Create Implementation Location
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

samaursa

Canada
47 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2010 :  1:43:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is a small suggestion, but would help greatly in my workflow. I follow a certain pattern when I create my functions, that is I group them together in certain ways so that they appear in the header and implementation file in a certain order. Currently, when I declare a new function and ask VA to create the implementation, it creates it at the bottom of implementation file. In a large file, moving the function can be a little bit of a pain even with VA outline. This multiplied by a lot of classes and you can see the distraction and time that can be wasted.

My suggestion is to allow (maybe with a checkbox?) an implementation to be created under the function it is currently on in the header file. So if I have a header like so:

quote:
class MyClass
{
public:
SomeFunction(); // Already implemented
AnotherFunction(); // Not yet implemented
Function1(); // Already implemented
Function2(); // Already implemented
};

and I use VA to implement AnotherFunction() it would be great if VA squeezes it in between the implementations of SomeFunction() and Function1() instead of the current behavior where it puts the implementation after Function2() requiring a manual cut and paste OR drag/drop using VA outline.

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18749 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2010 :  5:25:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is something that has come up before, and that we are hoping to improve at some point. The basic problem is that in general we cannot assume that the header and .cpp file have any similarity in function ordering at all. Which then complicates things.

As you say, looking for the position of the implementation of the function above is a good rule of thumb, and should work fairly well in most cases:

case=12454

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

beylevem
Tomato Guru

102 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2011 :  10:23:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Could I make a request for "Extract Method" along similar lines? Most often, the functionality logically belongs with the method being extracted from, and I would like to see it appear just above the method from which it was extracted
Go to Top of Page

sean
Whole Tomato Software

USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2015 :  8:17:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
case=12454 is fixed in build 2059
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: