Code Inspection Results more visible
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

FriendlyRabbit

Germany
20 Posts

Posted - May 23 2024 :  04:45:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
After my initial happiness with Code Inspections, I must admin that I cannot really integrate them into my workflow. I usually forget to to actively open the code inspection results.

I would prefer code inspection results to be more visible. My first suggestion was to show them as warnings in the compiler output, because that is where I always check.

Now I have noticed that code inspections with a level get underlined in the source code. So assigning a level to all inspections would resolve my issue. Or are there inspections which cannot be underlined?

I think this is a good tip for other users who have the same issue.

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18843 Posts

Posted - May 23 2024 :  07:27:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In the VA options dialog you can change the level for each of the Code Inspections. We have set default levels to make the more "serious" checks more obvious, and the more minor checks less obvious. But if you increase the level of all of them, they will all be made more obvious in the editor.

More details on this are given here:

https://docs.wholetomato.com/default.asp?W760

Hopefully this helps to make these results more obvious for you.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

FriendlyRabbit

Germany
20 Posts

Posted - May 23 2024 :  07:47:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for the link. I made most inspections level 3 to 5 because I find the blue color easy to see but not unpleasently disturbing.

I must say that I can hardly see the yellow for level 2 on a white background. Maybe you should make it a little darker, like a yellow-orange. I have attached a screenshot to make my point clear. The thin yellow line blends with the white background.

Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18843 Posts

Posted - May 24 2024 :  06:49:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree, that is very subtle. But we did want the low priority results to be subtle by default, since if you have a block of code with quite a lot of them all together, the highlighting can get a bit much. You should see the test file I have put together for Code Inspections, highlighting of one sort or another on every other line

Go to Top of Page

FriendlyRabbit

Germany
20 Posts

Posted - May 24 2024 :  07:23:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think level 1 and 2 are high priority and level 4 to 5 are low priority right? So level 2 should not be too subtle. I just noticed that I can configure the colors myself, which is quite nice, also for people with color blindness. Regardless, I recommend to tweak the yellow by default.

Please also consider that if I enable code inspections, I have a motivation to fix them. Hence they usually won't clutter my view. In that regard, your test file is not the typical usecase.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18843 Posts

Posted - May 27 2024 :  12:51:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is fair, I have put in a feature request to change the default colour when using a white background:

case=164571

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000