?

Can you please try going into the:

IDE tools menu -> Extensions and Updates...

dialog and disable VA, which will require an IDE restart. Now go back into this dialog and enable VA again, which will require another IDE restart. Does this make any difference?

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

adavenport

USA
8 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2018 :  12:27:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm loading the IDE without any special commands. Toggling the extension did not make any difference. This is a fresh install of VS, and I have not been prompted to even enter my license for Visual Assist yet.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18751 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2018 :  1:59:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is your machine connected to the internet? I am wondering if somehow, there is something in your default profile that is stopping VA from loading. To test this, can you please close all instances of the IDE, and then use Windows Key + R to run the command:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Professional\Common7\IDE\devenv.exe" /RootSuffix VATest

if you have a different version of VS2017, so a different install path, you will need to alter the path accordingly. This will create a new, default test profile for the IDE. Once this has loaded, if you now go into the:

IDE tools menu -> Extensions and Updates...

dialog, and search online for VA, which won't be installed in this profile. Which is why being online is important for this test. If you now install VA, and reload the IDE, again with this command line switch, does VA now show up in the IDE?

If you run VS2017 normally, without the command line switch, you will be returned to your normal, default profile, keeping the test profile separate.

Go to Top of Page

adavenport

USA
8 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2018 :  3:22:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Upon opening with the new profile the first error I get is

"We could not download your preferred environment settings. Click continue to choose your environment settings now."

When I try and install VA from the extensions and updates menu, my list is empty with the mesage
"There are no configured extension galleries."

I tried updating back to 15.5.4 and turning off my firewall but I still can't access online extensions.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18751 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2018 :  4:16:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The first message makes some sense, but is not what I get when I do this. I am given a "Visual Studio welcome" screen, and asked to sign in with my account, or sign in later. If your account information is already stored on your system, that might explain a different message at this point.

For the extensions and updates dialog, is your machine actually connected to the internet? If so, are you looking at the "Online -> Visual Studio Marketplace" list?

Go to Top of Page

adavenport

USA
8 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2018 :  5:28:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah the machine is connected to the internet and everything else seems to work fine, the list of online extensions does not seem to populate however.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18751 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2018 :  09:51:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is rather strange. Which version of VS2017 are you using? Which OS are you using?

Can you look for the directory:

%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\VisualStudio\15.0_xxxxx\Extensions
the 15.0_xxxx directory name will depend on your machine, so I cannot give you the exact path. Are there any sub-directories under the Extensions folder? If so, do any of them contain the file "va_x.dll"

I am checking that VA is installed as expected, and wondering about other extensions installed alongside VA.

Go to Top of Page

adavenport

USA
8 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2018 :  4:50:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm tempted to believe this could be caused by recent windows updates.

I'm running windows 10 Pro, Version 1709, OS Build: 16299.125.

Visual Studio is 15.5.4, my directory name for VS is 15.0_3d3cd9c1. I do have 1 sub-directory under extensions that has a va_x.dll file, "mlapibcs.lwt".
Go to Top of Page

adavenport

USA
8 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2018 :  10:52:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok so I installed VS Professional alongside my Community installation and everything works fine. Apparently I just need to find a way to do a total reset of my community installation because doing a reinstall or repair is not working.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18751 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2018 :  07:26:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for the update. Just to double check, are things now working correctly in your community install as well as in the professional install?

I have seen a couple of cases before where we had to delete the installed profile to get things working again, so it sounds a bit like you ran into a similar problem here. I still have no idea what is causing these problems though, unfortunately.

Go to Top of Page

adavenport

USA
8 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2018 :  11:13:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
VS Community still doesn't work on my account. I tried deleting every VS related file to reset VS. I made another user account on Windows and everything works on that account. What files should I delete to do a total reset?
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18751 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2018 :  3:17:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The first step to try is close all instances of the IDE, and then look for the file:

C:\Users\%USERNAME%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\VisualStudio\15.0_*\privateregistry.bin

or perhaps "privateregistry.user.bin"

this will delete your IDE settings, but won't remove any installed extensions. However it will disable any installed extensions, so you will have to enable VA in the extensions and updates dialog again, which will require an IDE restart.

If this doesn't help, the next step up is to delete the entire directory:

C:\Users\%USERNAME%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\VisualStudio\15.0*
which will delete your IDE settings, but also delete any installed extensions.

You may have already tried this, depending on where you were deleting files from, but this has helped a few times before, so worth a try.

Go to Top of Page

adavenport

USA
8 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2018 :  4:50:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for all the help but I had already tried that. I'm pretty sure something was messed up with one of the recent updates for Windows or Visual Studio. I ended up just resetting Windows and now everything is working fine. I wish I had a more conclusive reason as to why it decided to break, but oh well. Thanks again.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18751 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2018 :  07:15:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sadly, sometimes "an update broke something" is as specific as any of us manage to get. Thank you for the update, I am glad this is now working correctly for you, and apologies for all of the problems you had along the way.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000