New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

grandchain

United Kingdom
22 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2008 :  10:57:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

I've just found myself wishing several times for a way to limit the scope of a symbol rename. I've been copying files around to use as the basis for new files, and I've wanted to rename occurences of the symbol:

• within a selected section of a file

• within the current file only

• within the current project only

Currently to achieve the last two, I need to go through and de-select all other files/all files in other projects.

It would be really neat if these could be added as options on the Rename... dialog.

Cheers,

Ian

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18750 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2008 :  1:39:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have you considered using the IDE's find and replace feature?

I do understand what you are after, I have done the same thing often enough myself. However I often copy both a cpp and its matching header file. So suddenly I need "just these two files". Under these conditions I find the IDE's find and replace to be the best solution, since that is designed to run only on the current file, or only on the selected text.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

grandchain

United Kingdom
22 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2008 :  3:50:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi feline,

Search and replace was what I ended up using for the single cpp & h, though even here it would have been easier through the Rename dialog. However, I also found myself copying a whole project, stripping out some files, and then renaming some of the basic classes throughout the project. I had to go through all the files in the solution which referenced these classes and de-select the files from other projects to achieve this one - somewhat error-prone.

A simple option which would make this sort of operation easier (though I still think it would be neater to have the filters) would be a Select All check box along the lines of the TortoiseSVN commit dialog - clicking once would select all and have a check. Clicking again would select none and have no check.

I do find the Rename dialog easier to use generally than Search and Replace, even within a single file - I can see what's going to be changed up front and double-check it's what I want, and I just have to tweak the name, rather than having to tab to the replace box and type in the replacement (which is usually similar to what's being replaced).

Cheers,

Ian
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18750 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2008 :  2:14:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We are looking into adding the ability to check or uncheck all of the check boxes in the Rename dialog in one go:

case=4087

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2008 :  07:30:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
case=4087 is implemented in build 1707 (per-project results may be checked/unchecked at once)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000