Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 Display error on VAX Find Results

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
foxmuldr Posted - Jun 09 2024 : 11:18:14 AM
Today something weird happened, I did an Alt+Shift+F and the cyan prompt below came up. I've never seen it before, so I started looking through the settings on where that was set so I could have it always default to searching the solution, where I found the other issue with the checkbox overlay (https://forums.wholetomato.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=20661).

I'm writing today because the yellow part shows up there partially obscured when the window is narrow. It doesn't have a tooltip to show the content when you hover over it. My general Visual Studio window looks like this:

Minor to be sure. But, there it is. :-)

I'm also having a crash today in Visual Studio 2022 when I do anything involving VAX, such as Alt+Shift+F on some symbol, or attempting to bring up the VAX Options window. Not sure the cause there.

--
Rick C. Hodgin
3   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
feline Posted - Jun 11 2024 : 12:14:08 PM
VA reparsing everything is the expected behaviour after a crash. A crash can leave things in a bad state, and it is possible for a corrupt symbol database to cause problems, so it makes sense from this point of view to also reparse after a crash.

With the regular updates, modern Visual Studio is a moving target. A good thing when they are adding features you need, but it makes it harder to pin some things down.
foxmuldr Posted - Jun 11 2024 : 08:24:00 AM
Next day, I went in to a solution in Visual Studio 2022, and VA reparsed everything at startup without me telling it to do so.

Everything VA-related seems to work. Menu, Alt+Shift+F, etc.

Seems to have been a fluke. Modern Visual Studio is weird. It's not the rock solid, stable tool we had back in the 2000s. Day to day things break or work differently. Reboot, wait a few days, and it corrects itself. I don't like that.

--
Rick C. Hodgin
feline Posted - Jun 10 2024 : 10:13:30 AM
Find References Results trying to word wrap when the window is very small is a known problem that is on our list:

case=146058

A crash though, that is a different matter. An obvious first test, try disabling VA and see if this makes any difference. The fact that it happens on bringing up the VA options dialog is a concern though.

Have you tried rebooting? I am wondering if you could be running short on some form of resources. It seems really unlikely, but should be a quick and simple test to start with, depending on how many programs you have open and running.

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000