Whole Tomato Software Forums
Whole Tomato Software Forums
Main Site | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
User name:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your password?

 All Forums
 Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 VS2022 Preview 4.0 with VAX causes a hang on start
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

msew
Ketchup Master

91 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2021 :  6:57:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
VS2022 Preview 4.0 with VAX causes a hang on start up


I am using Unreal Engine 4.27.0


If I do:

0) GenerateProjectFiles.bat

1) then open it in VS2022 with VAX: Build 2021.3 Release date: 2021.07.28

2) Visual Studio will hang with VAX trying to parse all of the files (it seems)


I waited around 90 minutes and it never finished.



I then disabled VAX and restarted VS and loaded the same .sln. And Visual Studio loaded correctly.



In VS2022 Preview 3.1, this did not occur and everything worked great!



So it looks like VS2022 Preview 4.0 broke something in VAX :-(




ChrisG
Whole Tomato Software

USA
247 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2021 :  8:30:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We are seeing the issue here and are looking into it. I apologize for the down time.

Thank you for taking the time to report the problem.

Edited by - ChrisG on Sep 14 2021 8:30:35 PM
Go to Top of Page

Bidonjour
New Member

France
3 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2021 :  08:58:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Same issue here, can't use Visual Studio 2022 Preview 4 with VAX.

Edited by - Bidonjour on Sep 15 2021 08:59:20 AM
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
17384 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2021 :  11:17:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For reference, the bug report is:

case=146206

No updates just at the moment, but we are working on this.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

Bidonjour
New Member

France
3 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2021 :  04:48:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks !
Go to Top of Page

ttesty
New Member

8 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2021 :  10:01:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a fix/workaround: block PerfWatson2.exe in your app locker/SRS. Then VAX is completely usable in VS 2022 Preview 4.1.

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\2022\Preview\Common7\IDE\PerfWatson2.exe

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Safer\CodeIdentifiers etc..
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Safer\CodeIdentifiers etc..
Go to Top of Page

ttesty
New Member

8 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2021 :  10:26:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There's a handy tool (AskAdmin) to block executables (like above): https://www.sordum.org/7941/askadmin-v1-8 and there are other utilities as well if you don't want to hit the registry manually.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
17384 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2021 :  07:56:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Interesting, thank you, I am seeing the same result here. I have had to use the AskAdmin program to test this for now, since I don't yet know what registry edit you are supposed to use to achieve the same result.

I have added this to the bug report. We are currently working on a full fix for this problem, and will hopefully have something soon.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

ttesty
New Member

8 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2021 :  09:29:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by feline

Interesting, thank you, I am seeing the same result here. I have had to use the AskAdmin program to test this for now, since I don't yet know what registry edit you are supposed to use to achieve the same result.

I have added this to the bug report. We are currently working on a full fix for this problem, and will hopefully have something soon.



quote:
Originally posted by feline

Interesting, thank you, I am seeing the same result here. I have had to use the AskAdmin program to test this for now, since I don't yet know what registry edit you are supposed to use to achieve the same result.

I have added this to the bug report. We are currently working on a full fix for this problem, and will hopefully have something soon.



You can alternatively rename: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\2022\Preview\Common7\IDE\PerfWatson2.exe to another filename and try. It should work fine - just another way to do the same trick. I replied to you directly by e-mail.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
17384 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2021 :  11:08:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is a simpler solution. Looking online, I am reading that there was a setting in VS2019 to disable "PerfWatson2.exe", but the setting location does not seem to exist in VS2022 preview, so I am not sure how "stable" this solution will be going forward.

Either way, we will try and find a fix inside VA so this doesn't have to be disabled to work with the IDE, but work arounds are good

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

ttesty
New Member

8 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2021 :  1:34:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by feline

That is a simpler solution. Looking online, I am reading that there was a setting in VS2019 to disable "PerfWatson2.exe", but the setting location does not seem to exist in VS2022 preview, so I am not sure how "stable" this solution will be going forward.

Either way, we will try and find a fix inside VA so this doesn't have to be disabled to work with the IDE, but work arounds are good



Microsoft should hopefully deliver a proper fix on their end for the PerfWatson2.exe matter. The suggested workaround is very effective for now, but you have to be mindful of all the implications and should likely revert before your next VS upgrade. This will be interesting to watch.
Go to Top of Page

ttesty
New Member

8 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2021 :  11:49:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ttesty

quote:
Originally posted by feline

That is a simpler solution. Looking online, I am reading that there was a setting in VS2019 to disable "PerfWatson2.exe", but the setting location does not seem to exist in VS2022 preview, so I am not sure how "stable" this solution will be going forward.

Either way, we will try and find a fix inside VA so this doesn't have to be disabled to work with the IDE, but work arounds are good



Microsoft should hopefully deliver a proper fix on their end for the PerfWatson2.exe matter. The suggested workaround is very effective for now, but you have to be mindful of all the implications and should likely revert before your next VS upgrade. This will be interesting to watch.



An alternative (likely safer approach - this also disables PerfWatson2.exe):

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\VSCommon\17.0\SQM
OptIn => 0x0 (DWORD)

REG ADD HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\VSCommon\17.0\SQM /v OptIn /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2021 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000