Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Tobias.Noell

4 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2017 :  08:30:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Configuration:
General Release Build 2212
VS 2015 Pro Update 3

Hi,
I'm having the problem that my new computer freezes (about every 1-2 hours). Strange about this is that it only freezes when using Visual Studio (during typing / scrolling in the editor) and only when Visual Assist is installed. If I uninstall Visual Assist or run Visual Studio in safe mode the issue is resolved. Note that not only Visual Studio freezes but the whole computer (I can't even move the mouse anymore). I already tried to configure Visual Studio to use software rendering but this does not seem to help. Is there anything I can do to narrow down the problem since it seems to be related to Visual Assist?
Thanks in advance

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18724 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2017 :  11:18:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When you say freezes, do you mean it pauses for a few seconds, or are you getting a complete hard lock, where you have to power off and power back on to get back into the system?

If you are talking about a pause, can you please run Task Manager, or another CPU monitor, to see if these pauses are matched to a major CPU spike in any particular process? VA is not listed separately, we are lumped in with "devenv.exe" when looking at the CPU usage.

If you mean a complete hard lock, have you looked for any updated drivers? Are you working locally or via remote desktop?

Do you have a keyboard or mouse that requires its own driver, to support any extra features or buttons? Very occasionally, once every few years, I have seen reports of crash type problems with VA active that are fixed by updating the software for the mouse or keyboard, so its a possibility.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

Tobias.Noell

4 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2017 :  11:45:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No, I was talking about a complete hard lock (computer completely frozen, no possibility to do anything, except restart). Guess a driver issue is the most probable explanation. However, it is strange that it only occurs if VAX enabled. I indeed have a mouse with additional buttons (Logitech Performance MX) for which I now installed the latest drivers (before the default windows drivers were installed). Hope this fixes it, will keep you up-to-date. Thanks for the feedback.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18724 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2017 :  12:43:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Many apologies for this. Are you working locally or remotely?

This sort of problem only comes up very rarely, and should always track back to drivers sooner or later. VA is only running with the rights that the IDE its self has, and the IDE should not be able to take down the system like this.

I have seen one or two reports of older Logitech drivers / software for their mouse and keyboards causing problems like this. It is very rare, but it is somewhere to start.

If the new software does not help, do you have the option of trying a standard mouse for a day or two, just to check if this is somehow a factor? One of the problems is that if the crash is in the driver, by the time we would hope to get an error message back from the system, it is already to late, and the system has gone down. So it leaves us guessing.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000