New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

KRG

USA
31 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2024 :  5:16:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

I've getting a ton of input lag and high CPU usage when just typing and trying to autocomplete variable/function names with VAX and a 144hz monitor. Dropping the refresh rate to 60hz or disabling VAX fixes the issue.

I will need to switch to a 240hz monitor soon for work and this is going to be a real problem as the lag is worse on my 165hz monitor at home than on my 144hz at work.

If I do a profile capture, each time I hit a key, the VAX main thread spikes and stalls out everything. This is on a Threadripper PRO 5975WX.

This isnt the first time I've had issue with VAX and high refresh rate monitors. It would really be appreciated if you could improve this, given how prevalent high refresh rate monitors are in the game industry.

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18833 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2024 :  07:46:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Which IDE are you using? If you are using VS2022 which version are you using?

We have had reports of performance problems before with high refresh rate monitors, but so far have struggled to reproduce them. Someone else reported performance problems on a high refresh rate monitor in VS2022 a couple of weeks ago, but for them, updating to the latest version of VS2022 seemed to fix the problem.

So I am wondering if the version of VS2022 could be a factor.

If this doesn't help, or isn't an option, can you please try the following to produce logs that should help our developers to understand what is going on here:

- have an instance of visual studio running which you can reproduce in
- start a separate instance of visual studio
- start debug > performance profiler
- choose running process as your target, and select the devenv process you will reproduce in
- check cpu usage under available tools
- click start
- reproduce the issue for several seconds in the other ide
- click stop collection
- optionally note the start and stop times of your reproduction so we can narrow our search
- save the diagnostic report using file > save *.diagsession as...
- send the file to us by sharing a onedrive or other file service link (as it will be too large for email)

For email, you can send me the link via email:

[email protected]

including this thread ID or URL in the description, so we can match it up. This way no need to post it here to the forum.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

KRG

USA
31 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2024 :  1:36:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Okay, updating VS from 17.9.7 to 17.10.1 also seems to have resolved the issue. So it is version related, both my issues seem to be 17.9.7.
Go to Top of Page

KRG

USA
31 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2024 :  5:15:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Actually never mind, the issue is back. I've emailed you a profile.
Go to Top of Page

theodoreevans
Starting Member

USA
1 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2024 :  11:08:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
it does seem like there could be a potential correlation between the version of Visual Studio 2022 and performance problems on high refresh rate monitors. The fact that someone else reported similar issues, and that updating to the latest version resolved the problem for them, suggests that the specific VS2022 version could be a contributing factor

Edited by - theodoreevans on Jun 05 2024 11:09:25 PM
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18833 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2024 :  11:05:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have the log files, many thanks for this. I have asked our developers about this, hopefully the logs will help to explain what is going wrong here:

case=164603

Having this bug be dependent on the exact version of VS2022 isn't ideal, but these things do happen.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000