Technical Support
 Hang under VS 2008...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Darren5

7 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2008 :  8:30:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've no idea if this is VA X hanging or VS 2008. Frankly, I've yet to see Visual Studio just... hang while I was typing a function name. I was still able to interact with the window gadgets (minimize, etc), but the editor was stuck forever with an hourglass mouse icon and shortly thereafter "Not Responding" appeared in the window title bar. I was able to run a second copy of Visual Studio and attach to the hung process but I was unable to determine what was wrong or how to get the program going again. It appears to have been stuck in an infinite loop, and *may* have been waiting on a thread (not 100% certain).

In the end I lost rather a lot of work.

Could you tell me what steps I should take to acquire useful information to allow you to examine this problem should it happen in the future? About the only information I can provide is that I had just typed a function name and when I typed the opening parenthesis, it instantly hung. The opening parenthesis itself did not appear.

Darren5

7 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2008 :  8:36:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It may also prove useful that I had not yet defined the function whose name I had typed, nor was there any declaration of the function.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18755 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2008 :  09:01:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you are able to save out a dump file from the second, attached IDE that might help.

To state the obvious this should not happen. Do you have any other IDE plugin's installed?

Also VS2008 has a feature to try and recover your code if the IDE crashes. That should have helped, should have offered to recover some of your lost work.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

Darren5

7 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2008 :  10:22:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
> VS2008 has a feature to try and recover your code if the IDE crashes.

I was *really* hoping that particular feature of VS would kick in when I finally decided to kill the process but it made no mention of unsaved files when I re-ran it and loaded my solution, much to my sorrow.

The install of VS is pretty fresh; about a week before the crash. VAX was installed on the same day as VS, and both have been in heavy use ever since. The only other VS plug-in I've got is Visual SVN, which was installed the day before the crash.

Needless to say, I'm now a bit paranoid about saving my work every ten lines of code or less (which is probably a good thing anyway), though I'm actually hoping this happens again so I can gather more information about it.
Go to Top of Page

Darren5

7 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2008 :  12:31:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For some reason, when I got into work this morning, booted up my machine and ran VS, the file recovery mechanism kicked in and did indeed recover my files (thankfully).

I've no idea why this mechanism did not work when I re-ran VS on Friday.
Go to Top of Page

nmcfarlane

3 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2008 :  11:46:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Myself and a colleague have also experienced VS2008 "hanging", in that the code editor suddenly stops responding to keystrokes. There are no other symptoms except the inability to write text. Disabling VA restores the editor's functionality, but re-enabling VA brings the problem back. The file has to be closed and re-opened to fix it.

We are running VA 10.4.1647.0 on Win XP.

Is this a known problem ?
Thanks
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18755 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2008 :  08:58:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is not a known problem, and this should not happen.

If you switch to a different file in the IDE can you still type in that file? I am wondering if the problem really is file specific or not.

Do you have any other IDE plugin's installed? We have just had a report of typing getting really slow with SlickEdit gadgets installed along side VA, so this might be something similar.

If this was a "simple" parser problem then closing and reopening the file should not make any difference.

When this happens can you move the caret through the file by using the mouse? I am wondering if the problem effects the entire file, or if it only effects certain parts of the file.

Can you run a CPU monitor please and see if there is a lot of CPU usage while you are trying to type? If the CPU (or one core) is maxed out this might help explain things.

Go to Top of Page

nmcfarlane

3 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2008 :  08:37:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When the hanging problem occurs, I am able to use the tab and backspace keys, but not the alphanumeric keys. I cannot type anywhere else in the file, but I can type in other files which are open in the same project. In fact, going to another file, typing one letter and coming back seems to cure the problem.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18755 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2008 :  12:53:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is this solution stored on a local drive or some form of network drive?

What programming language are you working in?

Do you have any other IDE plugin's installed?

Go to Top of Page

nmcfarlane

3 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2008 :  10:30:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just got the hang-up again. (I think it always happens when I'm typing in a comment section, although I wouldn't swear to this) I checked the CPU, but it hardly had any activity. I am using C++, there are no other plug-ins, and everything is on a local drive. My colleague has not seen the problem for a while, possibly because he installed VS 2008 service pack 1, so I will try this and see if it disappears.
Thanks
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18755 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2008 :  10:32:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Strange, I hope that SP1 helps. I do not recognise this problem, but clearly it is going to cause a lot of problems.

If this was a "standard" VA parser problem then I would expect one core on your CPU to be running at 100%. Since that is not happening, and this is not a network problem I am not sure what is causing it. Some form of interaction with another process, an anti-virus scanner perhaps is possible.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000