45 Posts

Posted - May 30 2011 :  11:03:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I will try it. Thanks
Go to Top of Page

FWillen

Germany
45 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2011 :  04:32:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was just remembering one detail. The most times I had the Alt-O problem, I had two solutions opend in VS 2005. But I don't know if I had opened two solutions every time.

We are customizing our software for each customer. So it is possible that I open two VS 2005 with two similar named solutions in different folder (one for costumer A and one for costumer B). Solution B is based on solution A so they have almost the same files. Could this be a problem for VA?

Two times, VA was showing me the corresponding file in the correct project but not in the correct solution after pressing Alt-O. This was really evil, because I changed a file many things in the wrong project. But this was about two years ago and it never happend again. I don't know, if this problem with the wrong solution still ex+?sts. I hope this will help you fixing the problem.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18750 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2011 :  10:35:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There used to be a problem with two similar solutions open at once, in two separate IDE's, where VA could get confused. We made a change some time ago now, so that each IDE instance has its own private solution database, to stop exactly these type of problems.

So this is probably what was happening two years ago, and it is good to know that the fix for this is working well.

Are any of the solution directories part of your stable include directories? Having code files you are actively working on in the stable include directories has been known to confuse VA. This is very rare, so you probably don't have this, but it is worth asking just in case.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

FWillen

Germany
45 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2011 :  09:49:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not the files I mentioned. But we have some files in a stable include directory.

We do have some base-classes in an external dll. For these dll we have the sources and for debugging issues I put the folder of this sources into the stable include directories.

As you say this, I can remember that VA got confused with this files. Some source files are stored in a subfolder. The Include command wasn't correct, and VA open't the wrong stdafx.h. After I replaced the includecommand, VA was opening the correct stdafx.h.
Go to Top of Page

FWillen

Germany
45 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2011 :  11:44:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just a similar problem, maybe the problem:

There is a class Platzset in project A und B. Platzset in project A has a variable called m_Platzmatch, in project B the variable is called m_PlNr. If I type in m_Pl, VA is showing me both variable (suggestion).

Some other variable have the same name but one letter is in one project in upper case, in the other in lower case. Why does VA show my a variable if I don't have the variable declared in another project. Could this be the cause, why VA shows me the wrong file in Alt-O? Nevertheless, this is a bad behavior and should be solved.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18750 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2011 :  2:13:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Having code in your stable include directories should only be a problem if you are regularly editing the code, so this is probably not a factor here.

The two classes members being shown in the same listbox, it sounds like case=56104 again, which is down as a high priority bug.

I don't see how this could confuse Alt-O though. Apologies for the problems you are having, and thank you for your patience in working with me to try and find out what is going on here.

Go to Top of Page

FWillen

Germany
45 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2011 :  03:30:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No problem, I know how difficult it could be, to find such a bug.

But maybe case 56104 will solve the Alt-O problem too.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18750 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2011 :  9:17:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Apologies for the slow reply about the Alt-O problem. I have checked internally, and none of us can figure out how the duplicate class names could be triggering the Alt-O problem.

Can you try the following for me please.

Load the IDE but do not load your solution. Then turn on VA logging:

VA Options -> Performance -> Enable logging

then load your solution. Once the solution has finished loading, and VA has finished parsing (VA has applied its enhanced syntax highlighting to your code) turn off logging in the VA options dialog, and then send me the log files.

It is possible there is something in your solution that is confusing VA, and leading to the Alt-O problems, and if so it might show up in the logs.

This FAQ entry explains finding and sending the log files:

http://docs.wholetomato.com?W305

Go to Top of Page

FWillen

Germany
45 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2011 :  01:29:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I added the logfiles and got the case number 58304.

There are log-files for two projects, each in one subfolder. In the sollist, I have the problem with some variables, that are similar in both projects (Refactoring is not working). TLR is another larger project, I'm actually working at.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18750 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2011 :  4:46:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have the log files, thank you for these. We believe the refactoring problems are also caused by case=56104, since VA is not properly resolving / understanding what the problem symbols are. This is a high priority bug, and we are looking for a good solution to it.

But this does not explain the alt-o problem, hence the log files.

Go to Top of Page

FWillen

Germany
45 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2011 :  01:41:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ok, thanks.

When will case 56104 probably be fixed?

With the Alt-O: I will follow your steps if the Alt-O problem occours again and send you the information you asked for.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18750 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2011 :  11:38:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Unfortunately I don't currently have an estimate on case=56104, but I have discussed it with our developers, and we are actively looking into this. Hopefully a good solution will appear soon.

Go to Top of Page

FWillen

Germany
45 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2011 :  01:31:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18750 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2011 :  10:40:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Unfortunately the log files are not offering any clues, there is no sign of anything that should be causing VA problems, or that would explain why Alt-O is getting confused.

Next time the problem happens, any details you can provide about the problem will be interesting. The full paths of the two files, and if the problem is reproducible will be a good place to start. Also the number of files in VA's Open File in Solution dialog with the same name. If there are an odd number of files this might help to explain what is going wrong.

