Technical Support
 Multiple Versions of Same File Opened
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

rainbowrunner

5 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2009 :  11:02:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When using a VAX feature that causes a file to be opened, like Find Symbol, VAX can open the same file multiple times. This doesn't seem to happen always, only when the existing view of the document was opened from the solution explorer rather than by VAX.

The behaviour is harmful because Visual Studio apparently doesn't regard these as multiple views of the same document, so if you do a "Save All", which version ends up written to disk is arbitrary, yet both can be closed without a "Save Changes" dialogue. This causes code to be lost if you close a file with changes that were overwritten by the alternate version on disk.

accord
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
3287 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2009 :  10:35:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry to hear this. It sounds awful.

I've used Visual Assist for years, and I use Find Symbol very frequently, but never experienced anything like this.
So we have to find out that what caused this bug on your computer.

Do you use any other Visual Studio plugins?
Is this a new problem, or you have experienced this problem also with older versions?

Can you please go to:

VA Options -> System Info -> Copy Info

and paste the details (from the clipboard) into your reply. This will give us the basic information about your setup.

Edited by - accord on Jun 21 2009 10:37:33 AM
Go to Top of Page

rainbowrunner

5 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2009 :  6:26:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for taking the time to look into this. I realized that it's probably my weird setup that's causing it. The project I'm editing is at location
z:\\dev\\proj\\xxx
where "dev" is an NTFS junction point that redirects to
d:\\users\\rainbowrunner\\dev\\proj\\xxx\\
A file opened with the solution explorer is opened with the disk path
d:\\users\\rainbowrunner\\dev\\proj\\xxx\\whatever.cpp
(as indicated by the mouse-over tooltip on the file tab), whereas one opened by VAX shows the path
z:\\dev\\proj\\xxx\\whatever.cpp
even though they are the same file; so I assume this is a path comparison problem.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18702 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2009 :  12:45:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Which OS are you using?

Do you remember exactly how you created this junction? There seem to be a couple of different types of directory links available in Vista, so the type you are using / tool you used to make it might be a factor.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

rainbowrunner

5 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2009 :  8:58:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by feline

Which OS are you using?

Do you remember exactly how you created this junction? There seem to be a couple of different types of directory links available in Vista, so the type you are using / tool you used to make it might be a factor.

The OS is 64-bit Vista. The junction is a junction point as opposed to a symlink or hard link, created with Mark Russinovich's 'junction' tool. Here's the about box info in case it's any use:

Microsoft Visual Studio 2008
Version 9.0.21022.8 RTM
Microsoft .NET Framework
Version 3.5

Installed Edition: Professional

Microsoft Visual C# 2008   
Microsoft Visual C# 2008

Microsoft Visual C++ 2008   
Microsoft Visual C++ 2008

Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 Tools for Office  
Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 Tools for Office

Intel(R) C++ Compiler Integration   Package ID: w_cproc_p_11.0.072
Intel(R) C++ Compiler Integration for Microsoft Visual Studio* 2008, Version 11.0.759.2008 ,
Copyright (C) 2002-2008 Intel Corporation.
* Other names and brands may be claimed as the property of others

Visual Assist X   
For more information about Visual Assist X, see the Whole Tomato Software website at http://www.WholeTomato.com.
Copyright (c) 1997-2009 Whole Tomato Software, Inc.

VMDebugger
For more information about VMware Inc, see their website at
http://www.vmware.com
Copyright (c) 2008 VMware, Inc.

*edited by feline to make this narrower*

Edited by - feline on Jun 23 2009 1:17:45 PM
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18702 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2009 :  1:16:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So far I cannot reproduce the problem, using Vista 64 bit and junction 1.05, the latest version.

What is Z drive? Junction refused to let me create a Z drive that did not exist, so I just created a junction from C drive to C drive. When I opened my solution via this junction folder on C drive the paths always reported the junction path, and only one copy of the file was opened.

So I wonder if making a junction across drive letters is a factor.

Which version of VA are you using? I tested this with VA 1724.

Go to Top of Page

rainbowrunner

5 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2009 :  2:06:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm apparently using 1724 as well. Drive z is a real drive (partition) that just contains junctions to other places. The problem is still there when I open the same solution from its real path on drive d, which would seem to indicate that the "z" paths are somewhere in VA's cached parsing information, since the project file only contains relative paths with no mention of drive z.

I previously said this happens with any VA command that opens a file, which is wrong, sorry. It seems to be just Find Symbol.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18702 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2009 :  6:54:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have added a second hard drive to my virtual machine test environment, formatted it as NTFS and assigned it the drive letter Z.

I have created a junction point on this new Z drive, pointing at a solution on my C drive, and opened the solution via the Z drive directory.

There is still no sign of this problem.

Can you please try pressing the button:

VA Options -> Performance -> Rebuild symbol databases

and then restarting the IDE, and loading the problem solution via the Z drive junction. Does this make any difference, or are you still seeing the same problem?

It is possible something in VA's symbol database is a factor.

Go to Top of Page

sean
Whole Tomato Software

USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2009 :  8:01:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
rainbowrunner: you wrote that the problem is only with Find Symbol. How are you invoking that command?
Go to Top of Page

rainbowrunner

5 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2009 :  01:26:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry, but when I came to experiment with it this morning, the problem is gone. I've tried all the combinations I can think of of rebuilding the symbols in one place then opening the project from the other but they all work fine - files opened from the solution explorer have the same path as those opened by VA. I have rebooted the machine a couple of times since yesterday, so maybe that did it.

You can get the same effect of having a file open twice simply using "Open File" and opening it through the junction path or not depending on where the project is opened from, but that's not what I was doing before, it worked just from the solution explorer. Obviously this is an inherent problem with Visual Studio.

I'm sure you now think I'm a fruitcake I'll post again if I can reproduce it.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18702 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2009 :  12:13:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If this ever happens again it would be good to know what the trigger was.

I am wondering if opening the file via the "wrong" path with the IDE's Open File dialog might have triggered this somehow, since VA would have seen the same file with two different paths. Its not a very good theory, but it is possible.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000