Feature Requests
 Renaming files
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

imp_galo

3 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2007 :  07:30:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It would be very interesting if Visual Assist could rename a class file when renaming a class name and update the includes referencing the renamed file.

VAX refactoring is very useful indeed (thats why I use it so much), but would save a lot of time if I have this feature. Because when I rename a class name I have to rename the .cpp and the .h, and fix the references to the include file (fortunately, the syncronization with the source control repository already is done by ankhsvn).

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18749 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2007 :  11:22:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We are considering this idea, but have no immediate plans to try and do this. One reason is possible problems with source control systems. If we automatically rename files you can use the file history, and trying to plug into and update any number of different source control systems is not going to happen :)

case=1463

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

sl@sh
Tomato Guru

Switzerland
204 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2007 :  07:27:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As much as I like this idea feline has the right of it: althhough subversion does support file renaming many SCCs don't, so offering this feature is asking for trouble.

Regarding the change of the include statements find&replace shouold do the job just fine.

However, changing a class name does require some work, and maybe VA could help with that: any constructors, any forward declaration, any variable or type declarations based on the class need to be changed, and of course any explicit call of constructors as well. That's a lot of work, and I can already smell a lot of edge cases, but IMHO that *is* something VA could accomplish.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18749 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2007 :  2:41:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would expect Find References to already catch most of these cases. Have you run into any problems renaming a class with Find References?

There are some outstanding bugs with Find References, but over all it is quite reliable.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2012 :  2:03:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
case=1463 is implemented in build 1916
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: