New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mcmalburg

USA
3 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2022 :  1:57:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When using VS2022 (C# .NET WinForms). I get the IntelliCode suggestions:

However, the [Tab] or sometimes [Tab][Tab] key doesn't work as indicated. I'd love to take advantage these suggestions along with Visual Assist.

How do I allow them both?

Thx.

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18751 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2022 :  06:39:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Using VS2022 version 17.3.0 and VA 2451 I have created a new, default C# WinForms app for Windows, and added this function. I get this suggestion, plus the suggestion for:

return true;

when pressing enter to create the blank line inside the function body. Both are always accepted on Tab for me, I have tried both 10 times now, on a couple of different machines.

Which version of VA are you using? Can you reproduce this problem in a new, default solution? It is possible that the problem you are seeing is somehow solution dependent, but I don't see why it should be.

Assuming you can reproduce this in a test solution, would you be able to send me both your test solution, and your VA and IDE settings, so I can try the same solution and settings here:

VA Options -> Performance -> Export Settings
IDE tools menu -> Import and Export Settings -> Export selected environment settings

If so please send me the files via email:

[email protected]

including this thread ID or URL in the description, so we can match it up.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

mcmalburg

USA
3 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2022 :  08:59:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the reply. This seems to randomly happen, almost like it's a timing thing. Sometimes [Tab] or [Tab][Tab] will work as indicated, most of the time it wont.

I'm using the latest VS2022 version and this has been going on with the last two Visual Assist builds (just updated prior to posting).

The solution that I've found (after posting) is to use the arrow key rather than the tab key to accept the suggestion. This seems to be working quite well.
Go to Top of Page

Uniwares
Tomato Guru

Portugal
2320 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2022 :  09:14:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
@mcmalburg, by any chance you have the GitLab Copilot? May interfere since they use the same TAB mechanism. Had some troubles with that too.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18751 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2022 :  10:34:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
VA should not be responding to Tab, since there is no sign of any VA listbox in the screen shot, or any of my tests. Your experiences definitely suggest a timing problem.

If you wait several seconds before pressing Tab once does this have any effect? I am wondering if going slowly is reliable, either reliably working or reliably failing.

What effect, if any, does turning off VA via:

VAssistX -> Enable/Disable Visual Assist X

on this problem? Just to make sure that VA is actually a factor here.

Go to Top of Page

Mathetis

5 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2023 :  4:58:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
On this topic, in C#, I have found that Visual Assist listboxes conflict with Intellicode suggestions. Intellicode will flash briefly or need to be reinvoked. The default listboxes do not have this issue (and the suggestion can be completed with a right arrow). Pressing right arrow in a VAX listbox dismisses both. I think this behavior could be changed to better integrate Intellicode, Github Copilot, and VAX suggestions + listboxes.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18751 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2023 :  09:55:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
First up, which IDE and version of VA are you using?

What sorts of things can be completed with a right arrow, and how are you triggering these things?

In order to start with something simple, I am using VS2022 version 17.6.5, with NO VA installed, so a clean system. I have created a new, default C# console app, and just typing:

con

on a new line in a function gives me an IDE listbox. Pressing the right arrow simply dismisses this listbox, which is what I would expect, but needed to double check.

On a VS2022 system with VA 2491.0 I am getting pale grey code suggestions that are inside the editor and offer to complete the current line of code, and I am getting VA suggestion listboxes at the same time. This is a screen shot of what I am seeing:

if I use the menu command:

VAssistX -> Enable/Disable Visual Assist X

to disable VA, and thus stop VA listboxes appearing, and retype the space to trigger the pale suggestion again, the right arrow key moves the caret and dismisses the suggestion.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000