New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Woody

Czech Republic
30 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2017 :  07:37:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello,
Maybe it's connected to the Fall Creators Update as well or to some VA changes made recently to hotfix the problems of the Win10 update, but sometimes, if I press alt-g, it swaps lines of code instead of "Goto implementation" functionality. If I use undo and then alt-g again, it many times works correctly. Sometimes it does nothing. I thought it's the default behavior of the Visual Studio that kicks in and could be disabled, but haven't found any such functionality in VS. Has anyone seen the same?
I have all recent Win10 cumulative updates installed and using VA 2238.2
Regards,
Tomas

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18749 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2017 :  08:57:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do you ever notice a blank window / hole in the IDE where the VA Context and Definition fields should appear, at the top of the editor window? Or perhaps a missing Find References Results window?

I am guessing you do, and if so, it sounds like you are seeing the problem discussed in this thread:

https://forums.wholetomato.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14039

VA 2238.2 offers some changes to try and work around the problem, and we are hopeful that the Microsoft December patch Tuesday patch will fix this problem, once it is released.

For now, if, when you encounter an active/focused editor window that has a blank space where the VA Navigation Bar is supposed to be, you close the editor window, then re-open this file, this should help to limit the problem.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

Woody

Czech Republic
30 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2017 :  10:52:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was reporting the original problem with missing nav bar in another threat, but I thought the cumulative update KB4051963 released 30.11.2017 is the one from December released earlier. So we are still waiting for the December patch? Ok then
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18749 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2017 :  4:52:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I didn't realise you had already posted in that thread.

Yes, still waiting for the Microsoft patch, which is expected in December. We have made some changes in VA to try and work around this.

Does Alt-G always have this problem for you, or only some of the time? The theory behind these being connected is that if the alt-g menu cannot be drawn, since VA cannot create a new window for the menu, the key press, or part of it, "falls through" to the IDE and triggers a different command. But this should only happen some of the time, not all of the time.

Go to Top of Page

Woody

Czech Republic
30 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2017 :  12:59:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, it happens just sometimes, so I also thought it just falls through so I wanted to disable the VS functionality, so it does nothing instead, but was surprised alg-g should do something else in VS by default (Edit.BriefBrowse)
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18749 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2017 :  06:34:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am not sure why this is happening if you are still using Alt-G for Goto. I assumed you must have changed the keyboard shortcut to something else that was closer to the shortcuts that the IDE will register for swapping lines.

For me, Shift+Alt+T is mapped to Edit.LineTranspose, which is what I use when I want to swap two lines. This is clearly a different keyboard shortcut. Hopefully this will improve with the Microsoft fix.

Go to Top of Page

accord
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
3287 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2017 :  06:49:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't know if this is helpful at all, but I think this thread is related: https://forums.wholetomato.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14022
Go to Top of Page

Woody

Czech Republic
30 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2017 :  1:39:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes! As somebody mentioned there, it actually executes Edit.MoveSelectedLinesDown that is mapped to Alt-Down. I'm going to unmap that one. Looks like swapped lines :) Good I'm not alone.

Edited by - Woody on Dec 06 2017 1:40:31 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000