New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

RickGaudette

USA
5 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2013 :  4:15:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,
I am running the trial version of 10.7.1929.0 on Visual Studio 2003 and 2008. All seems to be working well under 2008, but Visual Assist does not appear to be working under VS 2003. For example, all of the refactor options are greyed out and the Surround With VA Snippet functions have no effect.

Should Visual Assist work under VS 2003 on Windows 7?

Thanks for any info!
Rick

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18751 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2013 :  8:08:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Are you able to load the VA options dialog for VS2003? If you open the VAssistX IDE menu, which items, if any, are enabled?

If VA is disabled then the only enabled items in the top level menu should be "Refactor", "Tools" and possibly "Enable/Disable Visual Assist X"

If you look in:

IDE tools menu -> Add-in Manager -> list of available add-ins

is VA checked? Is startup checked or unchecked?

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

RickGaudette

USA
5 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2013 :  9:42:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,
Yes, I am able to load the VA options dialog. All of the first level menu selections are enabled (not grayed out), except for Clone Find Reference Rights. For the submenu or context menus, the refactor entries are all grayed out but the surround with entries are all available (but none of them have any effect). The last sentence refers to when I have an identifier such as a variable or function name selected.

The Add-in manager lists Visual Assist X as checked for startup.

Here is some more information that might be useful. When I first started exploring visual assist and opened a second VS 2003 instance, there was a complaint from VS 2003 that VA add-in crashed or something along those lines. It asked me if I wanted to disable startup of VA, I selected no but VS 2003 apparently disabled the add-in anyway. I have since uninstalled and reinstalled VA but I am wondering if there is something left in a bad state withing VS 2003 with respect to the VA add-in.

Thanks!
Rick

Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18751 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2013 :  2:31:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have VA 1929 working quite happily in VS2003 SP1 under Windows 7 64bit, so there is no fundamental issue here.

Do any VA features work? I would expect uninstalling and reinstalling to have fixed most basic issues.

If you use the VAssistX menu or toolbar, does the Open File in Solution dialog work? What about the Find Symbol dialog?
If these dialogs are appearing, are they actually showing files and symbols?

Are you seeing any VA syntax highlighting?

How about the Alt-m list?

Edited by - feline on Mar 08 2013 2:32:49 PM
Go to Top of Page

RickGaudette

USA
5 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2013 :  6:32:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The open file in solution does work, I can open files from the dialog box. And the find symbol dialog works as well, I can search a symbol, double click on it and VA will take me to the definition. Find references does not work though and syntax highlighting from VA is not working (the standard highlighting from visual studio is). Alt-m is not working.

I check all of the features you described in a visual studio 2008 windows, they all work fine in that version on my machine.

Thanks!
Rick

Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18751 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2013 :  4:22:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Unexpected, I take it this is a C++ project? So you are seeing these problems in .cpp and .h files?

Can you please make sure all instances of devenv.exe have been closed, and there are no background IDE processes running. Then uninstall VA via the windows control panel.

After the uninstall, please open a windows command prompt and go to the VS2003 install directory, probably:

cd "C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\\Common7\\IDE\\"

and then issue the command:

devenv.exe /setup

and wait for the devenv.exe process to exit. You need to look in task manager to check this, not simply watch for the command to return

If you load VS2003 is everything looking good? It should be, this works fine for me. Now please reinstall VA, and see how things are in VS2003. Do you get any errors during the install process? You are running the installer with admin rights aren't you?

Edited by - feline on Mar 11 2013 4:23:24 PM
Go to Top of Page

RickGaudette

USA
5 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2013 :  4:40:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

Yes it is a C++ project. I think I have found what the cause is on my machine. I have renamed devenv.exe and devenv.xml in VS 2003 to devenv2003.exe and devenv2003.xml. This was done because I have VS 2008 on the machine and need to build via the command line from both versions in the same makefile project. When I changed the VS 2003 filenames back to the original devenv.exe and devenv.xml VA works fine.

So, does this make sense to you, changing the name of the files devenv.exe and devenv.xml would break VA?

If so, is there any work around you can think of that would allow VA to run with the devenv executable filename modified?

Thanks
Rick
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18751 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2013 :  4:09:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This makes some sense to me, especially if VA is looking for a "devenv.exe" process by name. We have to hook into the IDE at a deep level, and perform some crafty tricks to do things.

For your makefile, can you simply specify the full path to each IDE? The path's are distinct, so no confusion there.

Alternatively make a shortcut to the IDE and call that, or even a simple batch / script file that calls the correct IDE and passes along the command line arguments. Environment variables are another option that you might be able to use.

Go to Top of Page

RickGaudette

USA
5 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2013 :  9:00:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the workaround ideas. The script idea did the trick, an alias actually since the build environment is under cygwin. VA is working fine with the original devenv.exe executable name now :).
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18751 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2013 :  12:18:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for the update, its good to know this has been fixed and VA is now working properly for you

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000