Opening Correspong class from dialog
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

DoctorSlicer

5 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2008 :  4:42:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi All,

I'm running VS2005 C++. When you have a dialog open, is there an easy way to open the corresponding class?

Thanks in advance,

Terry

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18751 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2008 :  07:32:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't understand the question, but I suspect the answer is no.

What sort of dialog are you talking about? There are a large number of dialog's in the IDE. Any non modal dialog, that allows you to place keyboard focus into the editor and edit text should not get in the way.

By corresponding class do you mean VA's alt-o feature, for opening the corresponding file?

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

DoctorSlicer

5 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2008 :  2:28:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The situation is I have the resource/dialog editor open on a dialog that I am editing, I would like to go to the corresponding class associated with that dialog. In VS6 you used to be able to right click on the dialog and go to the Class View and then to the class. In VS2005, with right click the you only see an Add Class or Add Variable. There is no easy way to get to an existing class.

Sorry for my late reply and the confusion.

Terry
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18751 Posts

Posted - Feb 29 2008 :  08:30:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How are you producing this "dialog"?

I have a win32 project open. In the resource view I have double clicked on a dialog in a tab in the IDE. Right clicking on the dialog and selecting Properties just produces the docked properties window.

I still have full access to the tabs showing the other open files, and I can trigger VA's OFIS and Find Symbol dialogs from the IDE VAssistX menu.

Go to Top of Page

DoctorSlicer

5 Posts

Posted - Feb 29 2008 :  1:13:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm not looking for the properties. I'm looking an easy way to open the corresponding class associated with the dialog that you opened from the resource view.

We have lots of dialogs in our applications and it is much easier to track something down by finding the dialog.

Thanks,

Terry

Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18751 Posts

Posted - Feb 29 2008 :  1:59:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I understand now. Are the dialog names related to the class names in any way?

Go to Top of Page

DoctorSlicer

5 Posts

Posted - Feb 29 2008 :  2:25:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not consistently.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18751 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2008 :  09:03:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am wondering how VA would know which class was connected with which dialog. If the class names and the dialog names were similar then you could use VA's Find Symbol dialog to locate the class, since you would know its name.

If this is not an option, running a Find in Files for the dialog ID / name might help, but this is likely to be slow.

Go to Top of Page

lucwens

9 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2016 :  2:25:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would also like a feature like that.
Now, when I'm in the resource editor with the dialog open, and I want to go to the corresponding class (classwizard should do its job here, but most of the time, opening classwizard will not select the associated dialog class, I'm using vc2010 and vc2015), I have to do all the next steps:
- in the properties select the ID
- shift-alt-S to open VAssist Find Symbol
- paste the ID, this will take me to the resource.h (which then closes my dialog box in the resource editor, which I don't want)
- then use VAssist find reference (Ctrl Q while having the mouse on the ID in resource.h), in 2015 this will finally lead me to the definition in the dialog class where it says "enum (IDD = ID_OF_DIALOG". In 2010 this does not work, so I have to use find in files to find this line

pretty cumbersome.
It would be a nice feature of VAssist if you, while in the resource editor, could go directly to the dialog class using the ID of the dialog.

I am using 2108

Go to Top of Page

accord
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
3287 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2016 :  10:56:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When I open the class wizard, I can go to my classes. For example, if I click on the "Methods" tab in VS2015, I can go to any of the method's Definition or Declaration, including the constructor. Does classwizard opens and works for you?

quote:
most of the time, opening classwizard will not select the associated dialog class

What do you mean by that? Does this mean that the "Methods" tab lists methods of the wrong class?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000