Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jzq740176597
Tomato Guru

China
329 Posts

Posted - May 26 2013 :  10:09:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Like the title,many time when I hang my cursor over the class-name CFoo:

CFoo  obj;

I want to get the suggestion about the constructor(s) info.

But for now, there's no, so I have to Alg+G to the define-h file of it, and go-back.

May VA can fix it,it makes sense.

Regards!

Creation come from persist!

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18751 Posts

Posted - May 28 2013 :  7:10:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you show VA View, then place keyboard focus back into the editor, and now hover the mouse over the type "CFoo" VA will show you the class members in the bottom section of VA View, including the constructors.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

jzq740176597
Tomato Guru

China
329 Posts

Posted - May 28 2013 :  8:27:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have tried that.But another 2 questions.
(1)There No VA command like VAOutline,I can assign a Accelerator Key to fast switch to it. It only have VaViewSIW and VaViewSIW.
When I switch to VAView by VaViewSIW or VaViewSIW I have to close by Ecs. It's boring.

(2)I admire The VAView Now is sufficient for get the class-info including it's constructor.But For someone like me Accustomed to Stay VAOutline-view,I have to Switch to VAView and come back.It's very inconvenient.

I observe that When I put the caret in a class Name.
Just has info in navigate-bar
class AsdkPerDocData{...}
And when I hang on the class-name,It's just a down-arrow for more options and suggestion >class AsdkPerDocData{...}.

I think that's Duplicated with the navigate-bar.And this suggest-info
it's not very useful or sufficient for user.

So I advise When hang one the class-name, The snippet will be the info same as VAView. or at least,Can offer a commmand to show the info of a class like VAView if I hang on or put the caret in a class-name.

That's will largely reduce the time and keystroke wiht Alg+G and Navigate-back.
It's really make sense.
Thanks-?-

Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18751 Posts

Posted - May 30 2013 :  4:47:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am seeing the problem with the available keyboard commands in VC6. I have put in a feature request to add a command to just show VA View without opening either of the pull down lists:

case=74611

VA Outline is designed to show you the current file. The Hovering Class Browser, the bottom section of VA View, is designed to give you a view of a specific class. So they are designed to show you different information. If you have enough screen space you can have them both showing at once, so you don't need to jump between them.

The definition field does not show you all members of a class, even when you use the pull down list.

A listbox will show you the class members, but you have to trigger a listbox to see it. The listbox will not stay open while you study it, and a listbox does not show you the parameters the function takes, and it does not list the overloads for an overloaded function.

For a large class, putting all of the class members into a tooltip is not going to work very well, which is why the HCB is useful as a docked window.

Go to Top of Page

jzq740176597
Tomato Guru

China
329 Posts

Posted - May 30 2013 :  8:08:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
First,thanks foe your timely reply.

(1)
quote:
If you have enough screen space you can have them both showing at once, so you don't need to jump between them.

In vc6,How can I have them both showing at once?

(2)
quote:
For a large class, putting all of the class members into a tooltip is not going to work very well, which is why the HCB is useful as a docked window

Exactly,I just consider that the class-name tooltip is Duplicated with the info in navigate-bar.So why not just put several constructor(if any ) in the tooltips?
If you consider that may the constructor is much many for large class.May offer a switch in options control max-entrys.
Another solution, Disp a [...] if many constructors exsit.

I really think can fast get the constructor info is make sense and will largely speed up my code-working.

Becouse many times when -?+?create a class-object but don't know the constructor's parameters info,Have to switch .h file and come back.

Some times .The constructor is complicated,I have to switch several times.

Really hope you team can figure out a solution for us.

Regards.

Edited by - jzq740176597 on May 30 2013 8:09:49 PM
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18751 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2013 :  7:44:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Apologies, my mistake, you cannot show both VA Outline and VA View at once in VC6. You can easily do this in the newer IDE's, and you can move the entire docked window block around in VC6, but I cannot find any way to separate out the separate tabs.

The context and definition fields respect the current caret position, while the tooltip works based on the current mouse position. So they are doing "different" things. Even if they were doing exactly the same thing, this would still be useful, since our users tend to want both keyboard and mouse access to information and commands

Have you tried triggering the parameter info tooltip for the constructor? This tooltip is designed to give you exactly the information you are looking for. The two following code lines both give me a parameter info tooltip:

AsdkPerDocData newVar1 = AsdkPerDocData(|);
AsdkPerDocData *newVar2 = new AsdkPerDocData(|);

both are quick and easy to enter, with VA suggestion listboxes, once you have typed the class name at the start of the line.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000