Technical Support
 Refactor - Consider files outside solution
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ontherocks

13 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2014 :  02:40:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I believe VA takes into consideration only the files present in solution for refactoring.
Is it possible to specify some path somewhere so that it takes into consideration the source files present in those locations as well?

sean
Whole Tomato Software

USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2014 :  1:09:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
At this time, there is no way to externally add files to a solution. We do have an open feature request for it: case=21519.

A workaround follows:
create a new project as a placeholder (the project will not affect the build of the solution).
add the project to the solution.
add the external files to the project.
open the VS Configuration Manager and uncheck the Build box of the project (repeat for each configuration)
Go to Top of Page

ontherocks

13 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2014 :  07:12:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This workaround is not feasible. The codebase I work with has thousands of files. Pulling all of them in a project is not practical.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18753 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2014 :  1:13:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If the main problem is adding all of the files to a project, then this might help:

www.wholetomatoforum.com/colin/forumimages/make_solution_from_files_2_0.zip

it is a VBscript file I wrote to create a Visual Studio project from all of the files in a directory tree. It can create VS2010, VS2012 or VS2013 format solutions, depending on the settings. The solution is not designed to compile, it is just designed to help VA find all of the files. The script recurses down a directory tree, adding all matching file extensions to the project.

Usage is:

make_VS2010_solution_from_files.vbs workingSolution c:\\src\\test_make3\
where "workingSolution" is the name of the solution and project to create, and "c:\\src\\test_make3\\" is the name of the directory to scan. The script places the solution and project files into the base of this directory.

There are some constants at the top of the script file to edit, to control which IDE's to make solutions for, which file extensions to include, and if you want the IDE launched with the generated solution or not.

The script is designed to overwrite the existing solution and project file, so you can simply re-run it to update with an updated list of files.

If this helps, you can simply add the new project to your existing solution, and then make sure it is marked as don't compile.

Please note this script is not officially supported, but if you do try, and have any problems with it let me know and I will try and fix it.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness

Edited by - feline on Nov 26 2014 1:14:05 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000