Go to Top of Page

FWillen

Germany
45 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2011 :  10:53:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I will provide you with the following information:
- Dumpfile of VS2005
- Number of files in "VA's Open File" dialog
- the full path of the two files

Did I forget something?
I can't promise that this behaviour is reproducable. In the past, it wasn't. And it doesn't occour very often.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18750 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2011 :  12:57:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can you also include the full path of the file or files you expected Alt-O to open please. This sounds like a good set of information, hopefully it will shed some light on this.

The fact that the problem cannot be reproduced is really odd, since Alt-O should always do the same thing, given the same solution and initial file.

Go to Top of Page

FWillen

Germany
45 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2011 :  03:12:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi feline,

I had the problem that Create from Usage defines the variable in the wrong project. I created logfiles, a dump file of VS2005, checked the number of files in VA's Open File Dialog and the full path of both files. (see Case 59274).

I saved the current state of the project for debugging issues but I'm not sure if it works.

After manually adding the variable to the correct project Auftrag60, VA was working correctly (I tried adding another variable to the structure Globvar).

Here my post in the contact formular.

I hope, this will help.

Hi,

I'm using Visual Studio 2005 and VA Version 10.6.1854.0 built 2011.07.18.

This problem maybe the same like case=56104. VA gets confused with two projects (This time with Create from Usage). Please look at:
All Forums
Visual Assist X
General Release
In some projects Refactoring is not working

I wanted to add a member to the structure Globvar. GlobVar is definined in file structure.h in Project Auftrag60 and there is only one global variable gv in project Auftrag60.

Additional there is one another file structure.h in project lager60 with another definition of Globvar with another global variable gv in lager60.

Now I was in the file transport.cpp in project Auftrag60. I typed in gv.cAusgelagertZielKanteNord and right clicked on the variable, choosed Refactor VA(x) => Create from Usage. In the dialog I changed the type of variable to CString and clicked on ok. The variable gv.cAusgelagertZielKanteNord was still underlined. I clicked on Go to definition and got a message, the symbol isn't defined. With find References I have found the problem: VA defined cAusgelagertZielKanteNord in the structure Globvar of Lager60 instead of Auftrag60. This behaviour is reproducable.

The full path of both structure.h:
1.: C:\\Programme\\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\\MyProjectsVS80\\Schueller\\TLF61\\Auftrag60\\structure.h
2.: C:\\Programme\\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\\MyProjectsVS80\\Schueller\\TLF61\\lager60\\structure.h

In Open File in Solution are 494 files displayed.

I hope this will help you!

best regards
Frank Willen
Go to Top of Page

FWillen

Germany
45 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2011 :  03:16:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I closed the project and reopend the project and add another variable to gobvar. VA added it again to the wrong project.
Go to Top of Page

FWillen

Germany
45 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2011 :  04:41:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Another info: Last week I got a new pc so this happend on a fresh installed system.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18750 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2011 :  5:17:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sadly it looks like this is case=56104. I have asked our developers what we can do about getting this fixed as soon as possible for you. Apologies for all of the problems this is causing you.

Go to Top of Page

FWillen

Germany
45 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2011 :  09:13:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Are there any news about my topic? It happened just again
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18750 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2011 :  2:37:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Unfortunately no progress on case=56104, which is the problem of two symbols in different projects with the same name, but it is down as a high priority bug.

Is this the problem you are seeing, or are you seeing the Alt-O problem?

Go to Top of Page

FWillen

Germany
45 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2011 :  12:39:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No, yesterday I had the problems with two symbols in different profects again. Suggesting wasn't working and I had to take a look after the correct spelling.
Go to Top of Page

FWillen

Germany
45 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2011 :  10:34:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Excuse me for replying again, do you make any progress on case=56104? The bug is still bugging me
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18750 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2011 :  2:29:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Unfortunately no progress to report yet on this, but it is down as a high priority bug, which hopefully means it will be looked at very soon.

Go to Top of Page

FWillen

Germany
45 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2011 :  04:53:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Feline,

can you give me a date, when you solve my issue? I'm waiting since march (since 8 month). That is much time to solve. We pay every year for support and it takes long to get a solution. Maybe we could talk about a gratis extension of our license.

Greetings
Frank
Go to Top of Page

kevinsikes
Tomato Guru

USA
271 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2011 :  11:43:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello Frank,

I'm sorry you are still experiencing trouble with this issue, and will contact you via your registered forum email to address your request.

Kevin Sikes
Infotainment Platform Design Engineer
Ford Motor Company
Go to Top of Page

FWillen

Germany
45 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2012 :  02:19:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi feline,

I wish you a happy new year! Are there any news about my issue?

Greetings
Frank
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18750 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2012 :  4:31:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A happy new year to you as well Unfortunately no news to report on your issue, but we are still very aware of this, and it is down as a very important bug to fix.

Go to Top of Page

FWillen

Germany
45 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2012 :  01:55:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Feline,

one year ago you could reproduce my case. As you have mentioned often, this is a very important bug. Is there any chance that you will solve this issue?

What are you doing with a low or normal priority bug? Do you need 10 years?

best regards
Frank
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000