VA Without Project Files
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

nekoashi
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2009 :  2:14:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Apologies if this is a FAQ. Before I download the VA trial and put it through its paces, does VA work on a tree of sources files WITHOUT using VS project files? Language is C++.

Our build system does not rely on VS and there are no VS project files anywhere to be found. As a result, we navigate the source tree manually and fork off to a build command to build. I'd still like to take advantage of completion and search with VA, provided it supports that.

If someone could clarify, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks,

James

sean
Whole Tomato Software

USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2009 :  3:04:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
VA can be of some use in this type of scenario. However, without a project, you have no way of indicating to VA what directories should be used as 'include directories.' One option is to create an empty project just so that you can fill in the "Additional Include Directories" properties.

By default, if a solution is empty (contains only projects that have no files), then when you open a file, VA will parse all of the other files that are in the same directory as the opened file. This is the out of the box behavior you will experience with VA. You can enhance it by creating a dummy project to set the "Additional Include Directories" so that you can tell VA where other header files may be located (if they aren't in the same directory as the current file).
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000