Visual Assist
 Feature Requests
 Replace common portion in enum

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Dusan Posted - Dec 02 2013 : 07:30:13 AM
I am not sure if this is already in consideration, but it would be fine to have a way to rename all enum entries common portion at once.

For example, if there is enum:

enum TextColor
{
TC_Red,
TC_Green,
TC_Brown,
TC_Blue,
TC_Black,
TC_White,
};

And lets say that I want to rename all its references in code,
I could be able just click on "TextColor" and choose "rename members common part" and VA X would provide rename dialog with "TC_" portion.

If I then type "TextColor_", I would get renamed all enum members references in project/sloution to changed enum:

enum TextColor
{
TextColor_Red,
TextColor_Green,
TextColor_Brown,
TextColor_Blue,
TextColor_Black,
TextColor_White,
};
5   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
accord Posted - Dec 12 2013 : 10:08:15 PM
I meant class methods that are already part of a class

You are right about moving scope, but first, we should have a separate moving scope refactoring first. :) So we can consider creating a composite one.
jay.carlton Posted - Dec 11 2013 : 09:34:37 AM
quote:
Originally posted by accord

I wouldn't merge with move to namespace, though. For example, moving independent methods to a namespace doesn't make much sense. Users will probably want to move the whole class to a namespace instead, first.

I think there are some advantages of moving stand-alone methods to a namespace and bypassing a class. You still get shorter method names, and the compiler and other tools can both understand and enforce the naming convention. It's common I think for C or pre-namespace C++ code to be organized by naming convention only, and this kind of maneuver might make it easy to do more object-oriented refactorings down the line.

If you move them directly to a new utility class, you'd probably want to make them static members, but there are advantages for doing that as well.

But ultimately, I think having a general idea of "target scope" for rename and extract operations would be helpful for larger solutions. So I could have Rename to namespace, extract method to {private method, anonymous namespace free function in implementation file, globally exported free function in lower level project, etc.}.
accord Posted - Dec 10 2013 : 9:36:42 PM
Excellent ideas, I like them They're great use cases for the feature. I have added them to the case, so they can serve as a rationale as well, for the feature.

I wouldn't merge with move to namespace, though. For example, moving independent methods to a namespace doesn't make much sense. Users will probably want to move the whole class to a namespace instead, first. You can still use refactorings to move stuff to namespace providing you will have a separate refactoring for that in some point in the future.
jay.carlton Posted - Dec 10 2013 : 4:50:01 PM
There might be a use case or two for some general prefix recognition, enforcement, or modernization options. For example, if I have a number stand-alone functions starting with a Foo prefix, maybe I could have an operation that renamed them all and moved them to namespace foo or class FooUtils?

Once scoped enums in C++11 become more widespread, I might actually want the reverse capability of what DusanDusan is asking for. That is, to replace the prefix of each enum member with a strongly typed enum qualifier. I think the syntax would be TextColor::Red, assuming the enum declaration was changed to an "enum class" declaration. Haven't tried this yet, though.
accord Posted - Dec 06 2013 : 8:49:20 PM
I like this, and maybe, it could be used on multiple symbols as well. I have put in a feature request for this to see what the developers make of it:

case=78833

However, since normally a list appears with renamed references, maybe we would need multiple lists which isn't practical. Blind rename is an option here though, but it has its drawback of not having a chance to spot a potential renaming problem.

All in all, it would do a lot more change in the code at once which is great but potential problems would be multiplied.

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000