Periods show up in wrong document!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jeffno

USA
13 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2017 :  12:56:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
After editing in VS2015 for some amount of time, apparently randomly, VA gets into a state where every period or left-parenthesis that I type will end up in a different document. The current document accepts all other characters that I've tried, just not . and (

The effect goes away when I disable VA, but returns as soon as I re-enable it.

Turning off dot-to-pointer doesn't fix it.

Haven't seen this happen in 2017 yet.

jeffno

USA
13 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2017 :  1:04:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Let me clarify a bit: When I type . or (, that character does not appear in the document that has focus, but instead appears in some other document that doesn't have focus. If I switch to that other document, I'll see those characters there, and I can ctrl-Z them away. Even if I then switch back to the original document, those characters continue to appear in the other document. Only restarting VS seems to fix it.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18724 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2017 :  12:00:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do you have the IDE setting:

"Show Miscellaneous files in Solution Explorer" in Tools|Options|Environment|Documents.

turned On? If so, can you please try turning off this setting, and see if this has any effect on this problem? There is a known bug in the IDE, where it tells VA that the wrong code file is currently open, causing VA to send characters to the "open" file, which only happens with this setting turned On. It sounds like this is what is happening to you.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

jeffno

USA
13 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2017 :  12:20:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That setting (show misc) is not turned on.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18724 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2017 :  2:05:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's not good, I was fairly certain this setting was the problem.

Is this problem file specific?

When this starts happening, what happens if you close all open code files, then just open a single code file and type . and ( into it? What happens with just two files open?

A fairly random thought, do you have the IDE setting:

IDE tools menu -> Options -> Environment -> Documents -> Check for consistent line endings on load

On or Off? If this is turned Off can you please try turning it On, and see if you get warned about any of the files you are opening and working on.

Go to Top of Page

jeffno

USA
13 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2017 :  3:39:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
>Is this problem file specific?
I've noticed it on multiple files.

>IDE tools menu -> Options -> Environment -> Documents -> Check for consistent line endings on load
It is on already. I don't get any warnings, but I do notice the * appear next to the other document's tab, (i.e. indicating it was indeed modified).

I'll report on the single-file behavior when next it repros...
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18724 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2017 :  4:04:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Once this starts happening, if you open a new file, does the problem show up there as well?

The only other problem I can remember that sounds like the problem you are seeing is when very complex template code can confuse our parser, but this is rare, and is normally limited to just a handful of files in a given solution.

Do you have any other extensions installed? Specifically anything else that might help with typing or editing, so might be a factor in this problem?

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000