.Net requests
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sosedada

USA
36 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2008 :  12:44:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Most of my .NET coding thus far has been in C#, and I'm now doing a fair bit of C++/cli coding. If VA had a replace . with :: feature, I might cry and all the recompiles I would be saved. Basically should work just like replace . with -> except operate on namespaces and typenames.

Another thing I would love is a keyboard shortcut to transform a .cs file to look like its metadata - ie just the public interface. Similar to looking at a C++ header. I don't want any code folding or regions, just a simple display of the functions/properties. I guess something similar to VA Outline, but in the text editor.

accord
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
3287 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2008 :  3:29:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We are considering to implement a . to :: conversion at some point:

case=12602

About converting cs to a header-like file: this is the main purpose of VA Outline, so I don't understand why do you want to do something like this conversion
Go to Top of Page

sosedada

USA
36 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2008 :  3:43:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'll keep a look out for 12602, thanks.

So, I've been trying to work with VA Outline today. Its pretty nice. Real estate is the main reason why I would prefer something similar to my suggestion.

I like to avoid the mouse as much as possible. I added a keyboard shortcut to show the Outline, so that's ok, but now I've only got a third of the horizontal space of the text view. So I have to hope that I'm not here to look at the list of parameters. Even worse for C++ where each line for a function name in c++ is prepended with a ClassName:: stealing horizontal space.

I don't know for sure how I would even like it to work (public only, public and private, comments, etc), I just know when I hit my Go To Implementation key and its a .Net class I don't have source for and VS generates the metadata version, I am pleased with the clarity.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18755 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2008 :  10:05:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We are looking to make a change to VA Outline to remove the class name from functions when they are a child of a parent node which gives the class name, which should help it to take up less space:

case=13240

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2008 :  07:33:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
case=13240 is implemented in build 1707
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly