force visual assist to load
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

peterchen
Tomato Guru

126 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2010 :  3:42:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
(It's probably more of a Visual Studio quesiton, but that little addin of yours is involved, too )

When developing an addin, I typically hold down shift when starting the IDE, so it doesn't load addins (so that my addin isn't locked and can be written to).

However, when I go to "AddIn Manager..." and try to enable VAX, it is diabled again when I close and reopen this dialog, and of course all VAX commands remain disabled.

Any suggestions?
How do your developers deal with that?

accord
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
3287 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2010 :  03:37:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you use Windows 7 and hold shift down to launch a new Visual Studio instance then you can use middle mouse click to achieve this. Hope this helps.
Go to Top of Page

sean
Whole Tomato Software

USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2010 :  4:50:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We don't use the shift key technique to copy our addin in place. Building the addin dll does not automatically copy it into the install directory. We exit, copy and then restart.

That said, our addin dll is mostly a shim so it doesn't change very often. It forwards notifications/events/work on to our main dll in significant part to ease development on the IDE while using it at the same time. The debug version of our addin dll has logic to load alternative versions of VA_X.dll in different circumstances (we can be running one version and debugging a different version in another instance of the IDE - using the same addin dll in both).
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000