Visual Assist
 Feature Requests
 Renaming files

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
imp_galo Posted - Dec 20 2007 : 07:30:22 AM
It would be very interesting if Visual Assist could rename a class file when renaming a class name and update the includes referencing the renamed file.

VAX refactoring is very useful indeed (thats why I use it so much), but would save a lot of time if I have this feature. Because when I rename a class name I have to rename the .cpp and the .h, and fix the references to the include file (fortunately, the syncronization with the source control repository already is done by ankhsvn).
4   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
support Posted - Sep 13 2012 : 2:03:31 PM
case=1463 is implemented in build 1916
feline Posted - Dec 21 2007 : 2:41:10 PM
I would expect Find References to already catch most of these cases. Have you run into any problems renaming a class with Find References?

There are some outstanding bugs with Find References, but over all it is quite reliable.
sl@sh Posted - Dec 21 2007 : 07:27:20 AM
As much as I like this idea feline has the right of it: althhough subversion does support file renaming many SCCs don't, so offering this feature is asking for trouble.

Regarding the change of the include statements find&replace shouold do the job just fine.

However, changing a class name does require some work, and maybe VA could help with that: any constructors, any forward declaration, any variable or type declarations based on the class need to be changed, and of course any explicit call of constructors as well. That's a lot of work, and I can already smell a lot of edge cases, but IMHO that *is* something VA could accomplish.
feline Posted - Dec 20 2007 : 11:22:57 AM
We are considering this idea, but have no immediate plans to try and do this. One reason is possible problems with source control systems. If we automatically rename files you can use the file history, and trying to plug into and update any number of different source control systems is not going to happen :)

case=1463

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000