Feature Requests
 More Renaming options
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mmb

42 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2006 :  07:45:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I found myself quite often using the renaming feature of the newer VA, but miss some simple things:

1.) Quite often I know that I will restrict the renaming to the current file or some files. When working with big project I have to unselect a lot of files, which makes me unhappy ;-)
Please add an Select ALL/Unselect ALL or Invert Selection button to the rename dialog.

2.) Maybe an option "Rename only in this file" would be sufficient sometimes. This could be done with 1. but I always have to wait until all files are parsed, because Cancel closes the Rename dialog.

3.) Even if I want to rename in the whole project, sometimes other subprojects are in my solution. It's difficult to filter them out, because the files in the Rename dialog are not sorted.
Plase add an button "sort files" to the Rename dialog or sort them by default (by directories).

4.) Maybe a selection box "rename only in this projects" would be even better, where one can select the subprojects on which the renaming is restricted. This should automatically deselect files which are NOT in the selected projects.

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18754 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2006 :  08:09:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I see why multiple projects would confuse rename, but why do you need to restrict rename to just the current file? I am wondering if some other method might be better.

The only time I have ever had this problem is when I copy an existing cpp and .h file pair, and then rename the class, to create a new class from an existing class.

In this case it is actually better to use the IDE's find and replace to rename the class, since this renames in comments as well, and is faster

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

mmb

42 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2006 :  08:53:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Renaming in just one file makes sense if you have to replace a type with another one that is local to the current file, ie.

class A : B {}

replace all B to A (but only in the current file). It makes even sense in replacing function calls by others (as I often have to do in C projects).
And no, I don't want simple text replace, bacause B might be (and often is in my case because we use doxygen which adds typenames by itself) a meaningful word in the comments and never a type name ...
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18754 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2006 :  12:03:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This makes sense. It is not quite what rename was designed to do, but I can see how it would be very useful here. I have put in a feature request for select all, select none on the rename dialog

case=4087

renaming by project or sub-project is not as easy as it sounds. what happens when a single cpp or .h file is included in more than one project? is this file updated or not?

sorting the items has come up before

case=2402

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2008 :  07:30:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
case=4087 is implemented in build 1707 (per-project results may be checked/unchecked at once)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000