Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Mike ONeill
Tomato Guru

South Africa
103 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2010 :  01:19:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi

I have been noticing for some time now that acronyms are not behaving as they did , certainly since build 1738 and maybe earlier. I recall thare was some change to listbox behaviour recently .

Take for example

specificationList = new List<Specification>();

specificationList = specificationManager.SpecificationList(parameterID, materialID, sampleTypeID);

specificationBindingSource.DataSource = specificationList;

I have a binding source acronym <sbs> which works fine mostly, it maybe an uncommon mix of letters.

But when teh acronym has lots of matches , I get chaos.

If I type <sl> to get the SpecificationList , I get an assortment of suggestions but rarely what I want . Normally SortedList<>.

Ditto specificationManager <sm> suggests SecurityManager ( my code this time)

If I have just used SpecificationList , it appears on the top of the list with a single <s> but if I complete the acronym <sl> it dissapears . The suggestions normally are not my code they are .Net objects.

the behaviour is aos erratic , but it sure causes chaos when you are typing quickly an depending on teh acronyms to work for you

I have other addins , but disabling (even uninstalling ) them doesn't help (CodeRush Express is the only editor possible clash)

Cheers Mike

VS 2008 SP1 -- Vista Business SP1
Build 1738

accord
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
3287 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2010 :  1:48:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for the detailed description of the problem.
We always fine tune suggestions and introduce smaller or bigger changes to make it better which can cause behavior change in other areas. (For example, recently we introduced context dependent suggestion listboxes.)

Suggestion listboxes are just guesses from VA about what you might be typing, so the longer you type, the better suggestions you get. With acronym, VA have even more variations of possible outcomes. I would suggest you to type more to get more precise suggestions. Generally speaking, a 5 letter long string is long enough if you don't want to wait for the list to appear and just want to press enter. For your examples:

speli for SpecificationList
or
spema for specificationManager

As you can see, VA searches everywhere when you use acronyms, and not only the capitals.

Alternatively, you can use VA snippets to get what you want, because VA snippets have the highest priority in VA listboxes. So if you create a snippet with the keyword "sm", specificationManager will always be the default in VA listboxes, so you can type sm<enter> very quickly without risking anything.

Edited by - accord on Jan 24 2010 2:38:45 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000