New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

darkpotpot

France
10 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2017 :  10:49:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello,

I have some trouble to have a good suggestion list when hitting ctrl+space. For exemple, with the following code:
std::string l_str_Test;
l_str.

Hitting ctrl + space after the . does nothing if I have "Visual Assist" set as source of c/c++ content in the Enhanced listboxes parameters. If I want to have something displayed, I need to set "Default Intellisense" (and also activate intellisense in visual studio, which I really don't want).

If I look closely at what happen, even if I set Visual Assist as source for enhanced c++ content, in the status bar there is an error suggesting it still rely on intellisense
quote:
Intellisense:'Failed due to intellisense disabled'.

Everything was working perfectly on a previous version (unfortunately I don't remember which one).

Are there any parameters that might have been changed and result in this behavior?

I'm using visual studio 2017.

Edited by - darkpotpot on Sep 28 2017 10:54:04 AM

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18724 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2017 :  1:27:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is there a typo in the sample code? You have declared the variable "l_str_Test", but have a dot after "l_str", which is not a variable you have declared.

VA should not have any problems with std::string, but obviously something is happening here. If you place the caret into the problem variable and press alt-g what happens? You should be taken to the declaration of the variable, if VA understands the type of the variable.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

darkpotpot

France
10 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2017 :  05:06:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Indeed there is a typo, sorry.

If I do alt-g on l_str_Test (the one for which I'm trying to get suggestion list), it works and I'm sent to the declaration.
I tried doing alt-g on std::string and it takes me to the stdafx.h file in the folder C:\Users\potiron\AppData\Local\Microsoft\VisualStudio\15.0_ed6696b6\Extensions\gf3j2l1b.euc\Misc, line 752
typedef std::basic_string<char, char_traits<char>, allocator<char> > string; // for vc6 std::string

Anyway, I just tried uninstalling and reinstalling VA. At the start VA did it's parsing and now it seems to be back to normal (alt-g on std::string takes me to xstring microsoft file).
I should have tried this earlier, sorry.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18724 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2017 :  07:35:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for the update. It is interesting that the uninstall and reinstall fixed this issue. This suggests that it was actually the VA symbol database rebuild that happened that was the fix. If you see this problem again, which is definitely possible, a quicker method is to press the button:

VA Options -> Performance -> Rebuild symbol databases

then restart the IDE. This will prompt VA to start over with its symbol database. At a guess VA encountered something that confused or replaced its normal definition of std::string. If so, and the code is in one of the normal projects or libraries you work with the problem may come back again. If so, and if we can pin down the trigger, I may be able to help with a better work around for you.

Go to Top of Page

darkpotpot

France
10 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2017 :  06:38:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you very much for the information, indeed it'll be faster. I'll let you know if it happens again.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18724 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2017 :  07:23:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for the update. If we are lucky this was a one off strange problem, but I suspect it was triggered by some specific code, so will come back with time.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000