New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dusan
Whole Tomato Software

Slovakia
177 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2013 :  07:30:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am not sure if this is already in consideration, but it would be fine to have a way to rename all enum entries common portion at once.

For example, if there is enum:

enum TextColor
{
TC_Red,
TC_Green,
TC_Brown,
TC_Blue,
TC_Black,
TC_White,
};

And lets say that I want to rename all its references in code,
I could be able just click on "TextColor" and choose "rename members common part" and VA X would provide rename dialog with "TC_" portion.

If I then type "TextColor_", I would get renamed all enum members references in project/sloution to changed enum:

enum TextColor
{
TextColor_Red,
TextColor_Green,
TextColor_Brown,
TextColor_Blue,
TextColor_Black,
TextColor_White,
};

accord
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
3287 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2013 :  8:49:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like this, and maybe, it could be used on multiple symbols as well. I have put in a feature request for this to see what the developers make of it:

case=78833

However, since normally a list appears with renamed references, maybe we would need multiple lists which isn't practical. Blind rename is an option here though, but it has its drawback of not having a chance to spot a potential renaming problem.

All in all, it would do a lot more change in the code at once which is great but potential problems would be multiplied.
Go to Top of Page

jay.carlton
Ketchup Master

USA
65 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2013 :  4:50:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There might be a use case or two for some general prefix recognition, enforcement, or modernization options. For example, if I have a number stand-alone functions starting with a Foo prefix, maybe I could have an operation that renamed them all and moved them to namespace foo or class FooUtils?

Once scoped enums in C++11 become more widespread, I might actually want the reverse capability of what DusanDusan is asking for. That is, to replace the prefix of each enum member with a strongly typed enum qualifier. I think the syntax would be TextColor::Red, assuming the enum declaration was changed to an "enum class" declaration. Haven't tried this yet, though.
Go to Top of Page

accord
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
3287 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2013 :  9:36:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Excellent ideas, I like them They're great use cases for the feature. I have added them to the case, so they can serve as a rationale as well, for the feature.

I wouldn't merge with move to namespace, though. For example, moving independent methods to a namespace doesn't make much sense. Users will probably want to move the whole class to a namespace instead, first. You can still use refactorings to move stuff to namespace providing you will have a separate refactoring for that in some point in the future.
Go to Top of Page

jay.carlton
Ketchup Master

USA
65 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2013 :  09:34:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by accord

I wouldn't merge with move to namespace, though. For example, moving independent methods to a namespace doesn't make much sense. Users will probably want to move the whole class to a namespace instead, first.

I think there are some advantages of moving stand-alone methods to a namespace and bypassing a class. You still get shorter method names, and the compiler and other tools can both understand and enforce the naming convention. It's common I think for C or pre-namespace C++ code to be organized by naming convention only, and this kind of maneuver might make it easy to do more object-oriented refactorings down the line.

If you move them directly to a new utility class, you'd probably want to make them static members, but there are advantages for doing that as well.

But ultimately, I think having a general idea of "target scope" for rename and extract operations would be helpful for larger solutions. So I could have Rename to namespace, extract method to {private method, anonymous namespace free function in implementation file, globally exported free function in lower level project, etc.}.
Go to Top of Page

accord
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
3287 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2013 :  10:08:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I meant class methods that are already part of a class

You are right about moving scope, but first, we should have a separate moving scope refactoring first. :) So we can consider creating a composite one.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000