Technical Support
 Total abomination with VA suggestions
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

pedro123a

36 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2019 :  9:16:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

So, I type `const std::string` and at this point I'm ready to type `&` char. See what suggestions VA offers, and most importantly I don't understand WTF it accepts this ridiculous first suggestion when I type the `&` character? WTF is that seriously, pure abomination. Since when `&` became char to accept suggestions!? It just drives me crazy then VA offers to change something when whatever was manually entered is already a correct fully qualified type or a variable name. Can you please fix this extreme annoyance?

And can you please fix your forums. It's almost 2020 outside, 20 years since 2000, but you still required some image upload instead of simply Ctrl+V to paste screenshot.

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
16086 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2019 :  06:28:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Which IDE and version of VA are you using?

Do you have the VA option:

VA Options -> Enhanced Listboxes -> Commit selection with - Additional characters

turned On of Off? If this is turned On, can you try turning this Off and see if this makes any difference?

So far I cannot reproduce the listbox being accepted in this situation with '&', testing using VS2017 and VA 2341.2 with commit selection with additional characters turned Off.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
16086 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2019 :  06:31:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Upgrading the forum isn't currently a priority, since the current system works. It is a matter of finite resources and focusing them where they can do the most good.

Go to Top of Page

pedro123a

36 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2019 :  1:52:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I use vs2015 and latest VA. These are the settings:

Go to Top of Page

pedro123a

36 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2019 :  2:03:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This whole thing seems broken big time. When I type `std::strin` I see `string` suggestion that makes sense. The moment I press `g` suggestion changes to that insane `queue<std::string>`, I don't see any logic in that suggestion AT ALL. Imo suggestions should predict/propose what I want to type next, and AND NOT what I didn't type before that (ed `queue<` part would need to be before std::string, not after it).
Also, just like you weren't able to repro with `&` I don't get that behavior right now. But I can assure you that when I reported it, I tried it multiple times and it was 100% reproducible that `&` was making VA selecting that `queue<std::string>`, also I tried to enable that `Additional characters` option now and I still don't get that insane behavior when `&` was making that selection. So, not sure what you guys do in the code, but I do get these types of things happening that drive me crazy. The only thing that's unusual with my setup is that I have more than one workstations and I mostly work through rdp. I do win10 to win10 connection, or macos to win10 using MS's remote desktop. When I had the problem I was using win10-win10 over mstsc.

Edited by - pedro123a on Aug 19 2019 2:07:40 PM
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
16086 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2019 :  2:48:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for the information about remote desktop. Occasionally this has been known to be a factor, but I don't see how it would effect what the listbox is showing / selecting as you type.

Are you using the same keyboard layout / language on both the local and the remote machines? I am wondering if this could be a factor. If the key you are pressing on your local keyboard, and the key that Windows thinks you are pressing are different, then it can be rather confusing. But this does not explain everything, and does not explain why the & character stopped accepting the listbox.

So far I cannot get VA to include "queue<std.string>" in the listbox at this point, let alone every time I finish typing "string".

It would make a little bit of sense if you had:

VA Options -> Suggestions -> Include bits of code from surrounding lines

turned On, since then VA will look at what you have typed, and if it looks similar to something else, VA can suggest pieces of code. If so, turning this Off should stop this happening.

If you have the time can you please try making a new, default C++ solution, and see what VA does there when typing "std::string"? I am wondering if there is something in your main solution that is somehow confusing VA, or if this will happen everywhere.

Another thought, can you try pressing the button:

VA Options -> Performance -> Rebuild symbol databases

and then restart your IDE. I am wondering if a problem in VA's symbol database might be behind some of this, if so, this should help a bit.

Go to Top of Page

pedro123a

36 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2019 :  3:33:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'll try suggestions above. I enabled "Include bits of code from surrounding lines" will see if it changes anything.

One other issue I found:

/// <summary>
/// Set the underling URI of the request message.
/// </summary>
/// <param name="uri">The uri for this message.</param>
void set_request_uri(const uri& uri) { return _m_impl->set_request_uri(uri); }

No idea why some people like to call their vars with the same name as the type, as you can see here param is "const uri& uri". Alt+G when I place caret on type of `uri` doesn't bring me anywhere, it simply doesn't work.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
16086 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2019 :  09:37:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am seeing the same problem with the type and parameter name being the same. Like you, I have no idea why someone would want to do this, but yes, it is confusing VA. I think this is covered by:

case=90920

In passing, your code has no return type (void) but it is returning something.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2019 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000